Why do most metal musicians not like power amp overdrive?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
BECAUSE WE PLAY IT LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i dont really know........
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I don't think they like it, but more of that they don't really need it.

They drive the pre-amp very hard so they wouldn't need the power amp distorting either.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
So, how come a low watt amp like mine is frowned upon for metal, yet, when cranked, with my XXL pedal, can easily do metal?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Quote by lespaul#1
So, how come a low watt amp like mine is frowned upon for metal, yet, when cranked, with my XXL pedal, can easily do metal?

It's not been designed as a high gain amp.

The amps metal players uses have tonnes of gain.

E-Married to Funny_Page
But, so does mine, when boosted, I'd post a video, if my camera didn't suck/
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
But, so does mine, when boosted, I'd post a video, if my camera didn't suck/

Exactly!

When boosted!
An amp like yours needs a boost to drive the pre-amp harder and therefore more gain being available, but the amps they use already have enough gain in the pre amp meaning any power amp distortion is un-needed.

E-Married to Funny_Page
Oh, but it CAN be used?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
Oh, but it CAN be used?

Course!

They just don't rely on for the distortion, just for the volume of the damn amp!

E-Married to Funny_Page
I understand now, it's loud enough, but without pedals, doesn't have the required gain?
Quote by chip46
Ok, let me break it down, since no one else has.

Metal players do not like power tube overdrive because it causes the attack/response of the amp to loosen, meaning there is a certain amount of sag when the power tubes are overdriven. This is detrimental to the percussive style that a lot of metal uses, such as triplets and fast single note runs. It also tends to loosen up the bottom end, which, again, increase 'flub', or looseness in the tone, making it harder to sound clean and technically competent when playing fast.

Therefore, most high-gain amps have very high headroom. Like the 5150, which is 120 watts from 4 6L6's, or the JCM800KK (Who know's how much power that thing puts out with 4xKT88).

All of the saturation and distortion is from the preamp in High Gain heads.
power amp saturation can get a little too saggy
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
power amp saturation can get a little too saggy

See above
I have no way if getting a new amp for a while.
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
I have no way if getting a new amp for a while.

Get an old, cheap VH-140c Combo.

Or a Randall RG100 combo.
It's not money, I'm not allowed.
Quote by chip46