Galaxy has 'billions of Earths'

There could be one hundred billion Earth-like planets in our galaxy, a US conference has heard.

Dr Alan Boss of the Carnegie Institution of Science said many of these worlds could be inhabited by simple lifeforms.

He was speaking at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Chicago.

So far, telescopes have been able to detect just over 300 planets outside our Solar System.

Very few of these would be capable of supporting life, however. Most are gas giants like our Jupiter; and many orbit so close to their parent stars that any microbes would have to survive roasting temperatures.

But, based on the limited numbers of planets found so far, Dr Boss has estimated that each Sun-like star has on average one "Earth-like" planet.

This simple calculation means there would be huge numbers capable of supporting life.

"Not only are they probably habitable but they probably are also going to be inhabited," Dr Boss told BBC News. "But I think that most likely the nearby 'Earths' are going to be inhabited with things which are perhaps more common to what Earth was like three or four billion years ago." That means bacterial lifeforms.

Dr Boss estimates that Nasa's Kepler mission, due for launch in March, should begin finding some of these Earth-like planets within the next few years.

Recent work at Edinburgh University tried to quantify how many intelligent civilisations might be out there. The research suggested there could be thousands of them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7891132.stm

Opinions?
Do you think there's life in other planets?
"There's Jimmy Page, the greatest thief of American black music who ever walked the earth."
-Homer Simpson
Nope, God only created humans on Earth.

That's it.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Mathematically, there is a far smaller chance there IS NOT life on other planets then there is. So yes, i do.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by Just Andrew

That's it.

Wait. I forgot about God.

I change the short and easy answer to probably not.

I'm off to pray the rosary and repent for my sins. Hopefully I'll never forget God again.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
It's highly likely that there are other inhabited planets in our galaxy (and even more likely that there are some in one of the other galaxies int he known universe)
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Bushinarin
Wait. I forgot about God.

I change the short and easy answer to probably not.

I'm off to pray the rosary and repent for my sins. Hopefully I'll never forget God again.
Tolling gets less fun when you don't rage
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I don't see why not. It's very improbable for life to begin on a planet but with so many planets with potential, it could very well happen.
Quote by Just Andrew
Tolling gets less fun when you don't rage

Reverse trolling is most fun when I win.

Unless you're reverse reverse trolling me, expecting me to declare victory... when you're still trolling.

I'll take that chance.

Click me, or I'll die.

I don't want to start a debate about beliefs here ... but I think that God has nothing to do with that. Maybe he did only created life on Earth ( as you may think ... ) but we're talking about life, not necessarily human beings. Knowing that our own existance is basically based on water and oxygen, we could say that everywhere that there is water and oxygen, there could be life.
Hello, Mirror - so glad to see you my friend, it's been a while

Help me - I can't break out this prison all alone
Save me - I'm drowning and I'm hopeless on my own
Heal me - I can't restore my sanity alone
Quote by Just Andrew

That's it.

Man, you've got to be kidding me. God is a lie.

If you're stupid enough to believe God is real, look around you. Theres evidence everywhere to disprove the existence of ANY higher being.

And honestly, do you really think that out of hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy, not to mention about a hundred billion other galaxies, most of which are much larger than our own, humans would be the only sentient life-forms? Ha. That's about a 10000000000000000000000000000 to 1 chance.

It's sad to see so many people deluded by the illusion of religion...
Quote by wolfeman85

If you're stupid enough to believe God is real, look around you. Theres evidence everywhere to disprove the existence of ANY higher being.

And honestly, do you really think that out of hundreds of billions of stars in our galaxy, not to mention about a hundred billion other galaxies, most of which are much larger than our own, humans would be the only sentient life-forms? Ha. That's about a 10000000000000000000000000000 to 1 chance.

I see where this is going, and I humbly direct you to the religion thread.

Seriously, there's no place for religion in this thread.
Quote by XDream_TheaterX
I don't want to start a debate about beliefs here ... but I think that God has nothing to do with that. Maybe he did only created life on Earth ( as you may think ... ) but we're talking about life, not necessarily human beings. Knowing that our own existance is basically based on water and oxygen, we could say that everywhere that there is water and oxygen, there could be life.

God created everything. It says so in the Bible.

Even if there is life on other planets, humans would still be superior since we were created in God's image.

This is kind of like how men are superior to women since God is a man.

Quote by wolfeman85

Okay then "Mr. Logic". Prove to me that there is no higher power.

Click me, or I'll die.

Last edited by Bushinarin at Feb 16, 2009,
Life has really only been defined to existence on earth. In other words, I think in order to say life exists on other planets, one has to know what exactly life is, and there is too much semantic debate I think over what life really is.
Quote by wolfeman85

Reported because I ficking hate stupid people.

Quote by Bushinarin

Even if there is life on other planets, humans would still be superior since we were created in God's image.

Well ancient greek tablets tell me that life was created by Kronos from clay....
Quote by SeveralSpecies
I see where this is going, and I humbly direct you to the religion thread.

Seriously, there's no place for religion in this thread.

He's the one who started it, and I'm the one who ended it. Don't get mad at me just because I'm trying to instill logic into some people.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well ancient greek tablets tell me that life was created by Kronos from clay....

They were wrong.

Read the Bible.

Quote by The Madcap
Am I the only one who thinks there's a ton of trolling in this thread?

Did it tip you off when me and that other fellow admitted it?

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by zekk
Reported because I ficking hate stupid people.

Report me if it pleases you then...but I'm not meaning to offend anyone, just to show some people the truth...
Quote by wolfeman85
He's the one who started it, and I'm the one who ended it. Don't get mad at me just because I'm trying to instill logic into some people.

Your logic is just as bad as him. You can't disprove a negative. Sure they can't prove that one exists, but you can't prove that one definitely doesn't.

Like I said. Religion thread.

Quote by Bushinarin
They were wrong.

Read the Bible.

Did it tip you off when me and that other fellow admitted it?

The bible was wrong. Read ancient greek tablets.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
The bible was wrong. Read ancient greek tablets.

Nope sorry. Logical fallacies don't apply to me.

Because I read the Bible.

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by wolfeman85

No your not. Religion is an argument you CANNOT win. You simply can't. There's to much to take into account. And you've still yet to make an intelligent backing statement, so until you do shut the hell up and stop actually pseudo-intellectual.

And if you don't want people to get mad at you, don't make inflammatory statements. I'm an atheist and I probably would of clocked you for what you posted if you'd said it to one of my many very religious friends.

PS: He was trolling you dumbshit...

Quote by Bushinarin
Nope sorry. Logical fallacies don't apply to me.

Because I read the Bible.

Oh you.
Quote by The Madcap
Life has really only been defined to existence on earth. In other words, I think in order to say life exists on other planets, one has to know what exactly life is, and there is too much semantic debate I think over what life really is.

exactly. who's to say what intelligent life really is? what if there is intelligence on EVERY planet, but because we are sensual creatures, we know not of their existence? and AT THIS MOMENT, they are laughing at ALL OF US.

also, when you complain of trolling, it's almost as if you're trolling yourself
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Oh you.

Sorry, every now and again I have to troll. Some people desire food and sex. I just desire trolling.

However at the risk of me getting warned and/or this thread being closed I think I'm going to stop.

Click me, or I'll die.

Quote by Bushinarin
Sorry, every now and again I have to troll. Some people desire food and sex. I just desire trolling.

However at the risk of me getting warned and/or this thread being closed I think I'm going to stop.

I didn't realize you were trolling at first, than I read the bit about being superior to women
Quote by Bushinarin

Okay then "Mr. Logic". Prove to me that there is no higher power.

Troll.

W00t for the shout-out to Kepler! I'll be doing Mission Ops for it!
Looking for my India/Django.