hey
If i wanted to add a cabinet to my combo what would actually happen?
I know that extra speakers means that more air is being pushed-but what is it actually doing? Alot of people have said it has no effect on the volume and it just gives you more headroom-Is this true??
Please reply!!!
You have more presence, your tone sounds "fuller." Generally more bass response. Won't be louder dB wise, but it will seem louder as there is more air physically being moved.

It is OK to have more ohms in a speaker cab then the amp's total max, but NEVER OK TO HAVE FEWER:

8ohm head + 16ohm speakers = fine
8ohm + 8ohm speakers = ideal
8ohm head + 4ohm speakers = amp a'splode (more fire then explosions, but you get the idea)
Last edited by imicius at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by imicius
You have more presence, your tone sounds "fuller." Generally more bass response. Won't be louder dB wise, but it will seem louder as there is more air physically being moved.

It is OK to have more ohms in a speaker cab then the amp's total max, but NEVER OK TO HAVE FEWER:

8ohm head + 16ohm speakers = fine
8ohm + 8ohm speakers = ideal
8ohm head + 4ohm speakers = amp a'splode (more fire then explosions, but you get the idea)

I need to correct your "facts."

First, if you add another speaker, it does increase the sound pressure, or loudness. If you're playing something at a given SPL (Sound Pressure Level), or dB, and you add another speaker, the volume increases 3 dB. It's certainly not the same as doubling the volume, but it is an increase and it can't be ignored.

Second, your comment about it NEVER being OK to have less ohms is also wrong. Some amps, such as certain models produced by Mesa Boogie CAN tolerate using a speaker cabinet with less ohms than the output is rated for. As an example, it would be acceptable to connect a 4 ohm load to the 8 ohm output of certain Mesa amps. The only downside to this is you wear out the power tubes at a faster rate. Some amps, as you pointed out, do not tolerate doing this and can be damaged.
Quote by familybucket
hey
If i wanted to add a cabinet to my combo what would actually happen?
I know that extra speakers means that more air is being pushed-but what is it actually doing? Alot of people have said it has no effect on the volume and it just gives you more headroom-Is this true??
Please reply!!!

Adding more speakers does not increase the headroom. What is headroom? Headroom is the ability to play an audio source without exhausting the power being produced by the amplifier. In other words, let's say I play back a chord over an audio system and it requires 30 watts. During the chord, let's assume we peak at 50 watts, however our amp is capable of 150 watts. Our headroom was 100 watts. So, headroom gives us the ability to play something without clipping or distorting the amplifier. We cannot gain headroom by adding additional speakers. As I already mentioned earlier, adding more speakers does increase the volume. Think of it like having a flashlight - if you add more bulbs, the light becomes brighter. Hope this helps.
Adding speakers can increase headroom in a sense. Especially when it comes with using low wattage speakers that break up when being pushed, adding more speakers means less power driving each speaker which eliminates speaker breakup. Giving a cleaner response.