Ok, so i've been playing for about 3 months now and have pretty much been putting up with it but my fingers are short and i can barely reach over three frets (from fret 1 to fret 3) Which means i have to move my hand up or down the neck whereas you people with longer fingers don't have to. Any suggestions?
The more you practice (be sure to stretch before and after you play), the more you'll be able to stretch your fingers into wider positions.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Practice. I have stupidly small hands, so I found it hard at first to do some stretches. I slowed down and practiced the motions carefully and figured out what works for me and haven't found something yet I can't play. I'm sure there will be some point where it will kick in but it really is just practice and working at it. I'm pretty sure Alexi Laiho has small hands and he does fine...
your 14 and your hands are too small to reach the strings?... and no alexi's hands are normal sized...i don't think he'd be able to play some of the riffs he does if his hands were small

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
your 14 and your hands are too small to reach the strings?... and no alexi's hands are normal sized...i don't think he'd be able to play some of the riffs he does if his hands were small

You sure? He's pretty short...
Angus Young I believe has small hands, and he's getting along pretty damn good. With more playing, your skin between your fingers will loosen. If you like Holy Wars by Megadeth, I don't think someone with small hands will cover that song too great.
Thrash, Not Trash.

My Guitar Gear:

Godin LG EMG
Line 6 Spider III 120w
Vox Amplug xP
I had the same problem at first.
I thought my hands just weren't cut out for it.
But now I can easily go from 1 to 4 and almost down to 5.
Just practice with hammer ons, that's what I did. And try to incorperate that within your normal playing eventually.
unless half of your fingers were chopped off by a mafioso then you really don't have too short of fingers, just keep practicing.
i like broccoli and long drives at the beach on my segway
Quote by Rockoz
unless half of your fingers were chopped off by a mafioso then you really don't have too short of fingers, just keep practicing.

That happened to me (except for the Mafioso bit), but I just switched from right to left.
That probably wouldn't work in his case though - unless one hand just happens to be shorter than the other :-)

Seriously though - just keep doing stretching exercises.

try fretting on one string - 7 8 9 10
then 7 9 10 11
then 7 8 10 11
then 7 8 9 11
when these are all comfortable to play, move it down one fret towards the headstock.
Keep repeating 'what is comfortable to play' EVERY DAY, and you'll soon get better at stretching.
Right handed guitarist trying to learn to play lefty after a ten year break, and a severe left-hand injury!

Wish me luck ;-)