Page 1 of 2
i saw a in the studio video and he had put a rubber band around the springs in the back of his guitar to "clean it up when recording" what does he mean?
sometimes the pickups pickup vibrations from the trem springs, therefore amplifying it and cluttering the sound. the rubber band absorbs the vibrations.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Don't listen to a word he says. He's a total retard and anything he says about tone is a lie.

But to actually answer the damn question, it's to stop the springs from vibrating and creating excess noise.
Some people put wristbands/tie socks around their necks as well, quite a lot of people do it in studio.
Quote by CitizenErased78
Don't listen to a word he says. He's a total retard and anything he says about tone is a lie.

But to actually answer the damn question, it's to stop the springs from vibrating and creating excess noise.

Herman Li is a pretty good guitarist who popularized (with Sam Totem) shred guitar for a new generation. Besides that, he is a seemingly nice guy (in interviews) and deserves just a little respect.

Don't call him the greatest, but Jesus Christ, give him SOME recognition.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Quote by CitizenErased78

And to think he's had more success and has more money than you'll ever have... depressing, huh?
Quote by CitizenErased78

Why?

I'm not a Dragonforce fan, but I don't see why Herman isn't a good player.

Sure, he's played a few sloppy gigs, but he does seem to be very passionate about playing guitar and he can actually play.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Basically, if you're popular AND a good guitarist, you are a sellout to the general UG community.

But one or the other is perfectly fine.

See:

Paul Gilbert (good)

Daron Malakian (popular)

Yngwie Malmsteen (good, popular, therefore; UG pariah)
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Last edited by DEADwin at Feb 15, 2009,
Bullshit.
More correctly, we in general hate bands or artists who are undeservedly popular.
On the topic of Herman Ri, he's not as bad as people say, but nowhere NEAR as good as his fans would attest.
Quote by DEADwin
Basically, if you're popular AND a good guitarist, you are a sellout to the general UG community.

See:

Paul Gilbert (good)

Daron Malakian (popular)

Essentially so, though I personally find Yngwie's music untasteful myself. Still, you're much right there. Makes me kind of scared about what'll happen if my band ever gets signed and turns out well...

EDIT: Rockpig is also right though, for example the sites hate for the Jonas Brothers. I am still convinced they took advantage of Stevie Wonder's blindness to get him to play with them.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by DEADwin

See:

Paul Gilbert (good)

Daron Malakian (popular)

On this site Paul gilbert seems to be more popular than Daron.

Also, most people don't like Yngwie because of his ego, not because they think he's a sell out.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Also, most people don't like Yngwie because of his ego, not because they think he's a sell out.

I can totally understand that.
Quote by Bonsaischaap
Why?

I'm not a Dragonforce fan, but I don't see why Herman isn't a good player.

Sure, he's played a few sloppy gigs, but he does seem to be very passionate about playing guitar and he can actually play.

I wasn't insulting the fact that he can play. I would even proudly state that he can shred the pants off of anyone on this board. However, his tone is absolutely horrendous, which IS what I was insulting.
Last edited by CitizenErased78 at Feb 15, 2009,
I don't particularly like Yngwie cause his songs sound the same. Same thing with MAB. They may be the greatest guitarist in a technical sense that have ever lived, but they can not write original material to save their lives. IMHO.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

Main problem being that Yngwie doesn't really have an ego to the extent that most UGers seem to think he does.

Quote by CitizenErased78
I wasn't insulting the fact that he can play. I would even proudly state that he can shred the pants off of anyone on this board.

I certainly wouldn't go that far; there are some people with serious chops hanging around on this forum. Bonsai himself is in posession of some pretty hefty skills...

Quote by tonedeafidiot
I don't particularly like Yngwie cause his songs sound the same. Same thing with MAB. They may be the greatest guitarist in a technical sense that have ever lived, but they can not write original material to save their lives. IMHO.

Again, not something I'd agree with; a lot of Malmsteens songs (especially the faster ones) may sound quite similar but you cannot possibly say that "Like An Angel", "Black Star" and "Seventh Sign" all sound the same.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by CitizenErased78
I wasn't insulting the fact that he can play. I would even proudly state that he can shred the pants off of anyone on this board. However, his tone is absolutely horrendous, which IS what I was insulting.

Oh.

Well then, rant off.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
And to think he's had more success and has more money than you'll ever have... depressing, huh?

And to think that I don't give a flying f*ck about fame and money.... depressing, huh?
I'm still a teenager, and the only thing I care about is the music. If I felt like selling out to Guitar Hero and doing whatever a record company wants, then damn, me or anyone else could be as famous and rich as Herman Li. However, anyone who actually cares about the emotion in their music should know that fame and money shouldn't account for anything. So there, why don't you go take your snarky comments and shove it.

/rant
Last edited by CitizenErased78 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Main problem being that Yngwie doesn't really have an ego to the extent that most UGers seem to think he does.

he....
said satch and vai sucked and he would never play with them again after the g3 tour i thought....
Quote by Grey Dynasty
he....
said satch and vai sucked and he would never play with them again after the g3 tour i thought....

Proof that he ever said it? Can you even remember where you heard this?

I have never seen anything to make me think that Yngwie has the kind of ego that a lot of people think he does...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by DEADwin

Hearing arpeggio sweeps and one-string melodic minor runs for the billionth time kinda gets a bit dull, and it just gets painful from a man who thinks he's God, with an ego to match. :P

Good player, but repetitive and comes across as a complete 'tard as a person in interviews, vids, etc.

I do like his custom strat though...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Proof that he ever said it? Can you even remember where you heard this?

I have never seen anything to make me think that Yngwie has the kind of ego that a lot of people think he does...

now that you mention it, i can't, so it could be just an unfounded thing some random person said.

but to stay on topic, lots of people use various methods to muffle extra noise while recording
Quote by mikeyElite
sometimes the pickups pickup vibrations from the trem springs, therefore amplifying it and cluttering the sound. the rubber band absorbs the vibrations.

exactly
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Herman Li has become massively underrated by guitarists. It's a bit sad. He's actually an extremely talented performer. They dig themselves into holes not being able to pull the same magic on stage as on a record, but he is still a great guitarist.

Same thing with Malmsteen. He isn't actively trying to be an egotistical prick, it's just him. Once you look past that he is actually hilarious.

Yngwie 'Where the **** is a guitar pick' Malmsteen
who cares dragon force sucks ass...they got famous from a video game now all these nerds think they are amazing but no they suck.
Quote by vanhailin
who cares dragon force sucks ass...they got famous from a video game now all these nerds think they are amazing but no they suck.

Was that really necessary? I'm not a Dragonforce fan, but come on man.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
steve vai sticks tissue in his trem cavity. guthrie govan sticks sponge in his trem cavity.
i use tissue since it's cheaper and easily available.

to hear the noise produced by the springs, first depress the whammy bar at the tip, mute the strings with your fretting hand, then let the whammy bar slip and bounce back to it's place.
you'll be surprised how much noise the springs can produce.
"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat." -Mark Twain
Quote by vanhailin

Alright small minded child who expresses his opinion with no facts and poor grammar,whatever you say.

Now,I'm not a fan of Dragonforce,but I wont blatantly deny the fact that they have talent as musicians,to do so would be ****ing idiotic.Herman may have a weak tone (IMO) ,but he's a talented guitarist,and so is Sam.Their vocalist can sing pretty well,and their guy on keys is a beast.There are so many other bands whose fame people should be questioning,but since a majority of the pre-pubescent bedroom rockers on these forums found out about them through GH they instantly think they're bad because "Zomg guitar hero is teh suck!".Why not question all the ****ty pop acts that spawn weekly in the music world instead of attacking the guys who actually play instruments and have talent?

/end rant

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
Alright small minded child who expresses his opinion with no facts and poor grammar,whatever you say.

Now,I'm not a fan of Dragonforce,but I wont blatantly deny the fact that they have talent as musicians,to do so would be ****ing idiotic.Herman may have a weak tone (IMO) ,but he's a talented guitarist,and so is Sam.Their vocalist can sing pretty well,and their guy on keys is a beast.There are so many other bands whose fame people should be questioning,but since a majority of the pre-pubescent bedroom rockers on these forums found out about them through GH they instantly think they're bad because "Zomg guitar hero is teh suck!".Why not question all the ****ty pop acts that spawn weekly in the music world instead of attacking the guys who actually play instruments and have talent?

/end rant

Quote by vanhailin

You do realise they were famous before guitar hero, just nowhere near as much. And I'd love to see you play some of their songs. Just because they've had some bad gigs doenst mean they suck. I'm willing to bet they could outplay you anyday.
Quote by CitizenErased78
And to think that I don't give a flying f*ck about fame and money.... depressing, huh?
I'm still a teenager, and the only thing I care about is the music. If I felt like selling out to Guitar Hero and doing whatever a record company wants, then damn, me or anyone else could be as famous and rich as Herman Li. However, anyone who actually cares about the emotion in their music should know that fame and money shouldn't account for anything. So there, why don't you go take your snarky comments and shove it.

/rant

So if you wrote a song that was picked to be in a game, you wouldn't want it to? If someone thought something I wrote was good enough to be in Guitar Hero, I'd be honoured. Just because they have a song in GH does not mean they 'sold out'
Quote by CitizenErased78

/rant

Eh, the notion of selling out is all well and good as an ideology, but at the end of the day, it's his job. He has to pay the bills etc and if selling a record to a game is going to do that, I'd choose it over working in a call centre.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by CitizenErased78

/rant

Not a dragonforce fan, but i saw em live last year, the ticket was free, and turisas were on support, but i stuck around for the main act.

Herman himself wasn't sloppy at all, and he puts SO much energy and emotion into the live show.

Stfu, faggot.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by CitizenErased78

There are some people with some chops on this board who can play cleanly first attempt unlike Herman who requires several takes and needs Pro Tools to clean it up.
Quote by PCSpeaker
Not a dragonforce fan, but i saw em live last year, the ticket was free, and turisas were on support, but i stuck around for the main act.

Herman himself wasn't sloppy at all, and he puts SO much energy and emotion into the live show.

Stfu, faggot.

he has got alot better since about 2007-ish.

download '07 is the first live performance of them i saw when they were amazing.
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Looks like a guitar tech question has become an argument fest about Dragonforce......

Being a guy born in the 80's, the biggest issue that I have with Dragonforce in general (including good ole Herman Ri) is that compared to the guitar duo's back then (i.e. Gilbert and Bouillet or Friedman and Becker), these guys just look pretty weak - for a band that is touted as having the top skill around as a metal band, they don't stack up well. I mean just youtube Cacophony or RacerX live and you see while the Dragonforce boys look weak.

However, regardless of their technical flaws, there are a number of good things to come from Dragonforce:
* Guitar solo's and harmonized guitar sequences are becoming cool again.
* Kids are looking at what these guys can do (even if it takes them 20 takes) and asking themselves wow, I wanna rip like that with a friend.
So, whilst I think the Dragonforce boys technically will never eclipse my guitar hero's, I'm happy that they are introducing some of the concepts of guitar playing to another generation of kids.

But for the record, that vid of Herman Li illustrating the whammy bar techniques for Inhuman Rampage - EPIC FAIL!
Music is always going to be just opinions. You can say that you don't like some bands music, but you can't say, that the music sucks. It's always just opinions, people. Remember it when you start ranting about some bands. And you can't make strong opinions about people just by listening to their music.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
he has got alot better since about 2007-ish.

download '07 is the first live performance of them i saw when they were amazing.

Sam was a little sloppy, but herman was tight as ****, didnt hear a single mistake all night
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
I saw DF two times, and they were really tight both of the times. People who say they suck live mostly base that on youtube video's. DF is very good in what they do, which is making extremely fast, cheery and catchy songs. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. I don't like Britney Spears, but I'm not wining about it all day long...
I know this is off topic, but why do some people call hi Herman Li, and some call him Herman Ri?
Page 1 of 2