hey folks
I'm traveling overseas this summer, and I plan to take my strat with me

now, I've asked around before and what I've heard the most was that usually they let you carry the guitar as a carry-on into the plane, but that is subject to change and you can seriously screw your guitar if you do check-in

so... I guess my only safe option now is to ship it... the question is, is it safer than checking it in as a baggage?
I heard that guys working with the plane baggages can be pretty rough with them...

If I get a decent hard case and maybe pack it with newspapers and wrap it with a bubble wrap and ship it, would that most likely be safer??
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne

thanks for the advice dude, but if the flight is as rough for your guitar as people say,
I'm probably gonna need some high quality flight case...... and I just don't have 300 bucks to spend on a case right now : (

unless, of course, shipping a guitar in a hardcase costs like 200, 300 bucks; then I would somehow get a flight case
Quote by thelax
thanks for the advice dude, but if the flight is as rough for your guitar as people say,
I'm probably gonna need some high quality flight case...... and I just don't have 300 bucks to spend on a case right now : (

unless, of course, shipping a guitar in a hardcase costs like 200, 300 bucks; then I would somehow get a flight case

Make sure you loosen the strings too
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
I took mine In a gig bag as carry on, as long as it fits in the over head bins nobody cares. I checked everything else.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Quote by PedroLesPaulVM
I took mine In a gig bag as carry on, as long as it fits in the over head bins nobody cares. I checked everything else.

I dunno... if it's gonna be up there with bunch of other large bags, I wouldn't feel safe with a gig bag; maybe that's just my crazy thinkin

I guess I'll just loosen them strings, pack it up nicely and ship it : P
Quote by Lethal Dosage
Make sure you loosen the strings too

There's not much point to that, since you'll still have the tension of the trussrod.

I've flown with a few guitars and my advise would be to get a good hard shell case (not an incredibly expensive one), in case they don't allow you to bring it into the cabin.

I usually just lay the guitar in it's case (in tune) and then I put on a few T-shirts (or something similar) to make sure it can't move about in the case during the flight. I've sent two of my guitars through check in and while the guitars themselves were fine, their cases were noticeably damaged, so since then I've always flown with them as cabin luggage.

Quote by PedroLesPaulVM

They usually allow you to bring a backpack or something similar, too. Also, depending on the flight, they sometimes let you put your guitar in the first class coat compartment.

One final note about shipping with the strings in tune: I can't think of a single brand or store that loosen the strings prior to shipping.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 16, 2009,
it'll be just fine if you check the guitar as baggage. Get yourself a good hardcase and wrap it in some blankets if you can (like the small fleece ones), as these will insulate the guitar and prevent it from any possible warping that may occur from extreme temperature changes.

I don't think there's any heating in the cargo bay so the extra insulation will allow it to change temperatures slowly.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Also, make sure it's covered by some sort of insurance. Your (or your parents) home contents insurance might cover it, so it's worth checking.

Given the hassle, it might actually work out cheaper and easier to leave your beloved guitar at home and pick up a cheapo second one at your destination instead.
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
hmmm... looks like the general consensus here is that checking in is fine as long as I get myself a good hardcase;

is there any specific cases you guys can recommend? cause I know some of them can be expensive but not real heavy duty (i. e. vintage tweed cases...) and some of them look tough but actually are pretty vulnerable