I want to record jam sessions of my band (guitar,bass and drums)
so I found this cool USB-interface

http://www.thomann.de/gb/line6_ux8.htm

Something makes me confuse.
On the backside u have eight inputs, can I connect the instruments/amps to this input/output with a "normal" guitar cable?
Which recording software would be the best for this interface.
Does somebody have any experience with the Line UX8 or can somebody tell me a cheaper version of an USB-interface?
Can somebody tell me which microphones (cheap and good )would be the best to record?
greets 40BPM
that one does have a couple of guitar inputs on it, but you wouldn't want to send an instrument signal into a mic input.

for software you have a lot of options, I like Sonar, but Cubase or Logic (if you run a Mac) would work just as well.

As for microphones, theres tons of different options what exactly do you need mics for?
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Feb 15, 2009,
So theroreticaly I could plug in eight guitars or in a realistc view for example
(2 guitars,1 bass,1 keyboard,1 vocal) and the microphones for the drums.
Can I record all eight inputs simultaneous?
For the drums I would choose condenser microphones, but I don´t which should I buy there are so much of them^^.

greets 40BPM
yeah I'm pretty sure it can handle 8 simultaneous inputs. for drum mics I generally use condensers for the overheads and sometims the hi hit and SM-57s for the snare and the kick, which ones you want to use depends on what kind of sound you want.

Last.fm
I would go along the route of a Mackie 802-VLZ3 8 channel mixer, and the Lexicon Alpha. We're talking about 300 bucks total, the 802 is a damn good mixer. And the Lexicon comes with Cubease LE4, which is great for recording.

my 2 cents.
Quote by Soda Popinski
I would go along the route of a Mackie 802-VLZ3 8 channel mixer, and the Lexicon Alpha. We're talking about 300 bucks total, the 802 is a damn good mixer. And the Lexicon comes with Cubease LE4, which is great for recording.

my 2 cents.

yeah, but the alpha doesn't offer 8 simultaious inputs, and it's usually better to give every mic/instrument it's own individual track so you can edit and mix each track individually.

Last.fm
I am not sure that USB will be able to handle all of those inputs at one time. You may get terrible latency and will it mix it down to two tracks?
Originally posted by arrrgg
When my grandpa comes over to visit, after his shower, he walks around naked to dry off
Quote by Led man32
I am not sure that USB will be able to handle all of those inputs at one time. You may get terrible latency and will it mix it down to two tracks?

It's USB 2.0 so it shouldn't be a problem.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
yeah, but the alpha doesn't offer 8 simultaious inputs, and it's usually better to give every mic/instrument it's own individual track so you can edit and mix each track individually.

I have the Lexicon Lambda and it has 4 simultaneous inputs. Two 1/4 inch and Two balanced (mic or 1/4 balanced), and also has monitor outs, as well as the usb.

There's another leg up too... called the Lexicon Omega and I believe that has 8 inputs on it.