okay, you may remember me from the invaders or dimebuckers thread. well i have smartened up and decided on some better pickups for what im looking for and have ordered a duncan sh-14 custom 5 bridge and a duncan 59 neck. i play classic rock, 80s metal thrash and glam, and i want to get into some blues. i like pinch harmonics, and my ultimate tone is like the brown sound mixed with gary moore's live rock tone. do you think i have made the right descision and if u have used either of these pickups could you plz give ur opinion.

thanks,

dpounder
Epi Les Paul with SD's
VK112
Hardwire OD

Quote by PuppetMaster91
As a relative new-comer to the guitar world I'd just like to point out how much more interesting this thread sounded when I thought a 'Metal Muff' was some sort of chastity belt...

Quote by tymanic
Whats a gibson?
It's something of an unorthodox thread as we can't really give you any advice now that you've ordered your pickups, but I'd suggest you've made a good choice here.
Classic/glam rock and metal are quite different so you'd probably be best off using different guitars for each, but to achieve your so called "ultimate tone" you'd better stay towards the lower output end of the spectrum as both players used PAF style pickups (albeit overwound in Eddie's case). The custom 5 should do the overwound PAF thing nicely; it's overwound enough to be hot, but substituting the PAF style AlNiCo II or IV magnets for AlNiCo V prevents the bass from becoming loose and poorly defined. The '59 is a more traditional style PAF than the C5, and it should match brilliantly; switching to the neck pickup and rolling off a little bit of treble from your amp to remove some of the bite should give you a good approximation of Gary's Parrisiene Walkways tone (if you want this tone, soak it in reverb ). Finally, the harmonic response of the Custom 5 should be pretty good; I'm told by CorduroyEW that harmonic response is determiined by a mixture of magnet type and how hot the wind is; the AlNiCo V has okay harmonic response, being a conductive magnet, so the wind of the C5 should get you the harmonics you're after. Oh, and those pickups are great for the blues too, don't worry about that.

Hope that was a good insight. I've rambled on a little bit there >.>
thank you, thats what im looking for.
Epi Les Paul with SD's
VK112
Hardwire OD

Quote by PuppetMaster91
As a relative new-comer to the guitar world I'd just like to point out how much more interesting this thread sounded when I thought a 'Metal Muff' was some sort of chastity belt...

Quote by tymanic
Whats a gibson?