Page 1 of 6
Well after messing around with the 100gbp build i made (see my sig), i have decided to go all in and make a bass with some good materials.

The Design:
I went through a good few possibilities (and threads) but setlled on this:

The Specs:
Body wood: Ash middle with sappele wings
Body shape: Fender jazz bass with ibanez sr505 horns
Top: either quilted maple or flamed maple (opinions?)
Neck: Fender Style made from maple
Headstock faceplate: same as body
Fingerboard: rosewood
Controls: Two volume, one master tone, and a mini coil select switch.
Tuning: BEADG
Scale: 35'
Pickups: Undecided
Hardware: Gold, undecided brands. probably budget allparts.

Any opinions/obvious flaws/ideas?

thanks,

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 15, 2009,
Although the center strip looks a little out of place, the rest is beautiful.
We've drained full confession booths, polluted drinking wells with our repentances, and then stood grinning with our arms around the shoulder of a rotting child.

If you resist change, you will be here forever.
Quote by NorfIrIon
Although the center strip looks a little out of place, the rest is beautiful.

you'd prefer it like this?

I have made a start on this build today anyways.
here are the pics:

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 15, 2009,
i see a flaw. kinda major. any bass with a 35 foot scale would be very hard to play. i suggest 35 inches.

anyway, looks good so far, cut that b**** out and start workin'!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Please, don't cut it out like in your template. Round everything nicely.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
i see a flaw. kinda major. any bass with a 35 foot scale would be very hard to play. i suggest 35 inches.

I Lol'd. Very good point.

Im diggin' the build.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by Duval67
Please, don't cut it out like in your template. Round everything nicely.

The template is perfectly rounded, it just wasn't flat against the wood.

Quote by AngusJimiKeith

it would be hard to play but it would be genious engineering!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134

yeah it would be pretty genious. 40 piece neck, anyone?

cant wait to see this take off...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by shinhoman
The template is perfectly rounded, it just wasn't flat against the wood.

Ah okay, my mistake.
Looks great then.
Sounds like a very interesting build. I shall follow it's progress.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Keep the centre strip. Make your LEDs light up when you press down on the fret (PM if you want the wiring diagram). I'd remove the control plate and go for the Squier Deluxe V style. Ebony fretboard, let that Musicman pickup growl. Bridge : Grotoh 201, it's as good as the BA but half the price. Can I also ask why 35"? Finally, i think the best pickups around are Nordstrand. If you're using good woods, add to it with good pickups.
2 things to ssay about this

kudos on using the lakland headstock, it's a very sexy design

and i suggest maple for the fretboard
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Micehorns
Keep the centre strip. Make your LEDs light up when you press down on the fret (PM if you want the wiring diagram). I'd remove the control plate and go for the Squier Deluxe V style. Ebony fretboard, let that Musicman pickup growl. Bridge : Grotoh 201, it's as good as the BA but half the price. Can I also ask why 35"? Finally, i think the best pickups around are Nordstrand. If you're using good woods, add to it with good pickups.

That LED thing sounds like a really good idea but i just fancy a simple on/off switch to be honest.

Yeah i had actually considered different types of control layouts. I have made a thread previously about this design. here's the link: Click here

I will try and get some ebony for the fingerboard but if not i will just stick with rosewood.

Why 35''? Because i can! nah i've heard of fender 5 strings with 34'' scale having floppy b strings, and a lot of companies use 35'' scale on their 5 and 6 string basses. they must all do it for a reason!

Quote by skater dan0
2 things to ssay about this

kudos on using the lakland headstock, it's a very sexy design

and i suggest maple for the fretboard

i'm glad you noticed about the headstock. I think 3+2 headstocks are so much better than the silly 4+1 fender use.

If you look at that link i posted you will see that i have a nother bass just like this one in stall for the future which will have a one piece maple neck!

x

EDIT: In case you haven't noticed, this bass is just takign the fender design and 'improving' it, to make it more suitable to me.
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Please for the love of god rear rout the control cavity and get rid of the ugly J-style cover on the front-- without a pickguard it looks completely out of place. Then make the rear cavity cover with matching wood from the body and use magnets to attach it-- instant class.
Quote by shinhoman
That LED thing sounds like a really good idea but i just fancy a simple on/off switch to be honest.

Yeah i had actually considered different types of control layouts. I have made a thread previously about this design. here's the link: Click here

I will try and get some ebony for the fingerboard but if not i will just stick with rosewood.

Why 35''? Because i can! nah i've heard of fender 5 strings with 34'' scale having floppy b strings, and a lot of companies use 35'' scale on their 5 and 6 string basses. they must all do it for a reason!

The only reason I asked about the 35" scale thing was because I havent played a 34" with a floppy B in my life. I can understand it from a comfort point of view, I just dont think there's anything to fix with a 34". Try a 35" scale before hand though.

LEDs are very easy to get working, even I got mine working! Installing them is a little tricky though. You'll have the benefit of putting the fretboard on the neck. If you're at all interested in purple LEDs, I have a lot lying around at the moment.
Quote by Micehorns
The only reason I asked about the 35" scale thing was because I havent played a 34" with a floppy B in my life. I can understand it from a comfort point of view, I just dont think there's anything to fix with a 34". Try a 35" scale before hand though.

LEDs are very easy to get working, even I got mine working! Installing them is a little tricky though. You'll have the benefit of putting the fretboard on the neck. If you're at all interested in purple LEDs, I have a lot lying around at the moment.

Well im personally a person who cant stand wasting materials. The neck blanks im gonna get will fit a 35 scale so i want to try one; but yeah if i get a chance i will play some 35 scales.

Thanks for the offer about the purple LEDS, but i bought some 5mm red flat LEDS off of ebay last week. They arrived a couple of days ago. Pics soon.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Comrade Curry
That is sexy looking, in a skanky 3rd and 49th street kind of way lol. Tbh there's something about I don't like, just can't put my finger on it.

too much gold? and i live in the U.K so that street reference means nothing to me.

over here we name our roads with words

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by shinhoman
too much gold? and i live in the U.K so that street reference means nothing to me.

over here we name our roads with words

x

No I was just kind of saying lol, I think it was the color of the wood in your mockup
Quote by Comrade Curry
No I was just kind of saying lol, I think it was the color of the wood in your mockup

ahh ok. well it is unlikely to come out that colour, as that was just done in photoshop with the paintbrush tool. For the colour just imagine midtone purple?

The whole reason it is purple/gold is because purple is opposite yellow (meh its close enough to gold) on the colour wheel. Therefore in theory the colours should compliment each other. I think when i buy the hardware i will take a picture of the shade of gold it is, and invert it on photo shop to get the exact complimentary colour.

If the gold is quite orange'y then it will go closer to blue, but if it is yellow'ish then it will stay purple.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Last edited by shinhoman at Feb 18, 2009,
I love everything about this build, including that wood combo

Yes to the ebony FB and Gotoh hardware. Don't cheap out on that stuff I have an Ibanez Artcore with no-name tuners and it won't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I was thinking...since you apparently like the idea of a control plate, why not do an EBMM style one instead so it looks right? That way it doesn't looks like there's something missing.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by guitarcam123
you don't have a centre line on your template?

im not actually using that template in my build. that was just a quick trace around the body of my jazz bass to size everything up.

Quote by Mutant Corn
I was thinking...since you apparently like the idea of a control plate, why not do an EBMM style one instead so it looks right? That way it doesn't looks like there's something missing.

i tried but it doesn't really fit:

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Is a purpleheart fingerboard too over the top?

any better with the bare maple headstock?

or should i go with wenge?

I know people have suggested using ebony but i just cant justify spending 25 quid on a fingerboard!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Keep the purple headstock, go with either wenge or ebony for the FB. Either will sound amazing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Nah that purple heart looks good!

Why cant you justify £25? Its nothing in the long run. Do you have a job? It will take like a couple of hours to earn enough for a fingerboard that will hopefully last for years.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man

hmm the ebony does look quite good though doesnt it?

Quote by Shinozoku
Keep the purple headstock, go with either wenge or ebony for the FB. Either will sound amazing.

Quote by Absent Mind
Nah that purple heart looks good!

Why cant you justify £25? Its nothing in the long run. Do you have a job? It will take like a couple of hours to earn enough for a fingerboard that will hopefully last for years.

hmm... i really can't decide what to do. I will have to have a think. No i don't have a job. could do with getting one though....

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
WENGE OR EBONY!

please?

this will be an obnoxious sexbeast with the contrast.

and possibly white LED's?

As well, are you set on that tuner style? I much prefer this style:
------

Shwiggity.
Looks like an intersting build, will keep watching this thread as I'm going to mod my old P-Bass and thought about putting LEDs in the neck.

Sorry for a hikack here but I'm just wondering how I'd go about fitting them into the neck?
Quote by deftonesordie
WENGE OR EBONY!

this will be an obnoxious sexbeast with the contrast.

and possibly white LED's?

As well, are you set on that tuner style?

Yeah it is most likely going to be wenge although if i have enough money, i'll fork out for some ebony (i like bright basses)

i have already bought red led's im afraid.

and i dont really like them tuners to be honest.

Quote by TobyFellrunners
Looks like an intersting build, will keep watching this thread as I'm going to mod my old P-Bass and thought about putting LEDs in the neck.

Sorry for a hikack here but I'm just wondering how I'd go about fitting them into the neck?

Well you're gonna need to take the fretboard off, make a channel in it for the wires, and connect it all together. Then run it through into the body to a 9v battery.

Big job really.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Bought some pickups from spinynorman from bass chat.

They are 5 string mim jazz pups:

I'm only going to use the neck pickup in this build, but im going to hang on to the bridge one too just in case i dont fancy buying a bridge humbucker.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Got an update on the body wood. Cleaned it up a bit today and glued it.

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
..sorry if I misread anything, but from looking at the last pictures of the mockup you posted.. has it changed to a fretless build?

..or can I just not see the frets in the mockup picture?
Quote by james4
..sorry if I misread anything, but from looking at the last pictures of the mockup you posted.. has it changed to a fretless build?

..or can I just not see the frets in the mockup picture?

nah it is still gonna be fretted. i just didnt draw in the frets.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by james4
alright, cool
I was going to suggest another layout for the LEDs if you deciding fretless..

looks pretty good so far

cheers man.

This build is probably gonna last quite a while as i still have a lot of materials i need to collect. e.g neck wood, top wood for body / head, one of the pickups, electronics, frets, hardware......

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Can you get replacement pickup covers for 5 string musicman pickups?

cheers

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134