If you put an album by a band on, then read a book, can you really have considered yourself to have listened to it..?

Cos when I do that, I tend not to pay attention to the music, and it goes in one ear and out the other. Though later, I'll recall riffs and melodies that didn't stand out to me at the time, so obviously it gets into my subconscious aurally....

any thoughts...?
Well, I know definitely that listening to music while playing games works on some level. In fact, anytime I listen to Arctic Monkeys or some Kasabian, I see the game Tales of Symphonia because I was listening to that stuff while playing it several years ago.
i think you have to pay attention to the music if you want to say you have "listened" to it. you just heard it, that doesnt really count.
I have no opinion on this matter.
I end up doing that. I'll put on a cd I'm not familiar with and zone out of it then later in the day be humming a riff and remember its from that album then look for the song.

Also I fell asleep while listening to a Lewis Black CD once and I had a dream where I was watching him preform the CD as if I was there for the show. It was word for word from the CD too.
Quote by I Poke Badgers
Well, I know definitely that listening to music while playing games works on some level. In fact, anytime I listen to Arctic Monkeys or some Kasabian, I see the game Tales of Symphonia because I was listening to that stuff while playing it several years ago.

Yeah...I still associate all the songs off GTA: Vice City with the game...

The worst is when I'm asleep at night and the Devin Townsend Band is playing, just chill, then it clicks over to Strapping Young Lad and I'm like...sitting bolt upright in bed...

I AM THE COMING OF A NEW AGE!

PAST YOUR **** BY FAR!

lol
yeah it counts, and i find that if i listen to that same song later ill remember were i was listening to it and associate that place with the song. and i can't get the place outta my head when i listen to it
I feel like I can rob the artist of their hard work if it is something they did not put their heart and soul into, i.e. a one-hit-wonder song catered to the liking of the general public or a generic pop/punk/metal/rock album.

If the music is something that I know or can tell the artist worked very hard on and would intend for the listener to give the music his/her undivided attention, that's exactly what I will do. I cannot rob an artist or a band of his/her/their hard work and efforts by listening to their music in the background.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Last edited by darkstar2466 at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by darkstar2466
I feel like I can rob the artist of their hard work if it is something they did not put their heart and soul into, i.e. a one-hit-wonder song catered to the liking of the general public or a generic pop/punk/metal/rock album.

If the music is something that I know or can tell the artist worked very hard on and would intend for the listener to give the music his/her undivided attention, that's exactly what I will do. I cannot rob an artist or a band of his/her/their hard work and efforts by listening to their music in the background.

I quite frankly don't feel I owe the creator of a cd I paid for that kind of guilt, if I by some chance don't listen to music the way they do. Oh noes!

And it's pretty subjective as to who "deserves" you to listen to them.
The same artists you describe as "hard-working" are the ones I find pretentious and boring.
Quote by hashishish
I quite frankly don't feel I owe the creator of a cd I paid for that kind of guilt, if I by some chance don't listen to music the way they do. Oh noes!

And it's pretty subjective as to who "deserves" you to listen to them.
The same artists you describe as "hard-working" are the ones I find pretentious and boring.

No one said anything about objective truths. All opinions are subjective.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by I Poke Badgers

Love that ****ing game. Related, I listen to "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" every night while I sleep and I know that song like the back of my hand, so to speak.
Quote by El Gigante
Love that ****ing game. Related, I listen to "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" every night while I sleep and I know that song like the back of my hand, so to speak.

Sorry, I must have not made myself clear; I'm referring to new music, as opposed to listening to the same music you like over and over.
My question is do you absorb new music if it's playing in the background and you're not playing attention, and therefore, just how much do Madina Lake suck?
Maybe I'll eventually remember that I'm listening to the music and at that point it's usually me going "**** this is good" or something.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws