Would a 2X12 combo amp and an amp head on a 2X12 cabinet sound the same. Would they be the same loudness? Cause i want a amp head but i dont want it to be too loud for bedroom so i was thinking getting a 2X12 cab. I dont want to buy a bunch of combos so i thought it would be easier to get one 2X12 and a attenuator so can play at bedroom levels and not go deaf and if i need earplugs then yeah.
Technically, there is a volume "increase" from a smaller cab to a larger cab, but most of this is due to the fact that the sound is being spread out more because there's more speakers, no so much that the speakers actually add more volumes by having more. If that makes any sense lol
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Would a Carvin Legacy head and an Avatar 2X12 Cab plus attenuator be good for playing in my room?
Quote by IbanezMan65
Would a Carvin Legacy head and an Avatar 2X12 Cab plus attenuator be good for playing in my room?

Define bedroom levels.

An attenuator does not make something good for bedroom use, this a huge misconception.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd always go with a head and 2x12 over a 2x12 combo, even though it's usually more expensive. It's just generally less of hassle to carry about and looks cooler.

From what I've read, there is a sound difference. Something to do with the speaker magnet doing something to the valves in a combo amp.
Last edited by Horlicks at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by IbanezMan65

Well my 6505 (120 watt tube amp) is fine at bedroom levels and people say this amp is REALLY loud. once you get up to 3 its really loud but in the bedroom its fine if you go just under 1.
What I'm saying is.... if you use the volume knob you will be fine without an attenuator.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Depends. A head with lower wattage will sound different than a head with higher wattage. I disagree about the last comment. I have 6505's...they don't sound that great under 1. Theres other amps that sound much better. Sounds great at 3 and above though. Not a lot of power tube saturation going on under 1.
Mine sounds fine under 1.... and plus I don't want power tube distortion because I want a tight metal tone. It definitely does sound a little bit better at 2 - 3 though.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
Quote by Vandals572
Mine sounds fine under 1.... and plus I don't want power tube distortion because I want a tight metal tone. It definitely does sound a little bit better at 2 - 3 though.

You don't want power tube saturation? Why even have a tube amp then? It's much tighter with power tube saturation. It's fizzy under 1.
Well I mean I don't want insane amounts of it, then my tone would be a little bit looser. 2 or 3 gives it just enough IMO to be in the sweet spot, but I still don't think it sounds bad under 1

and you can EQ the fizz out at lower volumes...
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Quote by hcsn2008
You don't want power tube saturation? Why even have a tube amp then? It's much tighter with power tube saturation. It's fizzy under 1.

Power tube saturation isn't tight.
Quote by Horlicks
Power tube saturation isn't tight.

Yes it is... Vs turning a solid state amp up. Turn your pregain down some when you turn up.
I disagree about power tube distortion being tight, power tube distortion isn't the same as pre amp distortion.

anyway TS, I think you would be fine with the Carvin volume wise.
Quote by alkalineweeman

mah hardcore band
Last edited by Vandals572 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Vandals572
I disagree about power tube distortion being tight, power tube distortion isn't the same as pre amp distortion.

I'm pretty sure he knows that.

I think the 5150 doesn't sound good until past 1.5... that's just me though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Ok when i finally can afford a new amp i will know what i want.

thanks

PS on the 2X12 Legacy extension cabinet is it only for use with the Legacy combo or can i use it with a head? Also what other cab makers are there that are like avatar? I found one the other day but cant remember.
Quote by IbanezMan65
PS on the 2X12 Legacy extension cabinet is it only for use with the Legacy combo or can i use it with a head? Also what other cab makers are there that are like avatar? I found one the other day but cant remember.

Any cab should work with any amp.

Lopoline
Vader

Those are the 3 big lower-priced cab companies.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com