Page 1 of 2
hey guys,
so for all you who know me, from this week exclusivly,,, i got the peavey classic 30, and $400 later it was not my thing. the american strat i bought... the pots were stuck. so guitar center has it and said they would fix it. i dont want something thats f'ed up out of the box. so anyway ill have $1000 credit back on my card and am going to buy the Line 6 HD150 head. i loved it when i played it, has everything im looking for. my cuz haz the vetta and he sounded great last night at the studio but i dont have 1600 to spend.

so i can get the Line 6 HD150 with the spider lll cab for 650

but id rather it be through a more higher end cab like a marshall etc. so id be willing to spend around $300 on a cab. whats the best in that price range???
Used Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12
or
Used Marshall 1960A (I got mine for 350)

EDIT:
DO NOT BUY THAT HEAD!!!!!!!! IT SUCKS BALLS!!!!!! GET A USED PEAVEY 5150 OR A B-52 AT-100!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by bulletrocks522 at Feb 15, 2009,
Please god do not waste your money on that Line 6 piece of junk.

At least go for the Spider Valve or a Flextone if you must get a Line 6.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
DONT SELL YOUR SOUL TO THE LINE 6 SPIDER!!!!!!

what is your full budget for an Amp??
and what genres do you play??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Trading a Peavey Classic 30 for a Line 6 Spider 3 Head. Nice move.

Here's my advice, don't get the spider under any circumstances. The peavey may not be your thing, which is ok, but do NOT get a Spider. Play some of the other tube amps at the store, see what they have in stock. Almost anything would be better.

I know from experience.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
I don't think you deserve good gear if you didn't like the classic 30 and want a spider.
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by tona_107
I don't think you deserve good gear if you didn't like the classic 30 and want a spider.

I think he deserves whatever gear he's willing to pay for. The Classic 30 isn't everyone's cup of tea (though I have to admit I've got my eye on an old Classic 50 in a local shop).

I can't really advise you on a proper cab, as I only play combos, but I think it would be best for you to just ask the people at GC to let you try the head on a few of the cabs they have lying around and pick the one that sounds best to you.

By the way, it would be wise not to mention the amp you're getting in future inquiries on this site. You'll get more help if you leave it out of the equation. Many harbor a vehement hatred toward the things, and will spend most of the time telling you to get something else (even if that wasn't your question) or, in many cases, simply insulting you for liking the sound of the amp.
how can you not like the Classic 30, yet like the spider?

if you get that amp head you might as well put a rotten egg underneath it as a cab, because about as good as it will sound anyway.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by acdclandon
how can you not like the Classic 30, yet like the spider?

if you get that amp head you might as well put a rotten egg underneath it as a cab, because about as good as it will sound anyway.

Pretty much.

Just get a used 5150 or something, even a Rebel if you mic it at large gigs.
Quote by ccmu

By the way, it would be wise not to mention the amp you're getting in future inquiries on this site. You'll get more help if you leave it out of the equation. Many harbor a vehement hatred toward the things, and will spend most of the time telling you to get something else (even if that wasn't your question) or, in many cases, simply insulting you for liking the sound of the amp.

To an extent, I agree with you. But we're also trying to help him not succumb to bad digital sounding tone.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by ccmu

I also somewhat agree with you, but at the same time it really doesn't matter what cab he runs, it still going to sound bad, so we're advising that he rethink the spider move, because its going to be a mistake in the end
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
the way i see it
the guy can buy whatever he wants since its his money
if he likes it
let him buy it
i let a buddy buy 150 2x12 a while ago
and he still likes it
so if its his thing
then its his thing

its just like some of you are saying about the peavey classic 30 not being everyone's cup of tea
why cant you say the same for the spider? (rhetorical, i dont need any "IT SUX BALLSS!!!1!1!!")
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
im not going to get into an argument about it. i have no time. to my ears, thats what i like. until i have 4 grand for a pro setup its this head all the way.

so please all im asking is what is a good cab for me to pick up tomorrow?
try out a couple
how much $$ can you devote to the cab?
Glimsom wrote:
I fell several hundred feet, and hit the ground, and then Batman appeared. He said "You gotta press the Y Button to fly." Then I woke up.
around 300 more or less. prefer less. my cousin has the hd150 through a marshall 1960's and man it sounds like your at a van halen concert.
im using a crate GT412 cab w/celestions
it works great for me as i cant afford a higher end cab yet

your cousin has a marshall cab w/celestion vintage 30's
which = the fuxkin sex
youre not gonna be able to afford one of those yet

just get something cheap like a beringher (sp) or something

you can always upgreade later
Glimsom wrote:
Quote by joecerillo
im not going to get into an argument about it. i have no time. to my ears, thats what i like. until i have 4 grand for a pro setup its this head all the way.

so please all im asking is what is a good cab for me to pick up tomorrow?

Dude you don't need 4 grand for a better amp then the spider.
You could get an amp MANY times better than the spider head for
the same amount of money.
Argh.

Try renting a cab for now?
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by roarinflames
im using a crate GT412 cab w/celestions
it works great for me as i cant afford a higher end cab yet

your cousin has a marshall cab w/celestion vintage 30's
which = the fuxkin sex
youre not gonna be able to afford one of those yet

just get something cheap like a beringher (sp) or something

you can always upgreade later

for $680 i can get it with a marshall mg 412a(which i know is made of pegboard like materials, but its the speakers that are important.
---4 - 12" custom-voiced Marshall/Celestion speakers
Angled or straight-front configuration
8 ohm
Handles 120W---

or am i better off saving $30 and going with the spider lll 4x12's(4x12 celestian speakers)
Quote by Faux~Affliction
Dude you don't need 4 grand for a better amp then the spider.
You could get an amp MANY times better than the spider head for
the same amount of money.
Argh.

in your opinion

sorry
i just wish people were a little more respectful to others' preferences
Glimsom wrote:
Last edited by roarinflames at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by joecerillo
for $680 i can get it with a marshall mg 412a(which i know is made of pegboard like materials, but its the speakers that are important.
---4 - 12" custom-voiced Marshall/Celestion speakers
Angled or straight-front configuration
8 ohm
Handles 120W---

or am i better off saving $30 and going with the spider lll 4x12's(4x12 celestian speakers)

honestly you can find something better, i have this, and it is uter **** complete piece of crap, and no im not saying this just cus its mg, i got sucked into the mg half stack scam lol, and i havent been able to replace the cab yet, but its hard to get my ac30HH to sound as good as it should, you can probaly get a 2/12 for like 300 and it will be decent, it wont have the bass response but if TS using a spider, will it really matter??
^^ no it wont matter
the spider has a LOT of low end, as do alot of SS amps
my other guitarist has the 150 2x12 and my drummer barely hears my 100w tube amp over it when we jam
pretty ridiculous actually
Glimsom wrote:
bugera
crate

either of those are cheap and good
like 249
Glimsom wrote:
Quote by roarinflames
bugera
crate

either of those are cheap and good
like 249

Crate FlexWave Series FW412 120W 4x12 Guitar Cabinet?

Line 6 Spider III 320W 4x12 Guitar Speaker Cabinet

B-52 LS-412 400W 4x12 Guitar Extension Cabinet
FWIW, I went cab shopping this weekend and tested all three of those cabs (Crate FW 4x12, Bugera 4x12 and Line 6 Spider II 4x12) and ended up taking the Line 6 home.

Tested all 3 side by side through the same amp head (my Blackstar HT-5) and with the same guitar (Ibanez Art 300) and to my ears the Line 6 easily won out.

That said all 3 are quite obviously low end cabs, while the build quality isn't bad, it's clearly done with the low price in mind.
the crate v series cab is cheaper than the flexwave

theyre like 249
flexwave is like 320 or something
Glimsom wrote:
if you need one asap look into marshall 1960a used. i think they go for around 300 used on most craigslist. if u got a week or so call up avatarspeakers.com and you can get a nice 2x12 with your choice of speakers for 325. if you decide to go guitarcenter i don't think 300 bucks will get you far. they do sell that 2x12 marshall cab for around 200-300ish but i heard horror stories about it.
can you just rent an amp for your gig?

lots of places allow you to rent stuff..

on one occasion my friend was able to rent a fender tele and an orange rocker 50 half stack for like.. $80

look into it!
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Get a better 212.

Framus do a nice 2x12 cab.

This, get a nice Framus 2x12...

other than this, get the Line6 box. The quality of the wood is okay, the overallqualtiy is crap, but the speaker are nice... They are Celestion g12p-80s, which are known to be the smaller version of g12t-75 and sound for budget speakers pretty nice. For this price, this cab is unbeatable (If you're not going to go used, of course)

Just never try to change the speaker in this box. Never.

And guys, stop flaming poor TS just because he likes a spider, thats so imature
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

"with golden hair and perfect eyes,

with hollow words and empty lies."
dude seriously when your ears get a bit more sound sensitive you ll realise that the spider does not even have the depth in tonality that a tube head has...JUST DO THIS: take that head and another tube head...run them through a recording device and just LOOK at the signal waves...the spiders waves will be thin and jagged.....hard clipping from a solid state gain stage followed by HORRIBLE digital simulations. with a tube head you get THICK and SMOOTH waves that actually come alive when you play.

just saying since you noobs do not listen to us when we say i sounds better....do a technical test with the soundwaves and check it out for yourself...tone is subjective but on a screen, watching the waves there is no way you can still say that a spider has a "better" sound.
Quote by georgakis187
dude seriously when your ears get a bit more sound sensitive you ll realise that the spider does not even have the depth in tonality that a tube head has...JUST DO THIS: take that head and another tube head...run them through a recording device and just LOOK at the signal waves...the spiders waves will be thin and jagged.....hard clipping from a solid state gain stage followed by HORRIBLE digital simulations. with a tube head you get THICK and SMOOTH waves that actually come alive when you play.

just saying since you noobs do not listen to us when we say i sounds better....do a technical test with the soundwaves and check it out for yourself...tone is subjective but on a screen, watching the waves there is no way you can still say that a spider has a "better" sound.

i did listen to you guys, and i bought a peavey classic 30. i asked what is a good cab, now this is turning into a maury povich. im not touring the world with guns and roses therefore im happy with my decision so you can either answer the question, or dont waste everyones time.
Quote by joecerillo
i did listen to you guys, and i bought a peavey classic 30. i asked what is a good cab, now this is turning into a maury povich. im not touring the world with guns and roses therefore im happy with my decision so you can either answer the question, or dont waste everyones time.

what is the speaker in the classic 30 ????
you could just switch it to some V30's or GreenBacks.........
Peavey Stock speakers tends to be crappy..........
I think that a speaker change will be the best choice...
and did you try out the Classic 30 before you buy it??
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by OrangeWalls
This, get a nice Framus 2x12...

other than this, get the Line6 box. The quality of the wood is okay, the overallqualtiy is crap, but the speaker are nice... They are Celestion g12p-80s, which are known to be the smaller version of g12t-75 and sound for budget speakers pretty nice. For this price, this cab is unbeatable (If you're not going to go used, of course)

Just never try to change the speaker in this box. Never.

And guys, stop flaming poor TS just because he likes a spider, thats so imature

hey i cant find a "framus" anywhere. any websites u know of?
Quote by joecerillo
hey i cant find a "framus" anywhere. any websites u know of?

Ebay my friend and Craigslist.....
and go to your Guitar Center/local music store and see if they sell used products ther is an 60% chance that they have a framus in there...
feel free to add me
Just get a Line 6 cabinet. You don't really need something fancy your head since the crowd won't notice the difference if you use a 1960 cab or a Line 6 cab.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Clicky Clicky

Thomann was the only website beside my local dealer (beeing in germany, doubt he could help you). Dont know if thoman ships to America, but you can try it

+1 to you above me
Gear:
Ibanez SZ320 -> Höfner Analouge Delay -> MXR GT-OD -> Laney GH50L -> T.C.Electronics GMajor -> Line6 4x12 w/ Celestion G12T-75

My Lyrics and Poems

Quote by georgakis187

Wow, so we have to look at an oscillator now to decide whether something has good tone?
Quote by georgakis187
dude seriously when your ears get a bit more sound sensitive you ll realise that the spider does not even have the depth in tonality that a tube head has...JUST DO THIS: take that head and another tube head...run them through a recording device and just LOOK at the signal waves...the spiders waves will be thin and jagged..... hard clipping from a solid state gain stage followed by HORRIBLE digital simulations . with a tube head you get THICK and SMOOTH waves that actually come alive when you play.

He has a 150W Head... How will this thing clip?

And the simulations are actually not that bad. And even important. If he likes it, then he likes it. Thats a fact. You have a Jcm900, right? I'd take even a Vox VT over every single JCM. I tried them. Not my tone. So, even if your soundwaves (which are btw just graphics and dont mean a **** about sound) seems to be sooo much nicer, i didn't like them. A'm i know deaf?

To your soundwaves. This is the biggest bull**** i've ever heard. I have no clue when it comes to soundengeniering, and even i know, that soundwaves are never thin or thick. They exist, but thats it. As said before, they tell you a **** about the characteristics of an amp. No way man, sry...

Gear:

My Lyrics and Poems

Page 1 of 2