hey guys. when it comes to pickups, what does DC resistance tell you? i know it has something to do with output/gain because high gain pups have a high dc resistance. is it a good way to tell how much output a pickup will have?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
DC resistance simply measures the Ohm value of the pickup's coil(s). It is directly proportional to its output, BUT you can only compare two pickups using the DC resistance if they have the same wire sizes.
A LOT of things influence output/tone. Polepieces, magnet, wire gauge, amount of turns of course, internal components (mostly the baseplate) etc...
If two pickups have the same winding gauges, then comparing DC resistance will give you a certain measure of how 'louder' or not it is compared to the other. The issue remains the other components.
The Duncan JB, Distortion and Invader for instance all share the same exact coils. All that differs is the magnets and polepieces. So you'd get the same DC readings, but the Invader would distort your amp more.
It gives you a rough measure, but the person about me is correct. There are too many factors to take into account.

But given all other factors are the same, then the more windings you put on a pickup, the higher the DC resistance, the higher the output, and the more you roll off the treble.
so i shouldnt judge a pickup's output solely on dc resistance thanks.
another one.. how much difference is output is say... 30 mV? i dont even know waht mV is. millivolts? it's on the dimarzio website as output, so there's my question
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yes, millivolts. The issue with this measurement is:

Different picks = different MVs
Different strings = different MVs
Different player = different MVs
Different touch = different MVs

Do I need to go on?

If you go on the DM website and read the MV output it is basically totally useless unless you're detailed exactly how it was measured and you can be sure it's 100% unbiased. Which I really doubt I can even be...

DC output is fixed measure. It's the coil's internal resistance. MVs are measured as the strings move above the pickup. So you can see just how many different readings you could take using just one guitar...
alright thanks pott. great info.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
You can use a DC resistance as a kind of a rough estimate, I mean, if you see something like a humbucker wound to 7.5k, you know it's going to be fairly low output.

My pickups are wound to 10.5k/13.5k which would generally indicate that they're pretty hot, but really they're not that much hotter than a set of overwound PAFs despite what their DCR is telling you.