I was just wondering if any of you guys knew what gear Tony Iommi used in paranoid to get that fuzzy, raspy tone that is heard during the solo. It is extremely distinct and I don't believe I have heard anything close to it an any other song by any other band.

Thanks
fuzz box? I'm just going by your description
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i dont know. although it is EXTREMELY hard to get that, im not sure how to desribe it but clear(?) sound. its a fuzzy sound but yet very clear and crisp.
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
you have to keep in mind that its played by TWO guitars at the same time in the recording, as with all of Tony Iommi's recordings, he doubled up and played two slightly different solos alongside each other, other than that use a flanger aswell
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
I get pretty close by just using my neck pickup with high gain.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
well, uh. Chop a couple of fingers off. cover them in plastic and leather, and try playing the solo like that.
isn't there an octave harmony effect as well? like a blue box or something?
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
but that was how long ago? couldn't it have just been the equipment back then? i'm not talking the whole sound, but a part of it. but a mild distortion sounds right, maybe try a digitech grunge pedal and put the grunge real small.. i'm about to try it tomorrow, can't wake up the old people.
Quote by konigstiger
isn't there an octave harmony effect as well? like a blue box or something?

i think you may be referring to the sound that he gets through the recording technique i posted about earlier, i relistened to the Paranoid solo and you cant hear it as good as you can in stuff like Ironman solos, but, it is definitely there, the two guitars playing slightly different from each other
Gear:

Jackson RR-3 Eerie Desert Swirl
Alden Warlord Guitar+Bass
Encore Strat
KTone Alpine White 6/12 Double Neck SG
Digitech RP500
Kustom Amp KGA16R

And A Bunch Of Other Stuff
well maybe the fuzz he has is producing lots of overtones or something.... i sort of hear the double tracking, maybe the two tracks are out of phase...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
Quote by GoDrex
orange stack with a treble booster

Wrong on the amp.

Iommi didn't/doesn't like Orange amps.

But anyway: SG neck pup (either P90 or Humbucker, IMO, it sounds better with the P90)>Rangemaster Treble Booster>Laney Klipp.

You can get close with an AOR or a GH50L or GH100L.

And play it ****ing loud.
Quote by GoDrex

1. That video sounds nothing like the album.
2. Iommi's current sig amp is a Laney GH100TI.
3. Tony Iommi has been using Laney amps since Black Sabbath recorded Black Sabbath in 1970.

'The amplifiers are done by a company in England called Laney's, whom I originally started out with on the first albums we did. They started off much the same way as us 25 years ago. We were like the first ones to use their amps then. We used to use them on tours. I thought it was a good idea to get together with them and re-develop a more up-to-date amplifier of what I know that I need now. Through the years of working with different amps, I knew exactly what I wanted. So, I got together with their technicians and I think we've come up with a really good amplifier. '

http://www.classicbands.com/TonyIommiInterview.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNppqUotW94
the solo on that video is NOTHING like the album solo! the main parts are the same but all the bends and notes are different.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Tackleberry
I read somewhere a ring modulator was used on 1 guitar to get that tone.

I read that too. Think it was a wikipedia article about ring mod
Martin D-15
Gibson LP Std. Faded HB
Fender MIA HWY1 Strat, 3 color SB, RW fretboard
BOSS GT-10
Roland JC-120
Quote by f22master
the solo on that video is NOTHING like the album solo! the main parts are the same but all the bends and notes are different.

Ever heard of improvisation?
yes i have but still. to play it different in the muci vid. and the recording...

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by f22master
yes i have but still. to play it different in the muci vid. and the recording...

That wasn't a music vid, it was a live performance for a TV show. That's why the tone doesn't even sound like Iommi. He used Laneys on the album and on tour, not Oranges.

Look at the vid that I put up, and it's a better performance, IMO.
Quote by GoDrex
orange stack with a treble booster

A naive thing to say from watching one video.
sg with p-90's
treble booster..

heres the secret to the paranoid album"sound"...the tuning is slightly sharp for the entire album,...not quite e#,..but almost..

good luck

long live the king!!...iommi!!
I play it with my octave pedal set where you can really hear the original signal - which is heavy OD'd on the bright side.

You need a polyphonic octave pedal (can do chords well) to get it to sound really fat and almost clear.
It sounds to me like a hell of a lot of gain, bass and fuzz on the left pan, and on the right, no fuzz, few more mids & treble rather than bass and possibly a booster.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Last edited by Yngwi3 at Feb 16, 2009,