Page 1 of 4
What's wrong with people today? When was the last time you had a conversation with someone face to face? Even on the telephone? We hide behind our own invisible walls, so no one can hurt us. We hide our true feelings, so no one can hurt us. We put in earplugs so we can't hear what people say about us. We play music through those earplugs to distract us from our lives. We say we're closer than ever thanks to technology, thanks to the magic of social networking, but are we really? Do we really connect like we used to?
People in today's society are isolated. Computers, MP3 players, and cell phones have allowed us to isolate ourselves moreso than any other time in history. We have become a society of hermits; we can block out anything or anyone we don't want to deal with. Our communications have become cold and faceless, rarely more than some words thrown up on a screen. We don't even have the common decency to spell correctly, or even to bother trying; technology will hold your hand and show you where your mistakes are.
We have become numb to the feelings of those around us. Depression and sadness abound in life today, but more than ever, we ignore it. We're too self-centered, blocking out everything, to notice the kid crying in the corner of the classroom. We build up our social circles, and remove everyone else by force. We build up our mental walls, and remove everyone else by force. We put on our masks, pretend everything is alright, because we can't let on that life may be less than perfect; they'll throw you out of the circle if you do. We blind ourselves to the trouble of the world, and to the trouble of those around us, because we want to believe everything is alright. We need that security that there isn't anything wrong in the world, there's no pain, there's no sickness, there's no sadness, and we'll do anything to keep up the illusion.
What I ask is, “why?” Have we become so incredibly selfish, so outstandingly self-centered, that we can't spare a few kind words to a hurt friend? What happened to “Leave no man behind?” What happened to “All for one and one for all?” We put ourselves first, so we can keep our exclusive happiness. Everyday, everywhere, there are people hurt, people put out, removed from the public eye, from the consciousness of society. But most of all, people are afraid of removal, people are afraid of forced isolation. To be ostracized is anyone's worst nightmare, and we'll carve and whittle and chip away at ourselves, trying to carve ourselves into the picture of what a person's supposed to be, until we chip what makes us us away. We forget who we really are, what makes us unique, all in the interest of fitting in to what society tells us is what we're supposed to be.
I ask you, “why?” Why do we tell people to “be themselves,” but ridicule them for just that? You cannot be yourself anymore. Wear this, say that, you're doing this wrong, you're doing that wrong, always being changed to be what people think you should be.
Perhaps these two notions are related; people isolate themselves to escape being told how to fit in. However, isolating themselves leads to the pain that we feel today, and it all resolves to the human intention to perfect everything around them, regardless of the price or the effect. The miserable pain caused by those who try to fix you causes you to isolate yourself, and through that isolation, you lose the capacity for sympathy, leading to more pain, and we all suffer for it.
So go ahead, keep on pretending everything's alright. Tell yourself that this is just a phase, keep telling yourself that this is how it's meant to be, this is the way your life is, and this is the way it has always been. Keep pretending that those you are hurting aren't hurt at all, keep pretending that there are no repercussions for the way you act towards people, or for the lack of interaction therein. Keep yourself bottled up, abolish what makes you unique, and destroy your dreams, so you can fit in and be called “normal.”
Hopefully, you get the front row seat to the destruction of mankind.

tl;dr: Read it, you lazy bastards. It took 3 hours to write.

EDIT: Apparently the average UGer's intelligence has fallen quite a bit since my last thread like this. "Took 3 hours to write" is hyperbole, you retards.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Last edited by PlayMadness at Feb 15, 2009,
tl;dr
Quote by gjvx
Damn you Spicer001, I'll get you for this...

[GT]Spicer001 of the UG Gaming Force
Quote by Spicer001
tl;dr

sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by PlayMadness

tl;dr: Read it, you lazy bastards. It took 3 hours to write.

And that is why I'm not reading it....
If life gives you oranges, say "f*ck oranges" and bail.

Hey You!
I feel like I'm being crushed by a WALL OF TEXT!!!

EDIT: I skimmed it, and you said all you needed to say in the first paragraph.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Last edited by iantheman at Feb 15, 2009,
*warned*
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
3 hours? Why didn't you do something else in that time?
Scanned through it, the words I saw didn't appeal to me so sorry man, 3hrs wasted by the look of things.

Actually, went back and read the 1st paragraph for some reason... Do you realise you're writing it on an internet forum?
I've Made You A Drawing of a Giraffe Fucking an Elephant. Notice How His Moustache Looks Just Like Mine.

Your Mother's Got a Penis
Last edited by faultyy at Feb 15, 2009,
I think everyone in the pit has said it and we'll all say it again.

UG IS NOT YOUR BLOG.

EDIT: 3 hours to write that is ridiculously lame...
That took you three hours?

No offense, but damn - it should not have taken you that long to complain about how you don't think anyone listens to you, which is, without a doubt, the core issue here.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
It took me two seconds to know I wouldn't read that. You wasted 3 hours.
Quote by minibrowny
It took you 3 hours to write 737 words? wow, just.....wow.

It was a lot of difficult thought processes, I've had a hell of a week, and I had to find the words to express it.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
you took 3 hours to write something in the pit
this has to be a world record!
Gibson Les Paul Custom Black Beauty
Tokai LC53 Les Paul Custom
Tokai ALS48 Love Rock Les Paul Standard
Marshall DSL-50 Head
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Erm, I don't know where you've been but the world has always been more or less like that.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
You ask 'why'?
Since when has people ever been kind or good or just with each other? You're being a little naive to act like you've never noticed what bastards people are...

EDIT:
^^^ There you go.
Quote by metabolicmaggot
Win. +1 cookie for hide the beer.

I read it, actually very well written, though a bit hypocritical since your kind of bashing people talking on the internet and you spent three hours writing a post for the internet.

But I get it and I agree, very well done.
wait.. you've been writing that since 3 in the afternoon? don't you have a life or something?
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
K, koo.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
What’s a paragraph?

It seems a simple question, but as with so many fundamental questions giving a concise answer can be tricky.

Well, a paragraph isn’t a sign or a clue as to your content in the same way that headings are. Paragraphs are your content: the flow of ideas and the development of your argument.

Which means that you owe your readers respect when it comes to setting your paragraphs; readability is absolutely paramount, especially when you’re dealing in lots of text — when writing a blog, for example.

Amadoinitrite?
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
Blog it up.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
It took you three hours to type that?

So it would take you like...5 minutes to type a message of this length?

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Nexium
What’s a paragraph?

It seems a simple question, but as with so many fundamental questions giving a concise answer can be tricky.

Well, a paragraph isn’t a sign or a clue as to your content in the same way that headings are. Paragraphs are your content: the flow of ideas and the development of your argument.

Which means that you owe your readers respect when it comes to setting your paragraphs; readability is absolutely paramount, especially when you’re dealing in lots of text — when writing a blog, for example.

Amadoinitrite?

It was a stream of consciousness. Granted, my stream of consciousness writings tend to not come out well, with the whole multiple personality syndrome dealio...

And it used to be in paragraphs, but when I copied it from my blog, it got all fjdksa;jfkalfdjaks
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by PlayMadness
What's wrong with people today? When was the last time you had a conversation with someone face to face?

A couple of hours ago, it would be less if I wasn't home alone.

Anyway i only read the first couple of paragraphs, then got bored and laughed at the irony you're posting this on a forum to faceless strangers.
I know one place that isnt like that: an Southern Illinois University men's basketball home game. Get in the student section and its amazing. Everybody talks, and everybody gets involved. I went to one last night. I was shown on ESPN2 3 or 4 different times.

NOTHING HURTS BATMAN!

Quote by dannay
what this man says is correct.

Quote by clemm
WHAT IS THE PIT!?!?!!!!!!?!??
--clemm

n00b
Blog.

Blog it up.
Log it in.
Over, this thread is.
Grape Nuts.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

GREATEST
PIC
OF
LIFE

you just won the thread. a round of applause is in order *fap fap fa......CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

TF2 Player?
read some henry david thoreau or ralph walodo emerson.
Gear
American Deluxe Stratocaster
Deluxe Reverb Reissue
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Paragraphs, please.

Oh, and write something worth reading next time, I read three sentences at random and they were all horse shit.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by PlayMadness
What's wrong with people today? When was the last time you had a conversation with someone face to face?

A few minutes ago actually

Where is your God now?
Quote by clyne39

I've read their complete works, both of them. That's more or less where this stems from.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Quote by clyne39

Read some chicken soup for the soul and get on with life, rather. Complaining in a blog changes nothing, and if you're unwilling to work to fix the problem, you've no business complaining about it in the first place.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Baby Hamster won thread.. at least for me..
Thing is adorable..
Quote by NGD1313
Yes, my mom walked in on me getting my carrot skinned.

So I freaked out and flipped the vegetable tray.

There was ranch everywhere.

Quote by zwound
Win

Quote by __Pent__

^^Too bad I can't do this in real life
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! The wall hurts my brain!

btw... What about face to face? I dont understand ><. I thought the sun was still dangerous so I havent left my house in a few years... I feel so safe on the other side of this bright screen . It's like no one can hurt me....
Last edited by jackofclubs at Feb 15, 2009,
When was the last time you had a conversation with someone face to face?

Uh, about 20 seconds ago.

I don't really get your point. There's a wall of disjointed text rambling and you complain about a lot of "issues" I've never witnessed.

Maybe it's just me, but I think things are just fine.
read the first 2 lines. Then i realised that there were several delicious tacos right beside me.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Page 1 of 4