Can you just use any clip from a movie or tv show in your music without permission? I'm talking about trance and techno artists that sample lines from famous movies into their songs and whatnot, or did they have to literally get permission for every sample they use?
No. They need permission.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
How do you go about gaining permission? It doesn't seem like it can be all that hard since a lot of trance artists had tons of samples on their first albums before they were even big
Contacting the authors is the only I can think of atm.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
i think if its only over a certain length of time you need permission,

why dont you just record someone else saying the line trying to sound like it was sed originally? much easier
They don't ask for permission, If the moviemakers find out about it they will contact them or leave it alone since its only 7 sec or so, And they usually find it free publicity for their movie.
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Dude, I think I would know, Trivium invented Thrash, Metallica are lucky they got as far as they did piggy-backing off of Trivium's signature style.
you technically need permission, but unless you are a big name artist who moves a lot of units you probably aren't going to get sued.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm