Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been looking for a tube amp, and while browsing GC's site, I noticed the Windsor half stack is only $400. I find this curious seeing as the head itself is $400, so this seems like an amazing deal compared to all other tubes I've looked at. Should I get this? (Assuming I try it out and like it, of course).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-100W-All-Tube-Half-Stack-485059-i1320783.gc
If you try it and you decide you like it, then by all means, go for it.

Keep in mind that the Windsor is quite loud and needs a little room to breathe before it starts to sound its best. Be sure to invest in some pedals or an attenuator with that extra cash lying around from not buying the cab.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
can it be a combo??
Budget??
genres you play??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Eh, not a good choice. It doesn't sound too great. IF you get a different cab, you can get some decent sounds. But still not worth it.
It's not an amazing amp, but for 400 bucks I don't think it's too bad at all. Sell the cab, buy a decent 2x12 and replace the tubes, you should be alright.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I've read this amp isn't the best for clean sounds, but I play mostly metal. My budget is up to $800, but I obviously would rather pay less than that, assuming this amp will do the job. To be completely honest, I really don't need a stack, and I was looking into getting a combo, but I mean, stacks are just so cool...

As H4T3BR33D3R said, I'll just get an attenuator if it's too loud.
Quote by >>Kurtis<<
I've read this amp isn't the best for clean sounds, but I play mostly metal. My budget is up to $800, but I obviously would rather pay less than that, assuming this amp will do the job. To be completely honest, I really don't need a stack, and I was looking into getting a combo, but I mean, stacks are just so cool...

Look into used 5150's or just wait for the 6505+ combo to come out. Also check out some Peavey XXX's, WTF swears by them.
The windsor isn't really a metal amp, more of a classic rock amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by >>Kurtis<<

This really isn't the ideal metal amp IMHO. You'll definitely need to boost the front end and you still probably won't get the most br00talz tone.

Have you looked into any of the Budget Metal amps? The B-52 AT-112 or the Bugera 6262 might be a bit more up your alley.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by GNRjungle87
Look into used 5150's or just wait for the 6505+ combo to come out. Also check out some Peavey XXX's, WTF swears by them.

yup i do......

and also look for a Mesa/Boogie DC3 or a Mesa/Boogie F-30 used on eBay.......
feel free to add me
Has anyone tried swapping the the preamp tubes with something lower gain than 12ax7s? I've heard about it's absolute lack of cleans and wondered if popping an 12at7 or ay7 or some such thing somewhere along the preamp chain might make it a little more managable. Might be a moot point since it's obviously not designed as a clean amp, but has anyone tried?

Didn't seem like the effort was worth it on the windsor, but I've really been curious about this since the price has dropped
I have one and I like it. It can get clean sounds if you know what to do. The distortion is awesome with my Boss DS-1 so ya I would get it if you have a pedal for it. I recommend the Boss Metal Zone with it if you play metal
Quote by famous1234
I have one and I like it. It can get clean sounds if you know what to do. The distortion is awesome with my Boss DS-1 so ya I would get it if you have a pedal for it. I recommend the Boss Metal Zone with it if you play metal

I wouldn't recommend a Metal Zone to a deaf guitarist.

TS would probably benefit more from an OD and an EQ.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by famous1234

MT-2 = VERY ANGRY BEES ON A CAN
Metal Muff = Tamed Bees in a can........

+1 to EQ+OD.......
and the XXX is still an option.......
feel free to add me
Quote by famous1234

I don't.

So to repeat what others are saying, get a Mesa DC or F series or Peavey 5150.
I just sold one of these... I like them but not for metal, at least not new metal. If ALL you ever wanna play is guns n roses, ac dc, and the like by all means. But if you ever in your life get a wild hair up your ass and wana play something else, your **** out of luck. Great value, but no versatility.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
MT-2 = VERY ANGRY BEES ON A CAN
Metal Muff = Tamed Bees in a can........

+1 to EQ+OD.......
and the XXX is still an option.......

Maybe very angry bees in a can is what he's after? maybe hes in some sort of experimental powerviolence grindcore band?
Quote by sexwithdolphins
Maybe very angry bees in a can is what he's after? maybe hes in some sort of experimental powerviolence grindcore band?

Well in that case, he should sell all of his gear, invest in a Danelectro Fab Metal and a Marshall MG.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Great price and it's good for what it does but it doesn't do metal. Great for classic to modern rock, anything cleaner or heavier than that you're pretty much SOL. For the $ it's a good amp.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.