My new (used) American Deluxe Strat that I got for 650$. It has some imperfections, but it plays great!

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3466/34662333b87ae15227f78de81ce8b1657a4bc5b.jpg

Now here are pictures of the dings:

http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3466/3466278fb2a9923aa0c62cd810bc53ccfc834cc.jpg

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/3466/34662776da5ddd3fd83b27f94bd3b07adae05c2.jpg

I don't care too much about the first, since its just cosmetic, but the 2nd picture shows dings on the neck, around the 2/3 frets, and it feels a bit rough when my thumb is there. How much do you guys think it costs to fix?
Nice, congrats!

As for the ding, that will be pretty hard to fix, but is it really that much of a problem?
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Wow at guitar!!

No idea on price for the ding though..
Is that just a faded arctic/olympic white? Or vintage white?
Its not a huge problem, but it erks me when i run past the 2nd fret and I feel the little imperfection under my thumb. Maybe I'll get used to it (maybe I'll even like it? who knows). I'd like to get it fixed for <50$, but I'm prob. dreaming.

I think the color is Vintage, maybe Olympic. I know its not Arctic (thats MIM iirc). If it helps, its a 2006 Am. Dlx HSS stock body.
Ok quick question: I'm thinking about replacing the black pickguard with a red pearloid pickguard. How do you think this would look, and how would I go about doing it?

Sorry about double post.

BTW - Still looking for an estimate for how much that neck ding would cost to fix, if anyone knows, pm me or post. Thanks!
Quote by fnmpm
Ok quick question: I'm thinking about replacing the black pickguard with a red pearloid pickguard. How do you think this would look, and how would I go about doing it?

First of all, you'd need to find the right pick guard. Make sure you buy one that matches the guitar (pay special attention to the location of the screw holes).

There are plenty of big online stores that sell pre cut HSS Fender pickguards. In the event that you'd also want to swap the electronics, you could buy a preloaded pickguard.

Anyway, if you just buy a regular HSS guard, the first step it to take off the old one. Take a few good pictures and make a wiring diagram. You can also find diagrams on the internet, so you may want to download the diagram from the Fender site as well (it's under "support").

If you're done looking at the wiring, disconnect the old pickguard from the output and the ground (if it's grounded, that is), then do a quick check to make sure the new guard will fit.

By now you should have your old guard disconnected from the guitar. Remove the electronics, but don't take them apart completely. You don't need to resolder the entire guitar and the less soldering, the better.

Using the pictures and diagrams, put the pickups, the pots and the switch on the new guard. Get the pickups set up to roughly the right height and solder the wires to the output and the ground.

Before putting the screws back in, make sure to test it by flipping the switch and tapping the pickups.

After that it's just a matter of setting up the pickups at the right height and you should be all set.

Quote by fnmpm
BTW - Still looking for an estimate for how much that neck ding would cost to fix, if anyone knows, pm me or post. Thanks!

Well, prices vary from store to store, but I don't think it's, well, fixable...
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 15, 2009,
Wow, thank you for the explanation! I guess I'll need to learn how to solder properly then. How much would this run me in a shop if I asked them to do it for me?
What nut is that ? I can't see well but I don't know it ..

Very Nice Guitar I just love strats with maple necks
Its a roller nut, I think fender only uses it for the am dlx.

Maple neck, but I'm glad it has a rosewood fretboard, maple just just feel right under my fingers. Maybe its because I started off with an epiphone.