No, how low of wattage do you want?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
there is the less common dsl201....but why would you want any of those:S? the dsl401 sounds like ass....
Quote by georgakis187
there is the less common dsl201....but why would you want any of those:S? the dsl401 sounds like ass....

no they don't. I think for their price range which is around 450-600 bucks on ebay, they are really good.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by georgakis187

This.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by georgakis187

Tone is subjective and they sound good as long as you don't play metal, apparently. I don't play high gain stuff.

Quote by Kevin Saale
No, how low of wattage do you want?

30 or less? preferably 15, but im not too fussed
Ok, let's start over. What's your budget? What tones are you after (I assume a marshall tone, correct me if I'm wrong)? Are you gigging, recording, what do you plan to do with the amp? Can you look used?
dude for 400-600$ you can go alot better....if its metal (which you dont care for) there are TONNES...but i dont play lighter stuff and i can still tell you that for that price you can get the less expensive mesas....f series anyone? THEY KILL THE DSLs....and fenders twins for even lighter stuff.....of course i m no expert so yeah...
What's your budget? £300-£350
What tones are you after (I assume a marshall tone, correct me if I'm wrong)? Yeah, Hit the lights, mayday parade, paramore they all use this amp, i think and loads of other bands of the same genre too
Are you gigging, recording, what do you plan to do with the amp? home playing/band practice and gigs in the future
Can you look used? yes
Quote by georgakis187
dude for 400-600$ you can go alot better....if its metal (which you dont care for) there are TONNES...but i dont play lighter stuff and i can still tell you that for that price you can get the less expensive mesas....f series anyone? THEY KILL THE DSLs....and fenders twins for even lighter stuff.....of course i m no expert so yeah...

Aren't mesas really expensive in the UK?
Yeah, you guys get ripped for mesas.

If you like the tone of the amp I say go for it, it won't be optimal for home practice, but that doesn't mean you couldn't use it for home practice. You could always pull a couple tubes, that'll bring it down to 50 watts, which won't make it much quieter, but you'll save on tubes and get rid of some of that excess headroom.
ok for uk you can get orange amps really cheap...tiny terror and other...like i said i m no expert but the dsl40 is known to be a really barky amp...too modern and agressive for blues and cleans and too muddy for metal. NO SMOOTHNESS.
Quote by georgakis187
ok for uk you can get orange amps really cheap...tiny terror and other...like i said i m no expert but the dsl40 is known to be a really barky amp...too modern and agressive for blues and cleans and too muddy for metal. NO SMOOTHNESS.

It's a modern sounding amp which i want, pop punk: hit the lights, paramore, mayday parade. I don't play metal or blues
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yeah, you guys get ripped for mesas.

If you like the tone of the amp I say go for it, it won't be optimal for home practice, but that doesn't mean you couldn't use it for home practice. You could always pull a couple tubes, that'll bring it down to 50 watts, which won't make it much quieter, but you'll save on tubes and get rid of some of that excess headroom.

It's only 40 watts as it is haha, but this tube pulling stuff, do you take two tubes out or something? I've heard of it but don't know much about it
Quote by doubtfull
It's only 40 watts as it is haha, but this tube pulling stuff, do you take two tubes out or something? I've heard of it but don't know much about it

Tubes come in matched pairs, so if you have 4 power tubes, picture them like this

X O O X

You can either pull the inner two or the outer two, but you have to pull a set of the identical pairs

X - - X

- O O -
Quote by imicius
Tubes come in matched pairs, so if you have 4 power tubes, picture them like this

X O O X

You can either pull the inner two or the outer two, but you have to pull a set of the identical pairs

X - - X

- O O -

ahh, okay. thanks
Quote by doubtfull
ahh, okay. thanks

Remember, half wattage =/= half volume. It will still be loud.
ummm no.....one tenth the wattage is half the volume.....half the wattage will lower the volume vvery little.
sounds like a jcm 900 would be better off for you maybe

i don't like the dsl401 because it basically requires a speaker change to get anything really good and than it just tacks on to the already completely overpriced price tag it has
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
I loved the 401 I played. Great for proper mans rock.

Wolfmother style stuff came out really nice.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by georgakis187
jcm900 is actually better for pop rock and stuff....the dsl40 will be way too agressive

Where in the world are you getting this? Are you just making this up? The entire JCM2000 line sounds much more suited for the classic Marshall voicing than the JCM900s ever were. The JCM900s were more of the hot rodded modern rock and metal voiced amps.
i own a jcm900 so....suck it. i ve played many marshall amps and i can tell you...the dsl40 is nothing like the rest of the jcm2000 amps....so yeah just shut it...plus the 900 series has the best clean any marshall has ever had (except maybe the jtm45)
No, but you could pull power tubes and attenuate it?
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
of course....PLUS my 100w jcm900 combo has a half power switch to 50w...the 50w versions half power switch goes to 25w (triode mode instead of pentode)
Quote by georgakis187
i own a jcm900 so....suck it. i ve played many marshall amps and i can tell you...the dsl40 is nothing like the rest of the jcm2000 amps....so yeah just shut it...plus the 900 series has the best clean any marshall has ever had (except maybe the jtm45)

And I have also played many Marshalls and the JCM2000, even the 401 gets much closer to the classic Marshall voicing than anything in the JCM900 range outside of the MkIII, which is more or less just a hot rodded JCM800.
dude the guys says he wants a modern voicing for pop....the dsl40 sounds like a rabbid dog being beat with a sledgehammer..LOUD and DIRTY...not for what he wants
Quote by georgakis187
dude the guys says he wants a modern voicing for pop....the dsl40 sounds like a rabbid dog being beat with a sledgehammer..LOUD and DIRTY...not for what he wants

Your point? I never said that a JCM900 doesn't fit his needs, I just disagree with your claim that a 401 is going to be too aggressive sounding.

And what Marshall ISN'T loud and dirty? They're ALL loud and dirty. The plexis, jmps, all the el34 based Marshall amps have that mid range bark, unless you're eq-ing it for death metal or somethign. It's a characteristic sound.
Last edited by al112987 at Feb 15, 2009,