so my guitar friend was telling me about with an HSS strat, you could rewire one of the tone knobs to the humbucker so you have a tone knob on the humbucker.

I searched around and couldn't find anything on this. Anyone have any ideas?

Since with my strat i never use the middle pickup, i was thinking use that tone knob to the humbucker
you've just got to swap everything around, if you look at the current setup you should be able to work out what needs changing. it should kind of look something like this at the moment:

middle pup --> tone pot --> selector switch
bridge pup ------------------> selector switch

so you need to wire the bridge pup to the tone pot the way the middle pup is currently wired to it, then move where the tone pot was connected to the selector switch to where the bridge pup was, then connect the middle pickup directly to where the tone pot was connected.

you might need to change pots as well but i dunno if it matters with tone pots
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by mark_wuk
The most useful mod is this one:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp

Which will allow you to control bridge and middle with one tone pot and the neck with the other.

Thanks. How would i go about doing that though. Im not too smart with electronics. Just buy some wire, cut off an inch and solder it to each of the parts i guess?
All you need to do is solder a suitable piece of wire to make the loop that is pointed to in red in the diagram - one of the easiest mod there is - and it works great. I've got my neck/middle on the one tone knob.
Quote by mark_wuk
All you need to do is solder a suitable piece of wire to make the loop that is pointed to in red in the diagram - one of the easiest mod there is - and it works great. I've got my neck/middle on the one tone knob.

Suitable piece of wire? What size/kind?
To be honest, if you can't work that out from looking at what is there, you really shouldn't be putting a soldering iron anywhere near your guitar.
Quote by mark_wuk
To be honest, if you can't work that out from looking at what is there, you really shouldn't be putting a soldering iron anywhere near your guitar.

No its easy to do it i think. Im not bad with a soldering iron. Just wondering what kind of size/kind of wire would work best
Most people recommend 22-26 AWG - I usually use cloth covered guitar hookup wire.
Ok thanks for the help.

One more question, a little off topic though. Once i take off the pickguard, while putting it on, i'll probably need to readjust pickup height. With the humbucker on mine, instead of a screw on each side of the pickup, on the side closest to my face when holding it normal, theres two screws, but on the other side theres only one?