I have a Samsung L200 that I bought for $100 (marked down from $200) at Kohl's on Black Friday. Today I pulled my camera out of my book bag and turned it on to find that the LCD screen doesn't work, only about a quarter of the screen shows anything while the rest is white with some black lines here and there.

I'm sure my younger brother stepped on my book bag, it wouldn't be the first time he's walked on any of my belongings. I know it was an accident, but I'm pissed about it.

I don't have the original sales receipt so Samsung won't do anything about the warranty. They charge $65 plus tax to repair, and then I'd have to pay shipping both ways.

It would suck to pay over $70 to repair my camera and it would suck even more to buy a new one, especially at full price. So here's my question: does anyone know of a way I can get around all of this? No store would allow me to simply return the camera because it doesn't work, they'd either give me store credit or refer me to the manufacturer. That rules out buying a new one and returning it opened with the old camera inside the packaging. I highly doubt my parents will actually make my brother buy me a new camera.
Quote by Eradicated
Pics or it didn't... Oh wait

I lol at this...I'm not sure how I'll use my camera to take a picture of it's own LCD screen....I don't have that many mirrors.

Quote by RU Experienced?
How does he "accidentally" step on a backpack?

That's a big part of the issue...I told my parents I want my brother to pay for it (though he's 15 and doesn't really have money). It's an accident that it broke, not an accident that he didn't care about walking on my book bag.
Quote by Eradicated
Pics or it didn't... Oh wait

haha yes
Quote by mental_zer0

The fear of the clock became too obvious. got expelled.

Quote by jmilli2
Spread rumours that she is a jew. Then all you need to do is sit back and wait for the secret police to make her 'disappear'.

lol?
Quote by dudius
I lol at this...I'm not sure how I'll use my camera to take a picture of it's own LCD screen....I don't have that many mirrors.

That's a big part of the issue...I told my parents I want my brother to pay for it (though he's 15 and doesn't really have money). It's an accident that it broke, not an accident that he didn't care about walking on my book bag.

So essentially if he wasn't a prick and didn't step on your bag there would be no problem. It's his fault and I hope you don't end up paying for his carelessness/ignorance.
If they offer you store credit...can't you get a new one with that?
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Quote by Supertait
If they offer you store credit...can't you get a new one with that?

Here's the thing: I don't have the sales receipt. So there's nothing I can do with the manufacturer or the store I got it from. I could go to a store and try the ol' switcheroo, but having worked at a store I know that it won't work. They'd refer me to the manufacturer, in which case I can't get anything (the serial number on this camera is on the database, showing that it was in fact purchased in November).

Quote by RyanGillam
Unfair to make him pay if you aren't 100% sure...

The thing is, he's the only other one who could have done it. It's not like I walk on my own ****. Would you smash your own guitar if you worked hard to buy it and didn't have money to throw away?
Last edited by dudius at Feb 16, 2009,
You spent a lot of effort typing this, when you could just go work for a few days and get a new camera.
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
Quote by Gibson06
You spent a lot of effort typing this, when you could just go work for a few days and get a new camera.

I forgot to mention, I'm currently without a job. I have a job interview on Tuesday, but if I get the job that means I still would have a few weeks before I'd have money for a new camera.

But I shouldn't pay for my brother's negligence. This isn't the first time one of my siblings have broken something that wasn't theirs, and my parents don't always make them pay for it. My older brother and myself have had to quit allowing our younger brothers to borrow anything because they don't take care of what isn't theirs. They think "If it breaks, oh well. It's not like it's mine, it's not like I paid for it."

The first guitar I ever had was a Fender acoustic. My brothers had a bad habit of bumping my guitar whenever they were in my bedroom. One day one of my brothers bumped the guitar and it fell off the stand. When it hit the floor the neck and body separated at the glue. I was incredibly angry. A few months later I had money to get the guitar repaired, but found that my youngest brother had taken the body of the guitar and smashed it to pieces for the fun of it.

Life isn't fair, but in this case something should be done.
Quote by dudius
Life isn't fair, but in this case something should be done.
why bring this whiny stuff to the pit? this is a family matter. take it up with your parents. if you get no remedy by doing that, you're done. just live with it.

/thread.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
why bring this whiny stuff to the pit? this is a family matter. take it up with your parents. if you get no remedy by doing that, you're done. just live with it.

/thread.

If we didn't get 'this whiny stuff' there wouldn't be any threads in the pit!
Last edited by kilbie at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by kilbie
if we didn't get 'this whiny stuff' there wouldn't be any threads in the pit!
Sadly, my dear, you're right.

Maybe there would still be a few threads, but comparatively a ghost-town.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

/thread.

Well, yeah, I think my parents should do something, but if you read my original post you'd see that I asked if anyone had ideas on getting around this whole thing, if anyone knew how I could get my camera repaired free of charge.
Quote by dudius
Well, yeah, I think my parents should do something, but if you read my original post you'd see that I asked if anyone had ideas on getting around this whole thing, if anyone knew how I could get my camera repaired free of charge.
Then stay on topic, in your own thread.

... and quit whining.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by dudius

dude, your brothers ****ing 15. hes old enough to stop doing that, make him pay for the FULL price of the camera, he broke it, now he pays for it.

Same with your old acoustic, go make him pay the full price for one.
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue