Hello, everybody.

As the title to the thread says, I'm new to customizing, but want to build me a custom guitar.

I'm not too bad with a brush, so I don't think the finish will be too difficult (just a few cans of paint, then a spray gloss, right?).

Basically, the four problems I have here is the electronics (absolutely no clue), getting the electronics themselves, the inlays, and obtaining the correct wood.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Do you know how to shape the body/neck or are you going to buy them?
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Um, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure out how to shape the body once the mysteries of the electronics are revealed to me.

Neck, not so much.

Oh, and I want to be using a fixed bridge, kinda important, lol.

And nothing special, just a six string.
Guitar building columns anyone ? Try google before UG, you can even choose the info that's right for you instead of waiting.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
What kind of inlay's did you want, into what wood fretboard?
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Sharkfin inlays, definitely.

Would making them out of glass or plastic be a good idea?

Probably an ebony fretboard, I want this to look metal-y.
Maybe you should try building a bowl instead?

Kidding, but google would help you much more in your current situation of know-nothingness.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
As recommended, a quick google search explained that yes, in fact, plastic inlays are a good idea.

Yes, it also solved my other problems, except for the electronics. Am currently looking at some EMG E4's.
Plastic wont looks so good though. Why not use the normal stuff... Mother of pearl, abalone, etc

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_pearl/Blanks/Pearl_and_Abalone_Inlay_Blanks.html
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
no emg e4's....passive emgs are crap. if you want emgs go with 81-60 or 81-85 sets, if you want passive, go for duncan, dimarzio, or maybe a custom builder, nuthinbuttrubl8 and cordoroyEW on UG build custom pickups...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I was going with the passives because I thought they were simpler to install, lol.

If it doesn't really matter, and I'm just disillusioned, like always, I'll go 81-85.
the only difference really, is the addition of the battery for active's, other than that, the take the same time to install.
Just call me Bobby
Quote by mikeyElite

Quote by Invader Jim
actually, the actives might even be easier cause they have that whole quick-clip system thing.

and they come with all the pots and output jack
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
check out guitarattack.com they got a sh it load of stuff on building n customizing guitars. and they got a whole section on how 2 set up pickups
Ah, there you have it, then. Disillusioned.

Through the help of you all, I've kinda figured out what I want here:

Black pearl sharkfin inlays

Ebony fretboard

EMG 81/85 combo

Grover tuners

"X" body shape (modded a bit, I'll post some design sketches in a bit)

Polished chrome-y pickguard

Widow/ibanez reverse headstock (not sure yet)

Fixed bridge
Indeed.
Last edited by Green_meep at Feb 15, 2009,
Mini update here (I'm kinda turning this thread into a WIP)

My dad's refused to create the body, so I'm thinking of getting the XPT700 body, then popping in the inlays on a new neck, getting the widow headstock, etc.

So I'll end up with a less custom version of what I wanted.
Indeed.
My suggestion is to learn all you can about scale length, neck angle, peghead angle, how necks and bodies fit together, and the tricks to design and construction that will last rather than warping and sucking... things that actually matter to how the guitar feels and plays.

I don't mean to be negative, but inlays, headstock shape, pickguard being polished, electronics will not really affect how the guitar PLAYS. If you're just worried about that stuff, you could just buy a production guitar and customize the headstock, inlay, and pickguard. The point to building your own instrument is that you can go full custom with it.

Now some advice and things to think about-

1.) For a first build if you do go ahead and do the body, consider making it out of Poplar. It's cheap, sounds nicer than alder in my opinion, and takes a finish really well. Plus, it's light, which is important when you're building a big, metal-shaped guitar.
2.) You realize you won't be able to see black sharkfins on an ebony fretboard, right?
3.) Reconsider the pickguard: How much routing have you done in the past? It's about the same amount of work to rout the control cavity from the back and it looks much better. Why cover up your paintjob with a piece of plastic?
4.) Do you have access to the following power tools? In order of importance: Router, Bandsaw (or heavy duty jigsaw/sabre saw), Drill press, Belt Sander, Jointer? You'll spand timr on each one throughout the project. Do you know how to use all of them? Even if you're just building a neck, you'll still need them.
5.) There are lots of different fixed bridges... which one were you planning on using? They require different design considerations so its something you need to pick out ahead of time.

I don't want to discourage you here, but this is a pretty big undertaking, it's a big commitment of time and money, and if you're going to do that, you should really do all the reading and learning you can before you let a saw touch wood.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Rebel, you are very correct. Had certainly not thought about the massive amount of effort needed.

I was originally planning on my dad creating it, but recently found out that he would not do it.

So, the project, for now, is closed :P
Indeed.
Why don't you get him to teach you to do it? I could see that going over much better.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Hm, very true, that.

I could get the basics from him, then learn how to do the various things that are required by guitar building?
Indeed.
That's a good linkie, there. I'll be using that.

Still working on finding a design I like.
Indeed.