Hello.

I've always wanted to play the guitar, but have never really been able to get around to it. I had my own guitar for a while and have taken some lessons from my uncle, and I pretty much know the basics when it comes to chords and such. I no longer have a guitar, but I'm really interested in buying one and learning how to play it. I'm not sure if I will get lessons, I mainly want to teach myself.

So my question is, what kind of guitar should I buy? Right now I'm looking at an Epiphone Les Paul custom. To me it seems really upscale for a beginner, but I'm willing to pay the extra money for it. I've just never been the kind of person to bring myself to buy something cheap, and I also don't really want to upgrade to something nicer once I've gotten better at it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
where you buying? uk? us? budget

can't go wrong with a pacifica 112 or squier standard (much better than the affinity)
though if your looking at an epiphone lp custom them your budget might be good enough to get you a fender mexican strat?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I want to play really any kind of music. I'm more into rock/classic rock though.

And I'm in the USA, I don't really have a set budget, but I don't want anything extremely expensive.

Also, what's a good amp to start with? I forgot all about an amp...
I have an Epi Les Paul custom and it is a great guitar for pretty much any style. I play everything from Lamb of God and Trivium to Tool on it and it works great for everything. Im using it with this amp: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-Flexwave-Series-FW15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481054
and it has a great distorted tone for rock (nothing TOO distorted) and good clean tone too. Plus the amp is good for such a cheap price. So if you have the money this would be a great guitar to start out on and would still be good for after you get better (the guy I bought mine from played in a band that played stuff like Metallica, Nickelback, Saliva,....so yeah)
Good luck with w/e you choose
My Gear:
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Quote by TheMuffin
I want to play really any kind of music. I'm more into rock/classic rock though.

And I'm in the USA, I don't really have a set budget, but I don't want anything extremely expensive.

Also, what's a good amp to start with? I forgot all about an amp...

two words: Danelectro '63. Best guitar ever made for the price.
Thanks for all the replies. I've been looking at YouTube reviews for Epiphone Les Pauls and I'm seeing that some people have recommended buying new tuning knobs. Is this really needed, or should I just look into it if I have problems with keeping it in tune? And are there any other recommended upgrades I should look for?
Mine stays in tune great I just have to tune it once about every 3 or 4 days and the only string I have to tune is the low E (probably from bending ) and the previous owner had it since 2001 I think and hasnt put any upgrades into it and it is still a great guitar. The only problem I have is that sometimes the selector switch doesnt pick up when set to treble but all I did was take the back cover off and spray some compressed air into it and it worked fine.
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
Thanks again!

Last question: I'm probably going to order online, probably from musiciansfriend.com. I know that I'll need to buy a case and a stand, but what kind of cables should I buy, and is it really necessary to buy a hard case AND a soft one?
You shouldn't really worry too much about getting a hard and soft case until you have to worry about taking your guitar from place to place. Oh, and you should probably go ahead and get some spare strings right off the bat. I have an Epi Les Paul and in general, the strings they come with break relatively easy. My E string broke the very first time I picked it.
I have cables like this: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-Advantage-Series-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=330470
and they work fine. You might wanna go ahead and get 2 though incase you need the other for something later, like a pedal. And a few packs of strings would also be a good investment, maybe something like this: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-3221-Nickel-Regular-Slinky-Electric-Guitar-Strings-3Pack-?sku=101107
or I heard these were good for not breaking: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ernie-Ball-3121-Coated-Electric-Guitar-Strings?sku=108505
My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Custom
Jackson SLSMG
Line 6 POD HD500X

My SoundCloud
The Epiphone seems a good choice, it is a nice balance of price and quality, some people give up if they have a crap guitar, but the Epiphone is quite good, but also, if you do decide to quit, you haven't lost loads of money. Just a bit of advice, teach yourself, if you have a teacher you just mirror his style as opposed to making your own. If you are commited, teach yourself, if you are less commited, get lessons.
Get a Monster cable, they're great, with very little, if any, feedback. They're a little pricy but there's a lifetime warranty so if it "breaks" just go to the store for a new one.
If your looking at Les Paul look at Agile at rondomusic.com they're def. a better guitar and cheaper too. thats just my opinion.
You and I are mortal, but rock n roll will never die.