One of my guitars has a fair bit of fret wear. I love the sound of the guitar, but I'm not sure it's worth a re-fret. As far as I can tell the most worn point is 38 thou (just under 1mm) high above the fret board. Do you think I can get away with a re-level and crown?
Ibanez SZ320MH WBR (2004)
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
JHS Vintage: V6SB (2000)
Tanglewood AJ870 AVS (1998)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
pics. you only wanna do a refret if its absolutely nessicary seeing as its going to cost over $200 easily.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
play em until you have fretless - thats the neil young way of doing it.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Honestly, a refret isn't important unless its hindering your playing. If it looks beat up buy plays/sounds fine then dont worry about it.

Plus its $200+ bucks for a refret! ($300+ on a maple board because you have to refinish afterwords) Hell when my strat gets to that point im just gonna get a new neck
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
The wear looks worse in real life. The unworn frets already seem a little low, but then it's not much different to my acoustic and my other guitar's got jumbos. This video shows it a bit better, but 35MB download. Fret Video

Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
^dude, that's nothing - you should see me LP's frets...much worse, and i can play as good as on the same day on them

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Smaller Video 7.5MB

On second thoughts it doesn't look as bad as I thought. Compared to the jumbo frets it looks like it's at the end of it's life, but compared to my acoustic it just looks like a bit of wear but nothing a level wouldn't sort out. More wear than I hoped for when I bought it though.
Ibanez RG320FM TL (2007)
Roland Cube 30X (2009)
Last edited by daveyb123 at Feb 15, 2009,