Recently I developed pain in my pinky, thumb (only when playing power chords/barre, maybe because i am pressing too hard/have a bad thumb position) and my side of the left hand. I think it might be tendonitis or carpal tunnel but it only happens when I play too long in a bad position (laying in bed) or not warming up and immediately playing a fast solo. I am resting for the past two days but the pain is only smaller and have not dissapeared.

BTW I use the search bar and found some similar topics but no one adress the specific problem I am having.
I had amnesia, but now I cant remember.

Dream Theater rules!
Last edited by Thrasher_09 at Feb 15, 2009,
Tendonitis. Stretch, warm up, play (not too long), cool down, stretch. You'll build muscle with time, as long as you take it easy and don't injure your tendons. I learned that the hard way.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
is your thumb positioned near the center of the fretboard, it helps with movement and decreases stress to the hands. If it is from to much pressure but you need it get jumbo frets put on.
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
Quote by food1010
Tendonitis. Stretch, warm up, play (not too long), cool down, stretch. You'll build muscle with time, as long as you take it easy and don't injure your tendons. I learned that the hard way.

When I stretched and warm up I didnt had the problem(I had the problem some time ago but when I started stretching and warming up it stopped) but recently I am neither stretching or warming up.

Dream Theater rules!
Quote by Steven E
is your thumb positioned near the center of the fretboard, it helps with movement and decreases stress to the hands. If it is from to much pressure but you need it get jumbo frets put on.

I position my thumb in the center of the fretboard(and i apply too much pressure and it hurts) when playing chords but when I am playing solos I position it behind my first finger. That causes me a lot of pain, not only in my thumb but in my whole hand

Dream Theater rules!
It all started in 91. I had a pain in my wrist. Doc say I probably fell and hurt it; that it would go away. It did. In 94-95 it got way worse. Then It got to the point where I couldnt play the guitar unless I physically moved my wrist into position. (fret hand) Then in 99, I woke up and couldnt feel my hand except for one joint on one finger and one joint on another. I couldnt cut my nails, hold a cup or a cigarette with my left hand. Doc say, carpal tunnel; quit whatever your doing for awhile. So I did for 2 and half years. In late June or very early July 2001, I picked up a guitar.

For the whole 2 and a half years I drew chords and fretboards and all that other stuff, finger exercises and who knows what else. But when I picked it back up, I played differently but still my skills were just as good as the day I stopped playing.

I was trying to be Satriani or Vai and Y.J.M. I was running all these arpeggios and 2000 notes a second runs. Thats what I attribute it to. So now I dont do those things and I havent had a problem but one time since. I was playing the bass alot so....

Anyway, try to change the way you play. Find a different way to play the same thing. If you play your guitar low, bring it up. If you play alot of the technical stuff where you have to have your wrist or hand in an uncomfortable position for long periods, Id say find another position to play in or something. There are things I wished I would have done but didnt do until it was too late.
Quote by Thrasher_09
When I stretched and warm up I didnt had the problem(I had the problem some time ago but when I started stretching and warming up it stopped) but recently I am neither stretching or warming up.

There you go then. Stretch and warm up - you already know it works. wth did you stop for?