those foam wedge things they sell at music stores work ok, and they are fairly cheap, foam egg crates also work surprisingly well.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Depends what you want to treat it for.

If it's a live room you tend to WANT natural reverberations. Your talking about getting rid of room ambience?.. which is what you want in a control room (not the room with your kit in).
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I'll tell ya man, stuff like egg cartons/ curtains/ blankets will achieve sweet fcuk all.
all that'll do is **** up the high-end, you'll still have room-modes and resonance, and bass buildup in the corners.

what you need is Density, make some bass traps from high density fibreglass or rockwool
like in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyYUpkpL0gw

it'll cost a bit, but its the only thing that'll be truely effective. trust me, i've been down the "blankets and egg cartons" road before, total waste of time and resources.
Quote by TheDriller
I'll tell ya man, stuff like egg cartons/ curtains/ blankets will achieve sweet fcuk all.
all that'll do is **** up the high-end, you'll still have room-modes and resonance, and bass buildup in the corners.

what you need is Density, make some bass traps from high density fibreglass or rockwool
like in this video.

it'll cost a bit, but its the only thing that'll be truely effective. trust me, i've been down the "blankets and egg cartons" road before, total waste of time and resources.

curtains and egg crates have gotten me some pretty good results, I do agree what bass traps are also helpful as well. But using blankets and whatnot can be very effective if you know what you're doing.

Last.fm
Hold on, is this for a recording room or just a drum practice room?

the thing about blankets and such is they have no real density to speak of, there's nothing there to interupt the sound waves. try listening to your stereo/soundsystem and then putting a blanket over your head, virtually no meaningful effect. the sound coming off a drum kit will punch straight through a blanket and carry on as normal, bouncing around the room and resonating like it usually does.
Quote by TheDriller
Hold on, is this for a recording room or just a drum practice room?

the thing about blankets and such is they have no real density to speak of, there's nothing there to interupt the sound waves. try listening to your stereo/soundsystem and then putting a blanket over your head, virtually no meaningful effect. the sound coming off a drum kit will punch straight through a blanket and carry on as normal, bouncing around the room and resonating like it usually does.

professional studios use baffles, which are essentially really heavy blankets, for isolation all the time. It depends on what type of material you are using. and the egg crates rtely on shape and not mass in order to deflect reverberations in a way that neutralizes the rooms, the mass isn't moportant in that cases as long as they are directly mounted on the walls.

Last.fm
Quote by TheDriller

like in this video.

i think you read my mind before posting!
but yeah this is true. also perhaps adding something to one wall to set it at an angle so all your walls arent parallel can make a big difference as well.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
professional studios use baffles, which are essentially really heavy blankets, for isolation all the time. It depends on what type of material you are using. and the egg crates rtely on shape and not mass in order to deflect reverberations in a way that neutralizes the rooms, the mass isn't moportant in that cases as long as they are directly mounted on the walls.

Ah yes, Baffles, really heavy blankets. so heavy in fact, that they dont resemble blankets at all. i'm well versed in what pro studios use for room treatment, and trust me, it aint blankets.

thats what i'm saying, proper baffles are dense, blankets aren't, and which one did you say gets used in the pro studios?

blankets and egg boxes will, at most, deaden out the high-end. there is still the matter of room-modes and various resonances to deal with. so a tonne of bass buildup, coupled with a dead high-end.... i'm guessing the room wont sound too good.

this is all kinda pointless as i'm guessing the Original Poster doesn't have much money to spend.
Egg crates do sweet F-all for soundproofing, but I don't see why they wouldn't work for controlling reflections if you have a very live room that you want to deaden somewhat.

A friend of mine built his own absorptive panels with some fabric, some 2x4's, and some insulation. Might have been rockwool or something.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by TheDriller
Ah yes, Baffles, really heavy blankets. so heavy in fact, that they dont resemble blankets at all. i'm well versed in what pro studios use for room treatment, and trust me, it aint blankets.

thats what i'm saying, proper baffles are dense, blankets aren't, and which one did you say gets used in the pro studios?

I actually have some curtains that are just as heavy as the set of baffles that I own... I know that blankets aren't going to be as good, but saying that this stuff is almost useless is pretty inaccurate, as I've used a lot of ghetto methods of sound reinforcement and gotten some very good results.

Last.fm
I think its important that we get an answer from the OP about wheter this is for a recording/mixing room or just a drum practice room, as that'll determine if this is useful or not.

I've no doubt you have gotten some sort of results, but i think if we're talking about a mixing room, there is going to be a huge difference between:

"wow, that really cleaned up the low-end, now i can finally do some good mixes in here"
and
"hmmm, well... id did *something* anyway"
Everyone listen to TheDriller. He's one of the 3 people I'm comfortable taking advice from.

Weather thats just because they're right or because they think the same as me is another thing entirely..

Though being right and thinking what I think tends to be one in the same.

edit: conformable? wtf...
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Last edited by willieturnip at Feb 16, 2009,
I'l take that as a compliment.
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
just to make things clear its the room my drums are in...not a control type room

also thanks for the advice from everyone

it seems as if the whole theory behind blankets and whatnot is a bunch of bs unless they are some kid of extremely dense blanket used to suffocate people or something...

should i just attempt to make bass traps? seems logical
dude dont by special foam for this ****. thats all a gimmick, regular **** can do the same things if you need it to. i rip **** from trash and like scaps from construction sites and **** all tha time.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by TheDriller

I've no doubt you have gotten some sort of results, but i think if we're talking about a mixing room, there is going to be a huge difference between:

"wow, that really cleaned up the low-end, now i can finally do some good mixes in here"
and
"hmmm, well... id did *something* anyway"

I can get good sounding mixes in a closet with no acoustic dampening, and I've gotten great recordings in rooms in rooms with super ghetto sound treatment....

Last.fm
Quote by pmcg35
just to make things clear its the room my drums are in...not a control type room

also thanks for the advice from everyone

it seems as if the whole theory behind blankets and whatnot is a bunch of bs unless they are some kid of extremely dense blanket used to suffocate people or something...

should i just attempt to make bass traps? seems logical

Cool, it depends really on how bad things are in there and wheather it'll be worth it if its just a practice room. for the parallel wall, find a big sheet of chip-board (or whatever), lean it up against the wall and kick out the lower part from the wall a bit, creating an upward slope. there's your "parallel" sorted.

you could also try placing a bookcase (or whatever) across a corner of the room, like where a bass trap would be positioned. wont really affect the bass buildup but it "un-parallel"s another part of the room.

if that doesn't help, then bass traps maybe.
though to be honest, if it was me, if i wasn't recording in there i probably wouldn't bother unless it was a very serious problem.

also, bass traps are usually made from RockWool (i think there is another similar material mentioned in that video i linked to). this is a bit different from some of the regular cheap insulation stuff. the cheaper stuff might be ok, but you'd need to check the density and absorption co-efficients to make sure.

actually, i'm a little un-certain on that last bit. i'll check it up and post back.