Page 1 of 5
Most of the UG community deny bands that some would consider as a heavy metal band.
Examples are Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and Kiss.

How do you define between heavy metal and hard rock?

And "Heavy metal is better" is not an answer because Hard rock is definately way better.
I'm just kidding... But for me there is no huge distinction between these two genres.
It's how you consider how heavy the guitar sounds.
For example, for me at least, something not as heavy as Cream, The Jeff Beck Group, the Foo Fighters, Post-David Lee Roth Van Halen, and other bands are hard rock.
To get more specific, heavy metal as a very diverse genre as it was usually split between the blues influenced and the pure heavy thrash metal since the 1970s.
So that would make Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and others as metal bands, and even Aerosmith for that matter.
They denied it for decades, but I don't know what's heavy metal when AC/DC and Guns N' Roses aren't.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
I know what is heavy metal and what isn't because I'm a metalhead and I can feel it.\

I don't think that Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin or any of the others you listed are metal.
Last edited by Trefellin at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by Trefellin
I know what is heavy metal and what isn't because I'm a metalhead and I can feel it.

Feeling is for you, that's pretty valid I guess.

so you really can't headbang to the Immigrant Song?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
AC/DC = Hard Rock
Black Label Society = Metal

The best I could come up with, really.
To me:
Quote by crazy8rgood

In fact, I almost ALWAYS agree with YourDad.

Quote by itchy guitar
One of the best replies ever.

In the same thread

Do you love Arsis?
i just judge by speed of drums, and guitar solos. lyrics and yea, how its all put together lol.
i guess i have never really looked at it before.
Quote by misfitsramones
i just judge by speed of drums, and guitar solos. lyrics and yea, how its all put together lol.
i guess i have never really looked at it before.

Isn't that Thrash metal?

Foo Fighters and Cream are hard rock

They're Alternative Rock/Grunge and Psychedelic Rock, respectively, but Hard Rock is too diverse as a genre it covers anything hard that's not punk.

No band has only one genre that brands them, remember that... well besides the Sex Pistols.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
I can't explain it. It's totally different. To me, this is the same question as "How is country music different from rap?" Showing by example would be hard because there are a lot of different types of metal so one or two examples wouldn't explain very well.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Feb 15, 2009,
If they have pointy guitars, they're metal. If they have smooth guitars, they're hard rock.
kill all humans
Quote by Masonpwiley
I can't explain it. It's totally different. To me, this is the same question as "How is country music different from rap?" Showing by example would be hard because there are a lot of different types of metal.

I meant heavy metal in general, including thrash, nu, and others.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Metal is typically more brutal. (not br00tlz) Hard rock is generally more melodically driven with more emphasis on the over all sound of the music and it also possess and shows its blues history.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

most of the time it's pretty straightforward to determine, the only time it gets sort of ambiguous is with proto-metal stuff like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
in headbangers journey sam (who has a phd in metal) classifies deep purple and such as early metal.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
If they have pointy guitars, they're metal. If they have smooth guitars, they're hard rock.

Albert King uses a Flying V, so he MUST be heavy metal.
Oh yeah, and Sammy Hagar uses a dean so he definately is heavy metal.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by Trefellin
I know what is heavy metal and what isn't because I'm a metalhead and I can feel it.\

I don't think that Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin or any of the others you listed are metal.

Pff, I wouldn't even go that far. I know what is heavy metal and what isn't. I'm not a metalhead. I just like the genre.

I can't really explain it, you do just feel it. Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, while not metal, are defintely what I'd call "proto-metal," if you know what I'm getting at. They definitely have some elements of metal and inspired countless metal bands, certainly. Sabbath is really the earliest band that I consider metal.

Imagery and sound are a big part of it, to me.
Quote by jetfuel495
that is one goddamn shiny mother****ing toaster you have there
Quote by Dog--
It seems the top of those waffles are burnt.
Quote by imdeth
The toast has little red arrows growing from it. Nobody wants that.

SHUDDUP AND EAT YER TOAST
Quote by alaskan_ninja

even tho this is kind of a dumb post but tends to be true sometimes
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Metal is typically more brutal. (not br00tlz) Hard rock is generally more melodically driven with more emphasis on the over all sound of the music and it also possess and shows its blues history.

That's so true, you've got it sir
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
i can answer!
rock started out with rock and roll, and slowly progressed until it reached a crossroads. hard rock is just rock progressed more. alot of blues still in it if you listen. but metal works more towards exotic scales. metal kinda started off with that glam period, then they combined with punk to give you more hardcore stuff, and from there they kind of shot on up.

and really when you get down to it, it's really just a difference in label and culture, because they really do cross each other alot, and blend.
Last edited by athlete1 at Feb 15, 2009,
Quote by ToastYerLicks
Pff, I wouldn't even go that far. I know what is heavy metal and what isn't. I'm not a metalhead. I just like the genre.

I can't really explain it, you do just feel it. Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, while not metal, are defintely what I'd call "proto-metal," if you know what I'm getting at. They definitely have some elements of metal and inspired countless metal bands, certainly. Sabbath is really the earliest band that I consider metal.

Imagery and sound are a big part of it, to me.

So it's the matter where you would consider the Stooges and Velvet Revolver to be punk or proto-punk?
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by radomu
So it's the matter where you would consider the Stooges and Velvet Revolver to be punk or proto-punk?

I don't think anyone in their right minds would classify Velvet Revolver as either, I'm going to assume that you mean the Velvet Underground.

Last.fm
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I am not a metalhead but I can as well. I am a casual metal fan.

I'm a huge metal fan because I love Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and AC/DC
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I don't think anyone in their right minds would classify Velvet Revolver as either, I'm going to assume that you mean the Velvet Underground.

whoops, confused, sorry
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by YourDad
AC/DC = Hard Rock
Black Label Society = Metal

The best I could come up with, really.

Hells yeah Black Label oozes metal...

Led Zeppelin-hard rock
Black Sabbath-Heavy Metal

Quote by radomu
I'm a huge metal fan because I love Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and AC/DC

...sigh... those are hard rock if I've ever saw.
Last edited by dethead666 at Feb 15, 2009,
The difference is the level of aggression.

Pantera is metal

Guns n Roses is just rock.
Quote by tangled
The difference is the level of aggression.

Pantera is metal

Guns n Roses is just rock.

What about doom metal? a lot of times it's not very aggressive at all... Hair Metal isn't all that aggressive either.

Last.fm
I think GNR is definitely metal, just their hits are a bit more melodic.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I still can't stop laughing at the fact that some of you think Guns are not heavy metal.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
What about doom metal? a lot of times it's not very aggressive at all... Hair Metal isn't all that aggressive either.

Yeah pretty much thrash and modern metal (core ****) is the only kind of metal that's extremely aggressive.
Quote by radomu
I still can't stop laughing at the fact that some of you think Guns are not heavy metal.

Of course they're not. Their guitars aren't pointy at all.
kill all humans
Quote by radomu

their hit's are usually more hard rock, so i can see where they are comin from, if that's all they listen to by them.
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I honestly think its personal opinion of the listener unless its an obvious metal band. Its hard for me to explain honestly I just know in my head what fits in each. Like GNR is hard rock but Megadeth is metal.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by alaskan_ninja

Oh **** you
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
when the bad is on the fuzzy line between hard rock or metal, i go along with whoever states an opinion first.

it's not that i don't have opinions of my own; i simply don't care enough to discuss/argue about it. i listen to hard rock and metal, thank you very much, so it doesn't matter.
Quote by Joetime
Every time I masturbate it feels like I'm committing a small scale infanticide. Feels cool.
Quote by Lethal Dosage
I honestly think its personal opinion of the listener unless its an obvious metal band. Its hard for me to explain honestly I just know in my head what fits in each. Like GNR is hard rock but Megadeth is metal.

It's funny that Marty left Megadeth to Japan to concentrate on Pop and other genres besides metal, forcing him to switch to an Ibanez from Charvel Jackson.
Actually, he's not doing anything Popish because of the amount of overdrive he uses on his guitar when he does sessions with japanese musicians.
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Quote by alaskan_ninja

slash begs to differ:
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
few metal bands that I have heard have as much emphasis on the Minor Pentatonic scale whereas Hard Rock bands practically abuse it.

correct me if I'm wrong.
I love both genres though.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Page 1 of 5