So I came home from college this weekend to do some family things and I left my electric guitar up at school. At home, I have an acoustic. Now, when I got home I realized I had no guitar picks. As in 0. None. So I did a bit of thinking and thought, Brian May uses a coin, let's see how that goes. It's surprisingly REALLY comfortable. Been using a dime for the most part, but nickels are also nice for stuff that's more strumming. Anyway. Have any of you guys tried this? Also, just to clarify: This isn't gonna shock me if I try it on my electric. I'm assuming no, since Brian May does it, but I figure better to ask then to be shocked.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
ive actually used a peice of wood i found outside when i first started playing guitar....but no its not going to shock you if you use it on electric
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
i use any card...credit card, drivers license, library card
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Quote by erkdoken
So I came home from college this weekend to do some family things and I left my electric guitar up at school. At home, I have an acoustic. Now, when I got home I realized I had no guitar picks. As in 0. None. So I did a bit of thinking and thought, Brian May uses a coin, let's see how that goes. It's surprisingly REALLY comfortable. Been using a dime for the most part, but nickels are also nice for stuff that's more strumming. Anyway. Have any of you guys tried this? Also, just to clarify: This isn't gonna shock me if I try it on my electric. I'm assuming no, since Brian May does it, but I figure better to ask then to be shocked.

dont worry, the strings arent really "electric"
-Jake Blackwood
I like using weird things to see how they sound. Using a knife to play chords slowly sounds pretty cool. I could never use coins! They were always too thick for me :/
the strings arent charged with electricity! the pick-ups contain the electrical circuitry within a closed system to prevent that sort of thing happening.
i once made a pick out of the lid of an empty plastic butter pot when i ran out of picks. it was cool for a while - but it feels cheap.
Yeah I know the strings aren't charged. Just making sure that there's no way the current can jump from the pickups to the strings or whatever. . Like I said, better safe than sorry. And I wouldn't be able to play with paper...too thin.
Gear List:
Yamaha SJ-180 Steel String Acoustic
2008 Ibanez S520
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Peavey Vypyr 15W

Call me Erk.
they are gonna rip and kill your strings fast. i used to use a metal pick and it sounds awesome all metally, but the strings get worn out and scratched up and the thinner strings break if you strum them too hard. i really wouldnt recommend it unless you change your strings every day.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I can't stand anything but a thick tortex pick.

Nothing else.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
My fingers? I really never use anything other than a regular pick. I tried coins, but they just don't work for me.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']
There are people in this world who don't feel it necessary to vomit sunshine 24 hours a day. I'm one of them.

Current Gear
Yamaha EG 112
Esteban American Legacy
Jay Turser JTB-400M
Fender Frontman 212R
Effects
DigitTech RP50
Quote by erkdoken
Yeah I know the strings aren't charged. Just making sure that there's no way the current can jump from the pickups to the strings or whatever. . Like I said, better safe than sorry. And I wouldn't be able to play with paper...too thin.

Please tell me that was sarcasm.

i always leave a pick in my wallet, I couldn't stand the sound coins made.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
Please tell me that was sarcasm.

i always leave a pick in my wallet, I couldn't stand the sound coins made.

yep, my picks are in my wallet too...
Quote by tmfiore

Nothing else.

anybody else this picky? I won't use anything but the green dunlop tortexs. i used to only use dunlop gator grips (still ONLY use those on bass). I got a 12 pack of fender heavy picks in my stocking for christmas.......I've been trying to use them, and do like them, but find sometimes I have a problem keeping a grip on them. they either slide or i feel like i can't hold them how i like. same shape as the dunlops too!
weird, huh?
Quote by TwilightX
House key xD

i used that one time...the son of a ***** snapped my e and b string during a chord progression
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
If I don't have a pick available I use my fingers.I actually use my fingers a lot when playing blues or jazz,it just gives a nice sound.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
If I don't have a pick available I use my fingers.I actually use my fingers a lot when playing blues or jazz,it just gives a nice sound.

yeah i tried using my fingers...i just end up treating it like if i was playing slap bass on a guitar

that or popping it
Last edited by heretic-clown at Feb 15, 2009,
I play with whatever crap is lying around. Coins, USB drives, once my phone, another time a steak knife, my fingers, broken string, pedal(s), drumsticks, wire clippers, magnets(that was a fun night. XP) I even made a pick out of paper once.

Looking back, while a pick may be the most comfortable, I've gotten myself some funky sounds with junk...
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by heretic-clown
yeah i tried using my fingers...i just end up treating it like if i was playing slap bass on a guitar

that or popping it

I play a lot of metal,but I have a very heavy classical /Spanish style background,so I love finger picking.I will admit that I've slapped my 7 string a couple times just for the lulz though

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Pr0gNut
I play a lot of metal,but I have a very heavy classical /Spanish style background,so I love finger picking.I will admit that I've slapped my 7 string a couple times just for the lulz though

its actually pretty fun....makes me wish i never got rid of the bass i had
Quote by heretic-clown
its actually pretty fun....makes me wish i never got rid of the bass i had

Yeah it is fun,but I get burned out on it fast,I suck at bass

I always find myself playing guitar riffs on it.

I don't really experiment with something other than my pick and my fingers.

But I play with picks held sideways, round side on strings.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You know what? We ARE convincing him to buy an MG Stack. I mean, who wouldn't want the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, BRUTAL DISTORTION, BRUTALLY CRUSHING OVERDRIVE, and CRUSHINGLY BRUTAL DISTORTION, with built in digital effects!?
Quote by tmfiore

Nothing else.

+1
used to use coins
stopped.
Quote by scarecrow937
anybody else this picky? I won't use anything but the green dunlop tortexs. i used to only use dunlop gator grips (still ONLY use those on bass). I got a 12 pack of fender heavy picks in my stocking for christmas.......I've been trying to use them, and do like them, but find sometimes I have a problem keeping a grip on them. they either slide or i feel like i can't hold them how i like. same shape as the dunlops too!
weird, huh?

Same here. I played a medium pick, and didn't like it. Forget light picks.

I just go to the local shop and buy a bunch of thick purple picks.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by erkdoken

How old are you again?
My Gear:
Agile AL-3000 Honeyburst
Peavey Vypyr 15w
Teeth FTW. I use wooden picks, I have a few imitation bone ones too, And a case full of fender 20th aniversery picks, A Zakk Wylde signed pick, a Jason Newstead Ozzy bass pick A Sex Pistols pick and... a Mr Hankey pick.
Gibson 1972 SG Pro T-Top Bridge, P90 Neck
Dean DBD T ML
Jackson JS30RR EMGs 85-81
Epiphone G-400 Goth
76 Mann Les Paul Custom
Fender f-230 Accoustic
Randall RG-180 DX
Line6 Spider III HD75 Head - Behringer 412
Saving for a Marshall JCM 800.