My band wants to record and since we are broke we want to do it ourselves.
We are going to rent all the mics we need but im trying to figure out how to use what we already have. This is nothing large, just a demo.

We have a behringer europower PMP5000 and a copy of adobe audition.
The mixer is a powered mixer, so my plan is to plug in 2 small speakers for moniters.
Do I have to plug in any sort of other speakers into it? like can I use the mixer without plugging in any speakers, and just using headphones? or can i just plug in some moniters, and switch between moniters and headphones?

My plan is to throw in cabs in the small storage closet with a mic and record. I mean to go out from the mixer straight into the computer.

anyone got any suggestions? concerns? We have about 300$ to spend on renting mics and anything else we need. the less it costs the better

thanks for the help
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
Last edited by Ramik at Feb 15, 2009,
Going straight from the mixer to the computer will yield a fairly low quality sound. You'll need some form of interface. I recomend either renting one along with the mics, or buying a second hand USB mixer of some sort.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
At that price point, or even double that.... or even triple that.... I would go to a studio and do it. No, not a pro studio that's going to ding you $100/hr or whatever, but a home/project studio that will do it for something like $150-$200 for a day.

You'll have access to gear that is probably better than anything you would rent or buy at your existing price point, and far, far, far more importantly, a person who knows what they are doing.

I run such a studio, and ONE of my near-field monitors is worth almost almost your entire budget. Oh, sure, you can make a recording with some cheap gear and a bit of guesswork, but even mixing is nearly impossible without a set of proper monitors. That's where all those "it sounds great on my recording rig, but sounds like crap everywhere else" threads come from.

I keep using this analogy, but you can have a Les Paul and a Marshall stack, but it will still sound like @ss if you have a chimpanzee playing it. Give an experienced player a Wal-Mart issue First Act guitar and some freeware plugins and he/she will sound 1000x better. Experience, as a rule, will trump gear, each of themselves. Greatness comes from experience+gear. Not one or the other.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 15, 2009,
Take a look at my sig, there are some suggestions to get stuff sounding good. Hopefully if you do have to do that yourself it will help you but it will also tell you everything you will need (you can skip a heap of it though if your on the cheap)
you need a recoridn interface if you want anything resembling good sound quality, a decent one will set you back about $150, unless you can find one used.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Ramik
My band wants to record and since we are broke we want to do it ourselves.

Thats exactly the opposite of what you should be thinking.

It's normally "I want to do it myself because I want to learn audio engineering and have crap loads of cash to spend".
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Ok Id like to learn audio engineering but I don't have tons of cash to spend. I already spent all my money on guitar stuff :P
Gear:

Esp Ltd DJ-600
Ibanez S520EX
Parker P 44 Pro
Traynor YCS100 Head
Traynor YCS412 cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD20
Boss GE-21
Ibanez TS7
EH Soul Preacher
BBE Sonix Maximizer 462 rack
I went about 15 years without building up my guitar rig because I was buying recording gear.

Seriously.... if you want to get into recording, you HAVE to be prepared to spend some money. Not tens of thousands of dollars, but certainly into the thousands.

Decent vocal mic - $300
Decent monitors - $500
Decent interface - $500

... and that's really only scratching the surface. There is software, more mics, cables, stands, any other fx you want to use that aren't already part of your software, headphones, any extra preamps, etc. Most of this stuff is NOT optional, either.

I'm not trying to deter you. I'm just giving you a perspective. Like many people, I went out and bought a version of Cubase a long time ago (VST 3.6... long before the SX series) and thought I was going to start recording kick-ass demos in my house. If I only knew what a slippery slope of gear acquisition and what a huge learning curve I would have to go through before being able to produce something that sounded semi-pro.....

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris

I'm not trying to deter you. I'm just giving you a perspective. Like many people, I went out and bought a version of Cubase a long time ago (VST 3.6... long before the SX series) and thought I was going to start recording kick-ass demos in my house. If I only knew what a slippery slope of gear acquisition and what a huge learning curve I would have to go through before being able to produce something that sounded semi-pro.....

CT

Oh ya, i can sympathise with this

i started out similarly all those years ago and i had no idea what i was getting myself into. home recording is a financial black-hole like no other.

if your band needs a demo/album recorded then just go to a studio. it'll take a tonne of money and years of practice (and i mean it... years) to get even decent results by yourself.
Quote by TheDriller
Oh ya, i can sympathise with this

i started out similarly all those years ago and i had no idea what i was getting myself into. home recording is a financial black-hole like no other.

if your band needs a demo/album recorded then just go to a studio. it'll take a tonne of money and years of practice (and i mean it... years) to get even decent results by yourself.

I can relate too. It absorbs money even more than GAS!
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
^ definatly, in fact, i can safely say that i have spent almost nothing on guitars since getting into this recording racket
I cant go that far. But I have spent more on recording.

Substantial amounts more actually..
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
A bit ebay trading may help if you are broke, I kitted out my entire studio on ebay and went hell for leather over three weeks or so - literally just finished by getting an M-Audio 88ES from ebay, got rid of a load of old tat, got a few job lots and split them etc.

On that budget, i would be more inclined to find a small studio like the guys above suggest if producing the demo to get you that deal is your aim.

Otherwise i'd spend it on a half decent interface and start building the studio up.

Just to give an idea on the ebay thing tho, with an initail investment of £100 after three weeks I have made that money back and now have the following kit to show for it:

Alesis multimix 8 USB 2
Alesis M1 Active MKII monitors
Sennheiser HD280 Pro Headphones
AKG C1000s mic
Shure Sm58 mic
M-Audio Midisport 2x2 int
Frontier Alphatrack
Novation Remote 25 (the older one) controller keyboard
M-Audio 88Es controller keyboard + Stand
Boom mic stand
****load of decent cables

I'm no salesman, I fix computers for a living. I broke my AD30VT for spares and got over £80 for that alone (You can get a working one for less - and I still haven't sold all the knobs), got a job lot of cheap faulty basses and set them up properley etc etc, broke the bad ones for spares .....

If you have your wits about you and give it your entire focus for a couple of weeks , you too could have a load of expensive crap eating electricity in your living room........

....and for the guys who think that their studio is a financial black hole - I've got three kids - wanna swap???
EPILPSTDYamahaRBX100BassTanglewoodTW28/STRFenderchamp600CubaseStudio5Saffirepro40AlesisM1ActiveMKIIMAudioKeystation88RodeNT1AShureSM57KeeleyModTS9MackieMCUwww.myspace.com/cuthbertgriswald
Quote by cuthbertg
...and for the guys who think that their studio is a financial black hole - I've got three kids - wanna swap???

Depends..are they hot?

Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by cuthbertg

Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by cuthbertg

....and for the guys who think that their studio is a financial black hole - I've got three kids - wanna swap???

Me too!

AND a studio! And a mortgage, and a wife who has gone back to college, and a car payment, and repairs around the house, and.... and....

Crap... no wonder I spent so long without buying guitars or amps.

CT