As a rainy day project, I'm looking at taking the neck and bridge pickups out of my old Squier Strat and swapping them.

I've got a vague knowledge of how this is done, And I've got a wiring schematic on hand, but I'm wondering if anyone can gide me a little better on this, in terms of what I need to do this, What I should be looking out for and such.

Oh, And I've never used a soldering iron in my life. I'm sure I can figure it out though.

Any and all help appreciated.
you're swapping their positions or taking them out and putting in new pickups ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
This doesn't help you but...

I'm doing that today too! I just bought a soldering iron and I'm going to replace my middle pick-up
I am wondering which wires I should solder the original pick-up is connected with the white and red wires but the diagrams that came with the new pic-up say to tape off the red and white and use the black and green. AND the other pick-up I had installed has the red and white taped off and the other wires used.
the original sounds like it's 2 conductor and the new one is a seymour duncan (by the colors you gave) ? if so just follow the seymour diagram, red and white are for coil splitting on duncans.
Yeah its a lil cheap performer thing. So I solder the green and black to the volume knob and the red one to the switch cuz the white one on the original pickup was soldered to the volume knob too
wait so if the old pick up has only to wires it's coil splitting?

so then that diagram says send the black wire to the selector, the green and bare to the volume and the red and white to something. let me find the diagram online...
Quote by dinley
wait so if the old pick up has only to wires it's coil splitting?

no, it's just a 2 conductor pickup. they can't be coil split.
I've been typing terribly to describe everything.

My new pick-up has five wires:
Red
White
Green
Bare
Black

where should they all go?
what pickup is it exactly ? you're replacing an old one with it, right ? what does the rest of the setup look like hss/sss/hh/etc ? how many volumes,tones ? 3 way or 5 way switch ?
Last edited by mikeyElite at Feb 15, 2009,
it's a yamaha eg112
one volume, one tone
5 way selector (<I think)
it has a single coil at the neck/single coil at the middle/and a humbucker at the bridge which I had a guy put a seymour duncan detonator in.
i like how pac man effect created the thread and then dinley completely thread jacked by accident
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Oh, and this is the internet. I have the right to be a douchebag. Fuck off.
Oh and I forgot to describe the new pick-up:
It's a seymour duncan performer scorcher for the middle pick-up spot
red and white soldered and taped together.

green and bare to back of pot ground.

black , hot switch.

TS tips... let the iron get hot.
tin the iron. tin the wires you're about to solder.

dont touch the metal stand until it cools.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by jj1565
red and white soldered and taped together.

green and bare to back of pot ground.

black , hot switch.

TS tips... let the iron get hot.
tin the iron. tin the wires you're about to solder.

dont touch the metal stand until it cools.

I'm very new to soldering so...

1. I solder the red and white wires together and tape them off so they touch nothing?
2. where is the back of the pot ground?
2. where is the hot switch?

sorry bout my ignorance..
*Looks about incredulously*

MY Topic?!? JACKED UP?!?

Nah, S'All good.

And I've figured out most of it. I've got everything pulled apart now, and I'm just gonna un-solder the two pups, swap them, and solder them back in.

What kind of metal should I be using for solder?

Oh, And while I was inside the guitar, I was cleaning it out and found a clump of sawdust left behind during the building process that had been spraypainted into place. Quality Control FTW.
ts, you want 60/40 rosin.

other guy, back of the volume pot there's a pool of wires that are the ground.
that's where the green and bare go.

on the switch is the hot. find the correct lug where the other one came off of. that's the hot.
example of 4 wire, seymour duncan

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Oh Alright that's what figured about the hot thingie.

but what about the red and white wires? You said I should solder them and tape them off. What does that mean exactly?