Page 1 of 2
Please use the search button. This topic has been beaten to death on every single musicians forum ever made. So, with that said, I'm afraid I must tell you to GTFO n00b.
well tbh i like them...but dont at the same time..

i feel stuck in metal when i play them, but on stange when playing metal they roar.. esp thru a high gain tube amp

so i like them for the ooomph they give, but dislike as they kinda keep you boxed in..
=BROLY - HIS POWER IS MAXIMUM=
They don't.

I think they're great for some things, poor at others.
Awesome for high-gain DJENT, but falls down at cleans and lots of people complain they're not dynamic enough, so become tonally sterile.

Personally, if I had only one guitar, I'd want it to have DiMarzio or Duncan passives since they're more versatile, but through a tube, my 7 string with EMG 707s sounds huge, angry, and just pretty ****ing powerful in general.

It's all down to personal choice, in the end.
The full stop says so.

Ho'kay. They sound ****ing awesome. Not just for metal. Seriously, high output pickups ARE NOT just for metal. I really like the "muddy" (i just think its mellow) cleans, and put through a classic rock amp such as a Vox AC30 or similar, they do scream AC/DC e.t.c.

I actually think they own. And mine sound great for blues tbh :S
i love my emg, i can pull just about any kind of sound out of them, even with just the 9v mod, i dont know where people are getting this they sound boxed in thing from, just learn to work an eq and have somethin other than a death metal distortion pedal.
EMGs ( and all active pickups) are incredible if you've got precisely the right gear for them and you know how to use them properly.

If any single part of your rig is at all sub-par though or if you don't know what they're supposed to be used for, then they're awful.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
simply cause there actives and highly recomended by users....but i prefer Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Because apperently, when they're used by virtually a whole community of musicians, they are good. But you have to have good gear in order to make them win.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
They're cleans are so sterile it hurts.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
I hate EMG's too OP
there sterile and have no color, and i bet you guys didn't know that the battery colors your tone more than the actual pickup
if anyone gets this they win.

the only active pickup ill even touch is the Seymour Duncan blackouts. they seem more open and have more usable tone.
I played a bunch of guitars with EMG's yesterday. Of course, they are more sterile than good passives, but they aren't as bad as many people make them out to be. Many guitarists wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by Swap-Meet
Too many tone deaf metal heads?

ignorant response....but i do prefer blackouts over emgs
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
i like humbuckers! lol.
i think EMG's are ok if ur just into metal music.
Quote by voleurz
stick it in the butt and pee
Quote by CitizenErased78
Please use the search button. This topic has been beaten to death on every single musicians forum ever made. So, with that said, I'm afraid I must tell you to GTFO n00b.

Says the october 08 member, you are aware he's december 07, right?
Ts, personally I prefer dimarzios to emg's any day
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by VanTheKraut
Says the october 08 member, you are aware he's december 07, right?
Ts, personally I prefer dimarzios to emg's any day

And you act like join date means anything. That's the same argument as age meaning anything. It shouldn't matter what a person's join date is if the information and opinions they have aren't total BS. I speak the truth when I say: EMGs have been discussed so many times that they should no longer even be a valid topic for discussion. So my statement still remains: "Use the search function. It's there for a reason."
They're great for playing metal, but rubbish for everything else. If you know what you're doing with them, they'll be excellent. They sound great through high-gain tube amps and they do okay cleans if you're using a JC-120. If you disagree with either of these, just look at the whole Metallica catalogue.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
EMGs are sterile, tone-less, and bland. They have lots of clarity, a wide frequency response, and they really hit the front end of your amp if you're into high gain tones, but otherwise they are useless. Sorry, the clean tones suck, they're bland and sterile sounding.

If you're into metal, EMGs sound ok I guess.
Well,I like EMG's,but it depends on what kind.I'm not a fan of the 81/85 combo,but if you give me an 81TW/SA/S set with an 18 volt mod then I'm in heaven.People claim they're only good for metal but their single coils are very nice and can get great clean and blues tones.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

A thread nearly full of ignorance. I can get a great blues tone out of my EMG's. Ive played AC/DC with them, and for cleans, don't use a 81, use a 85 in the neck.

Learn to EQ well and you can get alot of sounds out of them.
Quote by Arnthor
A thread nearly full of ignorance. I can get a great blues tone out of my EMG's. Ive played AC/DC with them, and for cleans, don't use a 81, use a 85 in the neck.

Learn to EQ well and you can get alot of sounds out of them.

Good for you. You can play AC/DC with a Squier strat into a Fender frontman if you want.

EMG active humbuckers are still sterile and toneless. And no, the 18V mod does not make them any less sterile or toneless.
Because some people like their tone. They are some of the highest-output pickups you can get, and as such also some of the best high-output pickups you can find at the same time. Personally I prefer low-mid output pickups and dislike the tone the routing steals, and on top of that find them annoyingly bright with my amp, so I really don't much like them, but to each his own. Please refrain from using it without some glowing glass bottles in your amp though.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by al112987
Good for you. You can play AC/DC with a Squier strat into a Fender frontman if you want.

EMG active humbuckers are still sterile and toneless. And no, the 18V mod does not make them any less sterile or toneless.

I'll have to disagree.The 18 volt does open them up more and give them a bit more life,but only someone who's used to playing with actives would notice.I used to play on actives but have since switched to passives,and even after playing on actives for a year, I doubt I could notice a guitar with a mod in it right off the bat now.It's all in the ear of the musician,no need to denounce others because they know how to EQ a sound they like with active pups.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by necrosis1193
Because some people like their tone. They are some of the highest-output pickups you can get, and as such also some of the best high-output pickups you can find at the same time. Personally I prefer low-mid output pickups and dislike the tone the routing steals, and on top of that find them annoyingly bright with my amp, so I really don't much like them, but to each his own. Please refrain from using it without some glowing glass bottles in your amp though.

I don't get why people say this. Are you also saying that you should not use any high output pickups with solid state amps? or that you shouldn't use distortion pedals with solid state amps as well?
Time to pull this out...

Mo Jiggity's Copypasta about Active Pickups

"lolol active pickups drive teh tube harder" "active pickups are HOT for teh br00talz" "your amp will explode with the metalz if you mix active and passive"

All of these are HALF-TRUTHS at best coming from people who are obviously musicians and brainwashed consumers first and informed researchers second. I'm sorry for going off on a rail but I am SO sick and tired of hearing people treat active pickups like some sort of mystic beast that sounds horrible for anything except metal through a high-gain amplifier.

Here's the real skinny on how active pickups work. A pickup works by creating a magnetic field above it. When this magnetic field is disturbed by a ferrous material, like a metal string, an electrical signal is created, which is sent to the amplifier and turned into sound at the speaker. The difference between active and passive pickups is the mechanism by which the input signal is achieved. A passive pickup is passive in that it is merely a part of the circuit of the guitar amplifier and has only passive components powered by the amplifier - there are no batteries or power sources in your guitar. Because of this, the pickup must be wound quite a few times with wire to create a signal "hot" enough to be suitable for input to the preamp.

Because there are so many turns of wire, the pickup is high resistance, or impedance. Additionally, there will be significant tonal "coloring" of the pickup in the form of a midrange hump, or what we perceive as "warmth."

An active pickup, on the other hand, is active because it has a battery and a preamp that makes the signal low-impedance by way of buffering circuitry. In the case of EMGs, active pickups are actually wound far less than their passive counterparts, so the magnetic field and therefore normal output is weaker. However, because of the preamp, this weak signal can be boosted to whatever output desired, within electrical limits of headroom and such. Active pickups also do not exhibit as drastic of a midrange hump as passive pickups do - they are more consistent in response across the spectrum. Additionally, the low-impedance nature of the signal means that the guitar is "impedance matched" to floor effects and the input of the amplifier, which results in less loss of tone and high end. Sustain is also technically increased due to lower magnetic pull, although this might or might not be noticeable.

What this all means is that active pickups can be as high or low output as one wants, as dictated by a potentiometer and design, as well as that they do not generally experience as much tonal coloring as passive pickups, which is why they sound "sterile" to some. This also means that chords sound more defined due to the lack of naturally-present lower midrange.

EMGs are NOT always hot - look at the 85 or SA. EMGs are NOT solely designed for overdriving tube amps - jazz guys play active pickups through solid-state setups all the time. They are NOT solely designed for metal. They do NOT always sound sterile. You CAN play them clean and make them sound good (that's why Bartolini makes active jazz pickups). And you CAN mix actives and passives, although as mentioned it is not economically or practically feasible. It won't, however, make your amp die. Any increase in volume from the guitar is negligible because volume and electrical output are logarithmically related - 100 watts is not twice as loud as 50 watts. Switching between active and passive pickups won't hurt your amp.

/end rant.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by al112987
I don't get why people say this. Are you also saying that you should not use any high output pickups with solid state amps? or that you shouldn't use distortion pedals with solid state amps as well?

Nope. I'm saying that, according to a friend of mine who claims to be knowledgeable on this stuff(Nothing to prove this but his word, but also nothing to prove him wrong, and he hasn't failed me before, so what the hell), high-output pickups = designed to boost tube output into further levels of breakup. SS amps = no breakup unless a knob labeled gain is turned.

EDIT: Of course I post that right after someone posts a rant disproving it...nevermind.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Pedals you can use, but high output pickups? No.

It depresses me how many people on here have no clue what high output is for. It is for - and only for - driving an already fully cranked valve amp. If you're using a solid state amp or if you're not cranking your amp, then there is literally no point in having higher output. It literally does nothing. It'd be like getting a bass boost pedal but then turning the bass control on your amp down, or buying a turbo for your car then tuning the engine to provide less BHP.

High output passive pickups or active pickups, when you're not fully cranking a tube amp = just increasing your minimum volume. That is all they'll do, and I do mean literally just that.

As far as the big ol' quoted wall of text up there goes, simply no. Yes sure, there's nothing physically stopping you from using active pickups with a solid state amp and playing jazz music with 'em. But that doesn't mean they'll be any good for it or that you'll be seeing any benefit from them. And if you're not getting any benefit from them, why bother having them? Exactly.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Feb 15, 2009,
For me active pickups sound good for crunchy metal, but anything with feeling i don't like to use active pickups too much. I've used EMG 81/85, which sounds not bad, and livewires which I like better, but still I will prefer passive pickups in all situations.
That rant is sort of true, but mostly false. It claims to point out flaws in the myth, but in reality those are the exceptions to the rule. The most common active pickups, the 81/85 EMGs, ARE high output, they ARE meant to push a tube amp, and they DO sound crappy on most SS amps.

I'm aware that there are other types of active pickups, but that rant is mostly pointless. It assumes that people are too stupid to know that the 81/85 set isn't the only available active set, which is silly. The EMG set is the standard active pickup, so unless someone asks otherwise it's assumed that they're the kind implied. And all of those qualities are indeed characteristic of that set.

Ugh.
Quote by MrFlibble
Pedals you can use, but high output pickups? No.

It depresses me how many people on here have no clue what high output is for. It is for - and only for - driving an already fully cranked valve amp. If you're using a solid state amp or if you're not cranking your amp, then there is literally no point in having higher output. It literally does nothing. It'd be like getting a bass boost pedal but then turning the bass control on your amp down, or buying a turbo for your car then tuning the engine to provide less BHP.

High output passive pickups or active pickups, when you're not fully cranking a tube amp = just increasing your minimum volume. That is all they'll do, and I do mean literally just that.

As far as the big ol' quoted wall of text up there goes, simply no. Yes sure, there's nothing physically stopping you from using active pickups with a solid state amp and playing jazz music with 'em. But that doesn't mean they'll be any good for it or that you'll be seeing any benefit from them. And if you're not getting any benefit from them, why bother having them? Exactly.

You entirely missed the point. EMGs are not designed solely for higher output, they are designed for more even frequency response and lower impedance. This in turn improves performance over long cable lengths and results in less loss of high-end, and a more 'tweakable' sound. Jazz players use active pickups EMG or not on a highly regular basis because the lack of midrange hump allows for greater clarity and the ability to play more atonal chords without mucking up the sound.

I might not have enough money to afford a Les Paul but I definitely have enough sense to thoroughly research and understand things before I pass judgment on them.

@Roc8995: If I assume that the reader doesn't know about actives outside EMGs then I would think it apparent that the target audience encompasses those who indeed do not know anything about them... if you do then good for you but I HIGHLY doubt that the average forum frequenter knows about anything other than the classic Zakk Wylde setup. In fact, I challenge you to find any statement I made in there that is objectively false outside of the realm of what is commonly accepted on a guitar forum, because there really isn't anything that unbelievable in there.

I might also add with regards to the "crappy SS tones" sentiment that when playing clean tubes vs. solid state are a bit less of a gap simply because you are primarily concerned with equalization and dynamics rather than how the signal distorts and compresses. To this end if active pickups sound bad through a solid state amp, that is simply because the solid state amp's tone stack wasn't designed to interact with active pickups. Ever try running EMGs through a PA with a 32-band rackmount EQ in between? It proves my point rather well.

>_> It's these kinds of attitudes that prevent EMGs from being adopted by anybody other than metalheads.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Feb 15, 2009,
I find it sad we're debating the technical stuff for a musical instrument. I'm all for knowing that stuff. Hell, I'm trying to learn that stuff. But when it comes to pickups, screw the technical stuff, use what you like the sound of the best, not what the techies say should work most optimally.

Can we just leave it at "some people like the tone, some don't"?

Quote by necrosis1193
I find it sad we're debating the technical stuff for a musical instrument. I'm all for knowing that stuff. Hell, I'm trying to learn that stuff. But when it comes to pickups, screw the technical stuff, use what you like the sound of the best, not what the techies say should work most optimally.

Can we just leave it at "some people like the tone, some don't"?

I completely agree with you, but the reason I have such a beef with people who say things like what I addressed above is because they could achieve a sound similar to what one could with passives, except in some cases more "transparent, sparkly..." whatever arbitrary tonal adjective have you. To make a blanket statement that totally discounts a single class of pickups is foolish. I never said that everybody should use EMGs all the time and that they're the best, I simply said that they are absolutely usable in many situations outside of metal and overdriven tube amps. I myself do have another guitar with passive pickups and I admit I do like it for certain applications, but for many other ones I use my EMGs and I don't even play metal.

So yeah xD If I seem like an angry little gnome I apologize... it's not that I think EMGs to be the best pickups on the planet, but more that I think them to not be the worst for cleans and non-heavy music.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Page 1 of 2