So I bought a mustang bass, 06 reiisue. I love the feel, and the sound isnt bad, but I feel its lacking, and I want a new pickup, does anyone know where I can get compatible pickups that are really good?
I think seymour duncan makes a QP for the mustang.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
heres a pic
the mustang can get a nice low tone, but lacks the rich backing of most jazz and precision basses, and I love that sound, but I love the short scale so I dont want to switch basses.
Im pretty satisfied though, but if I could have that extra kick, Id be so happy
Attachments:
mustang09.jpg
I too have a Mustang bass. The only thing you can do with what you have is to adjust the pickup height to bring it a little closer to the strings. The replacement pickup made by Seymor Duncan IS already on your bass--it is the same one that comes stock with the bass!

There are no other real replacements that sound beefier or ballsier--you get what you get, but that is the characteristic Mustang sound. You may want to try adding a Versi-Tone circuit or a Stellartone circuit to give you more options (replace the tone knob with these).

Another option is to just bite the bullet and get a pickup you like and rout the cavity in the bass to accomodate the new pickup. For this, you need skills. I may plop in a Fred Hammon Dark Star pickup someday, when I can afford do to so. They are the most aggressive toned vintage pickups you'll ever come across, and they sound SOOOOO good. Check them out!

Good luck!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
Maybe it's your amp?
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Could you post an example of the sound you have now, and also some sort of reference for the sound you want?
i love that mustang. nice buy.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I have the exact Mustang model you have (white w/tortosie shell pick guard)

That's just the Mustang sound, it's great for mellow stuff, or 60's style power pop and such, but for a ballsy bass tone, you need to look somewhere else...that's why I ended up getting a P style bass as well, which along with my peavey milestone (J style pu's) mean I can cover a lot of sonic ground. It's a flawed bass, unpopular due to its scale, but a unique sounding and beautiful one, but maybe its not the sound for you???
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I <3 Mustang basses like no other, and for owning one i forever dub you my friend. I would suggest re-routing it if you really want a new pickup, but I would recommend trying out new amps and eq settings first for a more pronounced sound