Hi Guys,

For the past month or so I've been learning the notes on the entire fretboard & I started of with writing the notes on printout's of fretboard images which I found too cumbersome.

Being my geeky self, I wrote a java applet to help me with the same & I'd like share it with the community. You can find it here - http://www.random75.com/guitars/learn/learn-play-guitar-notes-scales-modes .

Let me know what you guys think, your suggestions for improvement, etc. Most importantly I'd like for you guys to verify if I got the notes & scales right, don't want to give out wrong information.

And, if you'd like me to add more scales(I only know diatonics), let me know.

Thanks
Ashish H.
Very nice!
I think we could use more nerds here on UG...

I skimmed over different scales and didn't notice anything that was obviously wrong. One thing I might suggest is to make the "quiz" section better. I have absolutely no idea how to make it better but showing a note and having you click where it is (without reward) just doesn't do it for me.

But other than that, it's very amazing.
Jesus loves you.
Thanks Decapped, your suggestion for a reward is a good idea to keep someone going at it. I'll get something like that soon.
Very cool, very nice.

One thing I noticed was some issues with enharmonics. For example, I'm quizzing myself on A Phrygian and it's prompting me for an Fb instead of an E.

I realize how difficult it is to get the enharmonics correct on these kinds of apps...I've tried it before.

Overall, really cool though. Keep it up, I'd love to see more guitar related apps!

edit: Also, I think it may be too easy in the sense that someone can just keep going back to the only A note they might know...I think you could set it up somehow so that you must know where MANY of the A notes are instead of just one.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by ramm_ty
Very cool, very nice.

One thing I noticed was some issues with enharmonics. For example, I'm quizzing myself on A Phrygian and it's prompting me for an Fb instead of an E.

Thanks for finding this one out, it should be fixed now(hopefully I didn't break anything). BTW, if you see "[0.1.1]" in the top-bar of the app, you have the fixed version.

Quote by ramm_ty

edit: Also, I think it may be too easy in the sense that someone can just keep going back to the only A note they might know...I think you could set it up somehow so that you must know where MANY of the A notes are instead of just one.

Good catch there, I ended up doing the same thing , I have a nice solution in mind, hopefully I'll get some time next weekend
I liked it alot, but you should add more scales, such as Harmonic and Melodic Minor, seeing as they can be somewhat common. Also, maybe penatonics as well? just a few suggestions, but all in all, very impressed goodjob
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
pretty cool but i like fretboard warrior better for simply learning notes.

as for scale notes go, this is great!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Great idea, like said previously, instead of being able to go back the the same A note every time it comes up, maybe you could make it so that once you've picked that note, there's an x, or the note name stuck there so you're forced to choose a different one... if you know what I'm saying.

Using an x to mark it would make it slightly harder than leaving the note name so they don't have a reference to go off of once they choose it, assuming they can't keep it memorized long enough for it to come up again.
I'm Tyler
Last edited by Octtwe88 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Octtwe88
Great idea, like said previously, instead of being able to go back the the same A note every time it comes up, maybe you could make it so that once you've picked that note, there's an x, or the note name stuck there so you're forced to choose a different one... if you know what I'm saying.

Using an x to mark it would make it slightly harder than leaving the note name so they don't have a reference to go off of once they choose it, assuming they can't keep it memorized long enough for it to come up again.

Thanks for the suggestion to use X to mark done notes, I've implemented the same.

I'll be implementing a counter for right & wrong counts some time soon & possibly a few other scales.

Thank you all for your feedback, more feedback is always welcome.