I've never tried it, anyone wants to share his/her experiences with it ? it looks really cool... for those who don't know, it's kind of a magnetic field generator that you hold like a pick, it's supposed to make your strings sound like a mix between a violin and a synth..
share !
I have one, and it's fun for layering over loops and whatnot, but otherwise it's just a toy.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
They're fun to mess around with, but you can do about two worthwhile things with it, both of which are almost completely useless in the context of a song.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
useful if you play prog rock and ambient music.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
It's far from useless.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Just about every post rock band has used one at some point in their lives. They're good if you know how to use them, if you don't spend a lot of time with them they can become generic/useless.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Overpriced, but definately neat. I love mine but don't use it very often at all. You can get a lot of different sounds out of it, but it really does take a lot of practice to become an expresive player with it, and on top of that you have to be pretty imaginative to find ways to incorporate it into songs as more than a novelty.

You'll want a guitar with normal string spacing and a humbucker in the neck position, you can use it on other things, but it's much more of a pain in the ass.
Ed O'Brien of Radiohead uses one on My Iron Lung in the beginning to make some cool sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JUlCU04p94 here he is using it. It sounds pretty cool to me.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by strat0blaster
They're fun to mess around with, but you can do about two worthwhile things with it, both of which are almost completely useless in the context of a song.

+1
Just work on your vibrato and save 100$.
Quote by bulletrocks522
+1

But they don't really vibrato...
i use my ebow for ambient jamming and cool synth sounds in my worship band, so I end up using it several days out of the week. for me, it was a worthwhile buy. i recommend you borrow one from a friend before burning $100.
It's really fun to play with..!
I really didn't have a chance to do much else with it; but Whammy pedal+chorus+Ebow..
Its cool.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
It's a cool toy to have. I listen to a lot of Sigur Ros and it's the best I can get to that Cello Bow sound.
I use mine as a toy and mess around with it when I hit a musical writer's block. I also use it on more ambient songs, but it's mostly used as a toy.
Quote by bulletrocks522
+1

+1

Well what it does isn't exactly a vibrato, its more like minimising your attack to swell and then giving you infinite sustain.

It takes a lot of practice to use, and even then the people I know who have one use it for fun rather than incorporating it into their songs extensively.

Its also useful if you play lots of sweeps, appregios and legatos.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I've seen Andy Timmons use them live on several tracks captured on the new release from Christian rocker Curtis Stephen (NOT Christian rocker Stephen Curtis Chapman).

They're not toys, at least not in his hands.

OTOH, an Ebow may take more practice than most people want to devote to something so specialized to get good enough with it for it to even seem to be more than a toy.

(I still want one, even though I suck. )
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
OTOH, an Ebow may take more practice than most people want to devote to something so specialized to get good enough with it for it to even seem to be more than a toy.

(I still want one, even though I suck. )

You do realise that you'd need to have mastered the technique in question [e.g. sweeping] then go and learn how to use the ebow on top of that technique right?

Its personally too much effort for me. Though I must admit that those who have mastered it immediately jack their coolness rating on that technique up ten-fold.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
You do realise that you'd need to have mastered the technique in question [e.g. sweeping] then go and learn how to use the ebow on top of that technique right?

Nope- I didn't realize that.

(I still want one. )

Actually, from what I understand, that is but one way of using the thing. AT seemed to use it for generating these landscapes of sound without any pick attack, but they weren't necessarily full of varied notes. Some were more like the stuff you'd hear from Robert Fripp when he's doing his "frippertronics" stuff. I'm sure most prog artists who use it would do likewise.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nope- I didn't realize that.

(I still want one. )

Actually, from what I understand, that is but one way of using the thing. AT seemed to use it for generating these landscapes of sound without any pick attack, but they weren't necessarily full of varied notes. Some were more like the stuff you'd hear from Robert Fripp when he's doing his "frippertronics" stuff. I'm sure most prog artists who use it would do likewise.

Yes that is true, it is but one way of using it.

However, I was thinking the same thing about "varied landscape of sounds", but you need to try the thing. In theory and on paper it sounds so awesome. However its not quite like a pick (i.e. hit a string and it makes a sound), you kinda have to move it around to get it to work, kinda something like a pinch harmonic, you need to use it just right to get it to vibrate. Plus the frequncies aren't like uber strong, vibrato tooo vigoursly and the strings mute out.

All in all I found it isn't so easy to use, but that's just me. It was on my GAS list, but after a trial I wasn't so keen on it.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Yeah, I got ya! If nothing else, you're going to need good fretting hand technique to get any real value out of it.

It boils down to this- if you have the cash to blow, are just jonesing for one, or are obsessive enough a guitarist to master the thing, go ahead.

Otherwise...you're probably better off buying something else...like a HiWatt Theramin pedal!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 18, 2009,
Buy a real bow.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I recently saw one for under $100 at Guitar Center of all places. If I hadn't already been buying a couple of expensive pedals...

I own an EBOW and I use it to record individual notes then overdub into a chord and it sounds very unique the way I do it, but it takes some practice to change notes fluently, but I manage to do it.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011