I've been working on learning all the positions in the E minor Pentatonic. I think i finally got it and decided to upload a video of some random stuff. Tell me what you think and what you think i should work on. I played on clean with lots of reverb and a little wah here and there.

My Agile AL-3100 is at my guitar teachers house getting a new neck pickup (the stock one had a problem with it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juX2zaUKz1k&feature=channel_page

Thanks for any tips!
nice job! sounds good, try playing lower on the neck sometimes tho.
i left ya a comment check out my vids if u get a chance
Thanks man Ill work on playing lower on the neck, a you can tell i know the higher positions better

Awesome job on your videos by the way. That my curse cover rocked! \m/
Ya try playing in the open position E minor and you can get a lot of cool riffs pull off to the open strings that you might not be able to on 12
Signatures are too mainstream
By the open position you mean

Position 0
|------------------------------------0--3------
|------------------------------0--3------------
|------------------------0--2------------------
|------------------0--2------------------------
|------------0--2------------------------------
|------0--3------------------------------------

Right? Sorry, im not to good on all this new lingo
Pretty good man, but don't let yourself just get stuck playing pentatonics. Try to learn the notes in the Eminor scale that get left out in the pentatonic (F# and C) and stick them in every once in a while. It'll make your playing a lot more interesting if you use the entire scale. You sound like you're getting the hang of improvising some solo's, now you should try playing over a chord progression in Eminor.

Oh and diverdown is right, try pulling off to the open strings. The pentatonic patterns show up all over the guitar so don't restrain yourself to one, four fret box.

If you have some time: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069030
just check out your video. Sounds awesome man. Wish i could write half as good as you. I have a question on what you posted now. I would i go about learning the notes that are lefty out in the pentatonic? Would you happen to know where that tab is, if there is one?
Position 0
|--------------------------------------------0-2-3------
|------------------------------------0-1-3------------
|------------------------------0--2------------------
|----------------------0-2-4-----------------------
|--------------0-2-3-----------------------------
|------0-2-3------------------------------------

Try practicing that over a song in E minor
Quote by guildplyr369
Pretty good man, but don't let yourself just get stuck playing pentatonics. Try to learn the notes in the Eminor scale that get left out in the pentatonic (F# and C) and stick them in every once in a while. It'll make your playing a lot more interesting if you use the entire scale. You sound like you're getting the hang of improvising some solo's, now you should try playing over a chord progression in Eminor.

Oh and diverdown is right, try pulling off to the open strings. The pentatonic patterns show up all over the guitar so don't restrain yourself to one, four fret box.

If you have some time: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1069030

hes obviously just learning

stay with the penatonic, don't worry about more scales yet. If you can get to where you can do alot with 5 notes.. imagine what you'll be able to sound like when you throw in 2 more notes for a diatonic scale

what you really need to work on is your phrasing, but like I said on youtube. You're on the right track
Thanks for the comments guys Ill be working on what you tell me and try to learn these 2 more notes.
Peaceful Rocker, yes he is learning but it is just the same scale with two different notes thrown in. I'm pretty sure he can handle it.
I think alot of my guitar playing was built on being able to phrase well with penatonics, i spent a good deal of time simply working on penatonics. I think that was huge in me getting to where I am today, no need to rush him.. yes, theres only 2 extra notes.. but it's a big step.

I mean, hes not even playing over a backing track dude.. hes just now messing with the penatonics and you're already telling him to learn the major and minor scales? **** that, learn the major penatonic, learn the minor.. and start writing music with them.. putting them to good use, once you start to feel limited start learning the full major and minor scales
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Feb 16, 2009,
Thank you peaceful rocker. Ill take your advice and try to learn the major scale in E and play to a backing track, then learn the different keys in the major and minor scales? Does that sound like a good learning process?
pretty good... try to expand beyond that one position though.

please crit my mp3 on my profile
Quote by EbEar
oh and yao151 i love the fact that you as a fan of metallica and slayer likes John Frusciante, i wish more people around here had an open mind like that

see...
I'm not narrow minded

just narrow dicked
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Thank you peaceful rocker. Ill take your advice and try to learn the major scale in E and play to a backing track, then learn the different keys in the major and minor scales? Does that sound like a good learning process?

Yeah, you really need to learn how to tell what key a chord progression is in

Just remember its not a rush, and make music with what you're learning. Alot of learning guitarists memorize a bunch of scales in one position, and don't ever stop and put them to good use.. memorize one position and move on

Learn the notes of the scale, learn the notes on the fretboard. Learn the scale in every key, get to where you can play the minor penatonic in every key, all over the guitar. Then do that with the major penatonic

its alot of work lol, or it sounds like its alot of work. It takes years, theres no correct approach but I think you should spend a good deal of time learning the penatonics before you move to the full Major and Minor scales- ESPECIALLY if the artists you like use alot of penatonics. (Pretty much all rock, blues, and alot of metal too)
Interesting. Ill work on moving to different keys and stuff I guess its good i started learning the pentatonic scales, i listen to mostly rock and metal. How can i tell what key a chord progression is in?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503032

The key of the song is the chord that the progression revolvs around, a good way for begginers to find the key of the song is the figure out which chord sounds the best to end the chord progression on

If you want to get more technical with it and get a better understanding, in the link I posted read about chord progressions and the circle of fiths
Quote by Peaceful Rocker
I think alot of my guitar playing was built on being able to phrase well with penatonics, i spent a good deal of time simply working on penatonics. I think that was huge in me getting to where I am today, no need to rush him.. yes, theres only 2 extra notes.. but it's a big step.

I mean, hes not even playing over a backing track dude.. hes just now messing with the penatonics and you're already telling him to learn the major and minor scales? **** that, learn the major penatonic, learn the minor.. and start writing music with them.. putting them to good use, once you start to feel limited start learning the full major and minor scales

Dude I know exactly what you are saying. Almost everything I learned about soloing (and songwriting) I earned from practicing pentatonics. It does have it's downfalls though. Just from my personal experience I had to work hard to "forget" playing simple pentatonics because when my guitar teacher gave me more complicated scales I kept wanting to go back to the familiar patterns that I drilled into my head.

Its never bad to expand your knowledge a little bit. His brain won't explode because he learns an entire diatonic scale. And quite frankly, if you consider yourself a musician, even a beginner, you should know how to play major and minor scales. From watching the video it looks like he has a pretty good grip on making the pentatonics sound good. Why not push it a little further?

I'm not forcing him to memorize ****, I'm just planting the idea that there is more to soloing than pentatonics.
It looks from the video like he has just started learning the scale, and doesn't need to worry about anything else yet. Except putting it to good use, and having fun with it

I don't think that penatonics are all there is to do with lead guitar, but I do think they're the best scale to start learning on. I don't believe in teaching people to move onto other things until they have a firm understanding of what they've already learned
its all good, you are right to take it slow and don't rush into the more advanced stuff before you've mastered the basics. He just seemed pretty well versed when I watched the video
I feel like i know the E Minor Pent pretty well. I can play a solo using every position of the scale i think, and my guitar teacher started teaching a few more notes in it. I think he called then "blues notes" or something. What i cant figure out is why my solos sound so blues like.. when i try to play a rock or metal solo :/
well you see right there is why you need the other notes I tabbed out. Blues players use (mostly) straight pentatonic scales with the "blues" notes your guitar teacher is showing you thrown in. So if you play just pentatonic scales all your solos will have that same bluesy feel. Once you get into rock or metal songs you will want to use whole major and minor scales because they seperate your solos from being labeled "blues". You'll be amazed how just throwing those two notes in can help change your sound.
Most rock and metal uses penatonics too, they aren't only used for blues.

Black Sabbath, Metallica, Rage against the machine..

all of these bands have a very powerful sound, not "bluesy" at all.. and use penatonics most of the time. I could name a ****load more bands too.. I was just trying to get the point across by listing 3 vastly different bands.

Im not saying don't learn the major scale, its by far more important in the long run as far as understanding the guitar than the penatonic. But just have fun with what you've learned already for a bit

I put a link to my music back in my sig, if you want to return the critique
Yeah but you look at a solo in any song by those bands and I guarantee you can't find one longer than 30 seconds that doesn't use notes from diatonic scales (well except for some Tom Morello **** but that stuff is a completely different conversation). I knew I shouldn't have said pentatonic is always bluesy. Of course rock and metal use the pentatonics, just with the notes that make them major or minor thrown in. You can make some great RIFFS doing just pentatonic notes, but I like my solos to have a little more variety.
First off, peaceful rocker.. I listened to some of your songs, and i got to say i like them all! "Walk The World" was amazing! I wouldn't be surprised at all if i saw you guys on TV some time. And i actually added Walk The World to my profile

Ok, now. When you guys say "Major Scale" What scale are you actually talking about? And when guildplyr said "You'll be amazed how just throwing those two notes in can help change your sound." What two notes? Where are you guys getting all these scales from? I've just been trying to learn the scales from here.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=E&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1
Ahh that sucks.

Oh i feel like an idiot now!

So i can mix this "major scale" and the pentatonic scale to create one awesome solo?
Dude, you have too many questions for me to answer. You should read that link I posted on the previous page, and post any more questions in the musician talk section of this forum
Also, Zakk Wylde uses minor pent A LOT! Especially D minor pent, and his stuff sounds amazing!

Peavey 6505+
Les Paul Custom Silverburst

Tool 5/5/06
Tool 11/24/07
Tool 12/8/07
RHCP 4/28/07
RAtM 4/29/07
Black Label Society 3/7/09
Black Label Society 5/4/09
Metallica 12/7/09
Alice in Chains 2/8/10
Lamb of God 7/14/10
Quote by ¤TabMaster¤
Ahh that sucks.

Oh i feel like an idiot now!

So i can mix this "major scale" and the pentatonic scale to create one awesome solo?

Simple answer: yes

But definitely take the conversation to musician talk to figure out how