So a little over a month ago, some friends of mine (we'll call them Bob and Joe) asked me to be their second guitarist/bassist/keyboardist. So of course, I said ok. When I asked them how the money would work, they said they basically had a "band fund" that all the money went into. So first, Bob would pick out his drum kit (since right now he's borrowing until March) and ALL the money the band made would go to it. Then Joe would find something he wanted, like a new amp or something. Then ALL the money the band made after that would go to his amp. After that, it'd be my turn to pick out something and all the money would go to that. However, they said if a band member really really needed their share of the money that they'd be able to get it.

So now, after my first gig with them, I asked them for my share of the money since I really need to pay off a new guitar I just got. Bob was really apprehensive about giving me the money, since he said he "really needed to get his drum kit." He said that this show was supposed to almost put him to enough money ($600 + cymbals/hardware). I wouldn't have had such a problem, but he just bought himself a $1,000+ gaming laptop!

I can't help but feel somewhat stupid: I knew they had this elaborate "band fund" from the beginning. But they did say that if I needed the money (which I do; I'm in high school without a job and need this for income to pay for my new guitar) I could get it.

I personally think every gig and all band income should just be split evenly. That way, there's no debate over someone getting ripped off.

Sorry for the long post, but what do you guys think I should do? I'm worried that it might come down to me having to leave the band. There's too many scenarios where I could get ripped off. What do you guys think? Thanks a ton.
jedinix

Shredding with an RGT42DX
i would leave, because this may carry over into different things and the principle behind it put his character on the spot and shows him questionable at best
If you say Randy Rhoads isn't amazing, I will hunt you down (Same for Marty Friedman)Founder of Rhoads/Friedman pm if you want in..
"guitarists have a thing, where their guitar is like an extension of their penis.." well said, ozzy
The other guys know about the laptop? Because if they do and they aren't giving you a fair share, that's a load of crap. I would have to agree with Ktulu.

If they don't know about the laptop, bring it to attention and talk with them about it.
Didnt you post this like 2 hours ago?
anyways....
yea, either get them to give you the money straight up, or quit, unless you enjoy it enough to not get paid
(\/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny.
(")_(") ExtremeMetalFTW donated these ears
Notice something wrong? Yea, me too
| |
[ ]
Siege of Power, yeah I did post it a bit ago but they told me to post it here saying I'd get better responses.

Thanks for your speedy responses guys, sounds like I'm not totally crazy thinking this is unfair

EDIT: Also, the gaming laptop wasn't bought with band money. It's just he refused to buy drums with his money and would rather get it with "band money." It's dumb though: I worked and saved up my money for about six months and bought myself my new guitar. I think he should have to do the same.
jedinix

Last edited by jedinix at Feb 15, 2009,
First thing is what kind of gigs? Originals band touring or covers or weddings/corporate work? Secondly are you under contract? Third thing is how many gigs do you have?

I ran a weddings band in which i set it up which took me a year and had to get musicians in which as a nightmare etc..anyway here is how it worked out

Expenses

PA system
Van
Advertising
1 year of unpaid work @20.000 PA

Profit

Gig pay 1800
(Agent fee 10%)

My cut-60% of 1700

other bandmembers 40% / 4 people

I thought i would illustrate that but you are probably in a different scenario. I had trouble with the band lineup because some musicians couldnt accept that they only got 10% despite the expenses and risks incurred by me, but its how you look at it...if you find you will make X amount over X amount of time, then it is better than nothing. But my hunch is you are getting ripped.
Last edited by DegaMeth at Feb 15, 2009,
It's just us 3 playing local shows around town. So far they've had one show before I joined and one show with me. Joe and Bob started the band and then they said they really wanted me in it too.

We're planning on playing another show in a couple weeks, but after that who knows how often we'll play? That's why I'm worried that it could take months before I get to pick out something (get my pay). That could be months from now! I'll be playing for them instead of everyone playing for everyone.

Also DegaMeth, we don't have any band expenses really. Everywhere we go, we have the PA/Lights/Transportation/Everything all provided. We just bring our instruments, plug everything in and play
jedinix

Last edited by jedinix at Feb 15, 2009,
As I see the problem, the terms of disbursement of money were not clearly enough defined. Just what does "really needed their share" mean? I interpret that to mean that your amp crapped out and you can't afford to fix it kind of thing. You have the guitar. It's not like the band won't function because you don't actually HAVE the guitar. Who determines whether you really "need" that money any more than the drummer? I mean, I totally see your point, but the agreement was in place. You just don't like how they are being applied.

Beyond that, I see the agreement as it is set up as being flawed. What if you quit? Would you be out your money? What if the drummer got his money, and then quit? That ain't fair.

Our band puts basically all of our income into a band account. That money is used for band expenses - buying merchandising, printing CD's, facility rental, etc.

The one time that one of us needed (or more to the point, "wanted") a payout, we ALL took one that the band could afford. That way, we were all paid equally and at the same time.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris, I see what you mean. It's a two way argument. The part that bugs me is that I can't get the money I need to finish paying for my guitar because he bought a $1,000 gaming laptop and refused to use his money to buy the drums he so badly needed.
jedinix

Take the money earned from gigs. Divide it and distribute equally (or under specific contractual terms) among the people in your band. Keep doing that untill your drummer can get his set and you can pay off your guitar and whatever other expenses you'll have. Simple enough.

P.S. "if you need it, take it" is not a specific contractual term.
bro0otal

Drummer

Guitarist___________Bassist________________Vox______________________Lead Guitarist
Quote by Banana Man
Take the money earned from gigs. Divide it and distribute equally (or under specific contractual terms) among the people in your band. Keep doing that untill your drummer can get his set and you can pay off your guitar and whatever other expenses you'll have. Simple enough.

P.S. "if you need it, take it" is not a specific contractual term.

See that's what I think we should do! Just divie up everything into thirds. If Joe and Bob want to do the "band fund" thing then they can, but this way I don't get shortchanged. Perfect solution
jedinix

Well I think the problem here is that the "band fund" money was not being used for collective band expenses (recording, making cds, transport, hiring practice rooms/PA), but for individual costs. If payouts are to be made, if there is surplus money in the band fund, everyone gets an equal share (unless someone owns the PA, in which case I believe the PA should get a share as well).

Think about it. Before joining the band if you wanted a new guitar, you would have to work to save up and pay it off. Same goes for the drummer, he would have to save up to pay his off. These expenses should continue to be yours, I wouldn't ask my bandmates to pay for my amp.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
AlanHB's put it perfectly above; a 'band fund' is fine for stuff that benefits the whole band equally, but stuff like amps and drumkits are personal affairs.

No-one else in my band gives a damn what guitar amp I use, as long as it's good enough to keep in line with the rest of the band's professional sound. Therefore if I was to upgrade my little Boogie to, say, a Matchless or something, it'd come entirely out of my own pocket. I can't see what benefit it'd be for the rest of the band.

However, if my current amp died, we'd most likely use gig money to get it repaired, since that's something that will have a direct effect on the band. At the moment we take a little cash out of some of our gigs in order to save for a new set of PA speakers - but if anyone needs the money, we just split it up depending who needs what (eg our drummer lives further away so we often give im an extra few quid to get a taxi home).

TS, as far as I'm concerned you're giving Bob a free drum kit. If he didn't already have access to a kit then perhaps you could understand putting a small portion of the earnings towards a new kit, as it would enable the band to do lots more gigs etc. but it sounds like you're doing fine with whatever equipment he's got.

Your mates probably aren't trying to rip you off intentionally- they're simply got a very immature, and somewhat idealistic, approach to handling cash.
Quote by AlanHB

Well I think the problem here is that the "band fund" money was not being used for collective band expenses (recording, making cds, transport, hiring practice rooms/PA), but for individual costs.

Think about it. Before joining the band if you wanted a new guitar, you would have to work to save up and pay it off. Same goes for the drummer, he would have to save up to pay his off. These expenses should continue to be yours, I wouldn't ask my bandmates to pay for my amp.

Thanks for a great answer! I worked and bought my guitar he should do the same! The thing is, we're not professional. We just gig around town and play. We don't record our own music, and our longest drive is 5-10 minutes from all our homes. IMO, a band fund isn't even necessary right now.

Quote by kyle62
However, if my current amp died, we'd most likely use gig money to get it repaired, since that's something that will have a direct effect on the band

And this is why I could kind of understand needing to get him a drum kit, since in March he has to give his back to its owner. He'll be out of a drum kit, which would prevent us from gigging. But when he bought the new laptop, I figured he must have money to burn...

Anyway, I'm talking to them tomorrow afternoon about it so I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for all your great help!
jedinix

Hey guys,

I talked to them and they decided to from now on split the money 3 ways! I explained to them how I thought band money shouldn't be used for personal costs and he said despite how he needs a drum kit, that we should split all costs. Thanks for all your fantastic help.
jedinix

Quote by jedinix
Hey guys,

I talked to them and they decided to from now on split the money 3 ways! I explained to them how I thought band money shouldn't be used for personal costs and he said despite how he needs a drum kit, that we should split all costs. Thanks for all your fantastic help.

i wouldnt hold your breath to be honest...dont want to be negative but i have been in those positions before.
Any "band funds" should go towards stuff that benefits EVERYONE in the band as whole. Such as making all costs that go into creating CDs/Demos to hand out at shows (or flyers, advertisements, etc.). That's a great way to spend the money. Generally a good rule is that anything that goes towards equipment shouldn't count as band funds-since once person benefits A LOT more (maybe a backdrop banner or something would be ok).

The best way to go about it with no complaints is you guys get the money. Then divide it evenly between all the members. In the case you need some things for the band fund, which like I said clearly helps everyone and isn't individual by any means, then you subtract that out first-then divide the rest up evenly.

EDIT: and don't trust those guys-keep a sharp eye out for them. They've already tried to cheat you once man-why wouldn't they do it again?