I have a V6 2000 Camaro. I can't buy a new engine (parents "/) but i want some more power. I'm thinking of buying a turbo charger or two but i have no idea what I'm doing. I know how turbos work for the most part but i have no idea what would be best for my car. Any suggestions or links to websites that could help would be greatly appreciated

Its a 5-speed manual if that matters
Last edited by fobfromgermany at Feb 15, 2009,
Are you racing? If not, that's a nice engine. It should be doing you fine. Is there something wrong with it?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
There are other ways to compensate for your small penis, you don't have to buy a new engine.
time machine. Inadvertently, I had created a
Then you definitely want a turbocharger. Save up, it'll be worth it. Before you put it in, make sure the rest of your parts can handle the power (they should.)
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
lol you guys are fags. Listen dude, if you want more power out of a camaro, get a V8. After you buy a turbo kit(which i dont even think they make one for that engine anyway) its gonna cost around $2k for a good one. Afterwards, you will be only making around 5 pounds of boost which is not enough for you to match an LS1 (the camaro V8). Not including the labor which is gonna be like anothe $1500. Not only that, but if you want more boost you will have to upgrade all of your interals (pistons, cam, heads, etc.) which there is almost no aftermarket for. All in all you will spend about $6k or more for all of that including labor since you cant do it yourself. Buy a used LS1 for $3 or 4k and have it installed. just make sure you get the right computer. Your clutch and trans might need upgrading too. Good luck
POOP
My Rig:(left out some stuff)
Peavey 6505 and Marshall 1960B cab
Epiphone Custom LP
Line6 PODXTLive
Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail reverb
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor Tuner Super Chorus
MXR 6-band EQ
The Trick Thread
Quote by neverspoiled
i think you should sell it, buy a donkey, and paint it red.

neverspoiled, you, my good sir, as they say, win.
make sure you are at stage zero matinance before you go doing anything.... plugs, wires, distribuiter cap and rotors, oil change, and other things of that matter.. dont over look anything. i think i would rather go with a supercharger for a camaro...
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
You can get a lot of things before getting a turbo that'll give you more power. Look into getting your heads ported and polished, a new intake, new headers, a cat back exhaust system, and while it wont' give you more power, something like 3.73 gears at the rear end to make use of the power you've already got. You don't need a turbo, dude, putting one on raises a ton more concerns. Depending on the boost level you wanna run, you'd have to step up to forged internals.

Whoever said get the V8 is right, though, just trade it in on the v-8, or a v-6 supercharged version. The factory supercharged v-6 is pretty damn quick.
You obviously know nothing about cars. Where did you hear turbos from? They have too much lag for drag racing (which is what Camaros are made for). Second of all, if you put a super on it, you may end up having to change the timing of your engine. It's a lot of work to do any modification that'll get a lot of power, it's not just slapping on some parts. By the sound of it, you wouldn't be able to do any of the mechanical work yourself, so you're going to spend a lot on it.
Finally, V6? If you want power, get a V8.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Quote by exiledsoul
You obviously know nothing about cars. Where did you hear turbos from? They have too much lag for drag racing (which is what Camaros are made for). Second of all, if you put a super on it, you may end up having to change the timing of your engine. It's a lot of work to do any modification that'll get a lot of power, it's not just slapping on some parts. By the sound of it, you wouldn't be able to do any of the mechanical work yourself, so you're going to spend a lot on it.

Mate, turbos are used for drag racing all the time. There's a four cylinder turbocharged fox mustang that runs low 9's in the 1/4 mile. The main reason is you can get more power out of a turbo than a supercharger.

EDIT: Vid of that mustang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BNqDdlzjxI
Last edited by irishstang_87 at Feb 15, 2009,
i believe ford dodge and chevy shouldnt be alowed to put 6-banngers in their once upon a time muscle cars that had 8 cylinders in them and call them the same name. no v6 mustang, camaro, charger.... etc...
My rig:
Gibson faded V
Dean Razorback
Fender Showman Strat
Dean Dimebag Tribute ML
Custom guitar
Boss ME-50
Marshall AVT50H

92% of teenagers have moved to rap, put this in your sig if you're in the 8% that still listens to real music.
Quote by irishstang_87
Mate, turbos are used for drag racing all the time. There's a four cylinder turbocharged fox mustang that runs low 9's in the 1/4 mile. The main reason is you can get more power out of a turbo than a supercharger.

EDIT: Vid of that mustang: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BNqDdlzjxI

One car that's an anomally.
Supers are used way more. Turbos are a fad. Everything with power still runs supers. SBC's, BBC's, all restored Mopars, all dragsters run Supers for a reason: they have no lag time, and they react much quicker.
Go to any track and it's very rare to find a turbo, I'm not saying they don't get the job done for dragging, but I am saying that a super runs much better.

There are many more 7 second cars running supers

EDIT: you can get naturally aspirated Vipers running 9 seconds. Turbos can't hold their own against a super charged v8 or a naturally aspirated v10.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar
ExiledSoul, you have just won the Best UG Liar award. Thanks for participating with your incredible dumbassery and lies.

Quote by gsr2k6
I have a turd with a carrot stuck in it. Its the GREATEST pet ever, makes quite the mess though.
Last edited by exiledsoul at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by robsta_65
lol you guys are fags. Listen dude, if you want more power out of a camaro, get a V8. After you buy a turbo kit(which i dont even think they make one for that engine anyway) its gonna cost around $2k for a good one. Afterwards, you will be only making around 5 pounds of boost which is not enough for you to match an LS1 (the camaro V8). Not including the labor which is gonna be like anothe $1500. Not only that, but if you want more boost you will have to upgrade all of your interals (pistons, cam, heads, etc.) which there is almost no aftermarket for. All in all you will spend about $6k or more for all of that including labor since you cant do it yourself. Buy a used LS1 for $3 or 4k and have it installed. just make sure you get the right computer. Your clutch and trans might need upgrading too. Good luck

he could do it his self if he has the tools Ive been rebuliding engines since I was 13, but everything else you say is true, I have a friend with a camaro with an LS1 in it and it will burnout through 3 gears its a beast haha
if you did put a super on it your probly gonna have to end up decopressing the engine so you wont blow up the bottom end. and turbos are good, but thats not the best option. if you had the money, i would sugest getting a built up LS6 stroked with a bigblock crank. but since u got a new engine i would get a turbo, cold air intake, and a superchips upgrade. that wont give you the most power but it would be plenty.
Quote by exiledsoul
Supers are used way more. Turbos are a fad. Everything with power still runs supers. SBC's, BBC's, all restored Mopars, all dragsters run Supers for a reason: they have no lag time, and they react much quicker.
Go to any track and it's very rare to find a turbo, I'm not saying they don't get the job done for dragging, but I am saying that a super runs much better.

EDIT: you can get naturally aspirated Vipers running 9 seconds. Turbos can't hold their own against a super charged v8 or a naturally aspirated v10.

True, but if you're just out for a cheap thrill, a turbo will get the job done. When it comes to anything under 10 seconds, you're right about the majority having superchargers. If you're building a street/strip car, though, turbo's can be a little better in some cases, since you only get full boost above a certain rpm, and you can run with a lot less strain on the block the majority of the time. There's a lot of twin turbo 350 Chevy's that are used as weekend racers, and I've seen a few Windsors turbo'ed too.
Quote by exiledsoul

you know nothing about cars, you can mount a turbo under the car in the exhaust and it will purify the exhaust and send it back into the motor I have a buddy who did that to an s-10 and is running 9.50 at the strip with a .5 reaction time

Quote by exiledsoul

there is a vid on youtube of a bmw racing a viper i think and the bmw waits until the viper is half track and just sits there building up boost and passes the viper and wins by like 5 car lengths, ill post the video tomorrow afternoon I cant find it now
Last edited by therealtater at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by irishstang_87
True, but if you're just out for a cheap thrill, a turbo will get the job done. When it comes to anything under 10 seconds, you're right about the majority having superchargers. If you're building a street/strip car, though, turbo's can be a little better in some cases, since you only get full boost above a certain rpm, and you can run with a lot less strain on the block. There's a lot of twin turbo 350 Chevy's that are used as weekend racers, and I've seen a few Windsors turbo'ed too.

Good point. If you're looking for raw power, go with a super. It'll be much more expensive. You'll also have to deal with extra heat (way more than a turbo), if you want even more power you'll probably end up running race fuel, then you'll have to change the compression of your engine as well.
If you want to get more power and still have money for gas left over, a turbo would be good.
I guess it's all down to preference and what you want, if you want to actually be able to afford driving this car, go with a turbo.
Either way I still wouldn't dick around with a V6 no matter which you choose.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
TS, check out www.hotrod.com and look at some of the project cars. They majority will be v8's, but it'll give you some idea of what you're dealing with.
Quote by therealtater
you know nothing about cars, you can mount a turbo under the car in the exhaust and it will purify the exhaust and send it back into the motor I have a buddy who did that to an s-10 and is running 9.50 at the strip with a .5 reaction time

there is a vid on youtube of a bmw racing a viper i think and the bmw waits until the viper is half track and just sits there building up boost and passes the viper and wins by like 5 car lengths, ill post the video tomorrow afternoon I cant find it now

You are actually stupid. Do you have any idea what a turbo actually looks like? It can't be mounted IN the exhaust. Turbos pump exhaust out of the engine faster so it can take in more oxygen to burn. It doesn't make a recycle loop it needs OXYGEN.
Your BMW example? Whoa that would mean that car is running the quarter mile in under 3 seconds, which by the way is impossible.

I'm glad that you know more than myself and my engine builder (both of are well seasoned with building/rebuilding engines).
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
Quote by exiledsoul
You are actually stupid. Do you have any idea what a turbo actually looks like? It can't be mounted IN the exhaust. Turbos pump exhaust out of the engine faster so it can take in more oxygen to burn. It doesn't make a recycle loop it needs OXYGEN.
Your BMW example? Whoa that would mean that car is running the quarter mile in under 3 seconds, which by the way is impossible.

I'm glad that you know more than myself and my engine builder (both of are well seasoned with building/rebuilding engines).

I have a friend who has a turbo tied into the exhaust and they did it on Trucks about a month ago, Ill find the video of the BMW tomorrow, and i've been building engines for about 3 or 4 years now, I'm working part time in a nascar shop building motors too I think I know what im talking about
Quote by therealtater
I have a friend who has a turbo tied into the exhaust and they did it on Trucks about a month ago, Ill find the video of the BMW tomorrow, and i've been building engines for about 3 or 4 years now, I'm working part time in a nascar shop building motors too I think I know what im talking about

No **** turbos are tied into the exhaust system. They don't loop the exhaust back into the engine though. Did you pass high school chemistry?
What happens in an engine?

Oxygen --> Carbon Dioxide and Water

It's called combustion, if you were pumping CO2 back into the engine, no combustion would be taking place, you'd basically be starving the engine of oxygen.
Quote by Immortal_Guitar

Quote by gsr2k6
It costs money.

Swap in a V8 and call it a day.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Quote by exiledsoul

You can get an equally as fast response time from a turbo by putting an injector in the exhaust manifold to keep the back pressure down. The problem that many high power engines such as 7 second cars would face using a turbo is that they're uncontrollable and would almost always end up destruction of the engine. But I don't know how a dripper would work with methanol powered race motors, a supercharger might be the only type of forced induction you can use in that case.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
I didn't know Camaros could run on turbo...

I thought they were all NA
Quote by IncubusMan999
donkey the wise, very good

Quote by Metal_Rich
Living up to your name!

Currently searching for more ego padding quotes.

Me in pit = me being bored. Any help is much appreciated.
because they shouldnt. (put a turbo on a cammy V6)

If your at the point where you have to ask your parents what you can do. you should probably wait to do it.

and while I wont debate turbo science. on a 2000 camaro. you can buy one WITH a V8 cheap. like 8000 and under.

at least here in utah you can.

why not trade it for something a bit easier to build. that will be more rewarding to the dollars being put in it?

"no replacement for displacement"

^ there is a reason that cliche exists.
Last edited by edwinalink at Feb 16, 2009,
this thread is so full of stupid I don't know where to begin correcting half of you

so I'm going to leave except for saying a turbo is not worth the time nor the money it takes on a V6 camaro.

buy a cold air intake, throw a decent muffler under your car, and thank me every time you fill up your tank and realize that you could have a turbo v6 camaro getting v8 fuel mileage and not even close to the same level of performance.
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by exiledsoul
No **** turbos are tied into the exhaust system. They don't loop the exhaust back into the engine though. Did you pass high school chemistry?
What happens in an engine?

Oxygen --> Carbon Dioxide and Water

It's called combustion, if you were pumping CO2 back into the engine, no combustion would be taking place, you'd basically be starving the engine of oxygen.

I put tied I meant looped, and you can I swear seriously google it and Im taking basic chemistry now