So a little over a month ago, some friends of mine (we'll call them Bob and Joe) asked me to be their second guitarist/bassist/keyboardist. So of course, I said ok. When I asked them how the money would work, they said they basically had a "band fund" that all the money went into. So first, Bob would pick out his drum kit (since right now he's borrowing until March) and ALL the money the band made would go to it. Then Joe would find something he wanted, like a new amp or something. Then ALL the money the band made after that would go to his amp. After that, it'd be my turn to pick out something and all the money would go to that. However, they said if a band member really really needed their share of the money that they'd be able to get it.

So now, after my first gig with them, I asked them for my share of the money since I really need to pay off a new guitar I just got. Bob was really apprehensive about giving me the money, since he said he "really needed to get his drum kit." He said that this show was supposed to almost put him to enough money ($600 + cymbals/hardware). I wouldn't have had such a problem, but he just bought himself a $1,000+ gaming laptop!

I can't help but feel somewhat stupid: I knew they had this elaborate "band fund" from the beginning. But they did say that if I needed the money (which I do; I'm in high school without a job and need this for income to pay for my new guitar) I could get it.

I personally think every gig and all band income should just be split evenly. That way, there's no debate over someone getting ripped off.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you guys think I should do? I'm worried that it might come down to me having to leave the band. There's too many scenarios where I could get ripped off. What do you guys think? Thanks a ton.
jedinix

Shredding with an RGT42DX
Go to the bandleading forum. Axemanchris and Slacker talk about this all the time.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Honestly, that's crap, imo. Split the money between all of you based on your contribution to the band, and use your personal money for instruments.
yes it should be split evenly
go to the bandleading forum you will get more help from them then these pit monkeys
Hey sorry I didn't see the Bandleading forum! I just think we all contribute the same amount, we all write the songs we play that are originals. No one person is more valuable than the other.
jedinix

My band has a band fund. It's kosher, and I know it is, since we're saving for a PA system.

How else do I know it's working fine?

I'm the one holding all the money...:p
It should have been split evenly but you weren't to smart at the beginning when you agreed to this band fund thing, so I'm siding with your friends.

Maybe if you needed the money to pay off bills or something, but you bought a guitar and your drummer wants to pay for drums, they're both instruments so pretty much the same priority. It's your own fault for agreeing to this stupid band fund thing.
I don't see how your new guitar was anymore important than the drummer getting a drum set. I'm assuming you already had a guitar since you played a gig before you asked for the money right? An since the drummer doesnt actually have a set of drums than why would you think it would be ok for you to get another guitar instead of him getting his drum set. They explained everything to you in the beginning in my opinion you were out of line to even ask for the money. I know if I said this is how the band fund works and if you really need some money we can give it to you. That would mean if your equipment broke or was stolen or you really needed to pay your bills and had no other way you could get some money, not for you just deciding to buy another guitar.....
My band was going to put half from each gig into a joint band account (to cover a new DECENT Bass for myself followed by a Sure SM58 followed by a new PA) But we've had alot of intrest in our originals (we have a producer coming up from Brizzy next week to listen to us) So Pub gigs are out ATM so we can consentrate on our originals
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
Uh that is a stupid idea. What if the drummer leaves the band after he gets his drums?

There is nothing better to break up a band then that idea.
Any spelling or grammatical errors written above are because of my inferior brain to yours. Good job, you won life.
The band fund is a stupid idea. I myself would have a band fund but each member has a limit they can use.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
They're ripping you off dude. Tell em' to pay up or look elsewhere.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Sounds like something that is happeneing with my friend, they are about to do a gig next week and he brings up how they are splitting the money and the lead singers proposes an idea that they all pool the money form the gig and get a new PA system, and my friend thought it would be a good idea but they doun't need a new one, and he would actually like to get paid for playing not give up the money to the singer for what he wants, its especially bad beacuse my friend doens't see this band going anywhere so he would kinda like to get something out of it. So he proposes a new idea that they can split the cash into 5 equal parts so one to each of the band memebers and then they have a PA cash pile as the fifth part and the singer is still contemplating the proposal.
Quote by andy_thomas
Were you by any chance, exposing your scrotum to an open flame?
Quote by Osiris77
I don't see how your new guitar was anymore important than the drummer getting a drum set. I'm assuming you already had a guitar since you played a gig before you asked for the money right? An since the drummer doesnt actually have a set of drums than why would you think it would be ok for you to get another guitar instead of him getting his drum set. They explained everything to you in the beginning in my opinion you were out of line to even ask for the money. I know if I said this is how the band fund works and if you really need some money we can give it to you. That would mean if your equipment broke or was stolen or you really needed to pay your bills and had no other way you could get some money, not for you just deciding to buy another guitar.....

I already have the guitar, I've just gotta finish paying it off. I use my money for it though, and he's using band money. He's trying to use all the money we all earned to get his drums when he just got a $1,000 gaming laptop?
jedinix

Last edited by jedinix at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by jedinix
I already have the guitar, I've just gotta finish paying it off. I use my money for it though, and he's using band money. He's trying to use all the money we all earned to get his drums when he just got a $1,000 gaming laptop?

So? You agreed he gets the first buy using the band fund. If you couldn't afford to pay off your credit then that's your own fault.
Band money should be used for whole band expenses only- instruments you buy yourself.

My band only ever uses band money for- transport, deposits for venue hire, PA hire deposits, recording, equipment hire like cameras and the like, and a bottle of bubbly after a gig.
the idea with band funds is to buy everything at once. For example, if your drummer wants a new kit, you want a new guitar etc. then you save up enough money as a band to be able to buy the kit and guitar at the same time. This way nobody is left without getting what they need.

But for your drummer to buy himself a laptop for gaming, that's just disrespectful to the rest of the band. You should consider talking to him about it and tell him he now needs to pay for the kit out of his own money. If he doesn't comply then I would consider showing him the door.
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet