Page 1 of 2
thats pretty much my question can a band go without a bass. can a guitar sub in for bass if its possible :/ my band has 3 guitarists, drums, keyboard :]
Anything is possible.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Guitar CANNOT SUB FOR BASS, CHRIST USE THE SEARCHBAR.

A keyboard can, if your keyboardist can play bass lines with one hand and melody with the other.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Last edited by solid_moose at Feb 16, 2009,
Depends what kind of music your playing. If playing metal and heavy stuff, Bass can be pretty important but in other styles it might not be as important.

Keyboards can be bass too
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
The Doors.

/thread.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Not really, but as for bands without bass: Pig Destroyer.
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Do you really NEED 3 guitarists?

Just make one play bass.

If not, keyboards can play the bass.
just so you know i never say this but

SEARCHBAR

anyway your only other way would be to buy something like a whammy pedal as that lower your guitar an octave but if you dont have one they are the same price as a cheap bass so the choice should be fairly obvious
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grK43Poye1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyHaT5ZdG3U

I could go on.

You don't need a bass guitar, but it's best to have a bass line in your songs and it's best if it's played by a bass guitar. You don't even need a guitar in your band, a piano can substitute for a guitar wonderfully. A piano can sub for a guitar and bass if your pianist is good enough.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I used to have a Boss octave pedal that did a good (not great) job of imitating bass. But yeah, if you have 3 guitars, why not just switch off playing bass? I've always loved bands that switch instruments, like Sloan.
You need something that plays in the bass register. There can be no real dispute about this - the White Stripes get away with it by being quirky and with Jack White being very good at what he does.

That thing can be keyboard left hand (although that's going to limit what they do with their right hand somewhat unless they're really, really good), bass, cello, synth...but a bass guitar tends to come out with the best results, because it's someone's entire focus (no right hand part to deal with) and has the tone and range most traditionally suited to working with guitars.

I really hope you've got a singer as well, because the odds of a band sounding anything like good with no vocals and no bass are so low that they could almost fill out the bass register themselves.
Quote by ramm_ty
Anything is possible.

this guy has knowledge, the Keyboard could do it, possibly a SEVERLEY downtuned guitar so it sounds deeper, or you could go with out bass style stuff, I really don't think you should ask around for what you should do, do what you want
It depends on what you do.

Most people would be unable to pull it off and make it sound good and have style about it.

However with creative songwriting and sound design methods it's perfectly doable.

However if you fit into that rock band kind of image and play a basically regular kind of music than bass is pretty important. If you feel like being experimental with it... :P

EDIT: Also the Doors used bass guitar to record in the studio, and they were looking into getting a live bassist around the time Jim went to Paris and kicked the bucket. FYI.
Last edited by Wonthefu at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by Sleaze Disease
The Doors.

/thread.

The Doors have bass in every song.

Anyway, its possible, but it'll probably sound like shit... especially with three guitar players on top of each other and nothing to hold down underneath, spells disaster.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
The Doors have bass in every song.

Anyway, its possible, but it'll probably sound like shit... especially with three guitar players on top of each other and nothing to hold down underneath, spells disaster.

I always thought the keyboard was doing the low notes.
Listen to Metallica's And Justice for All album. There's no bass at all.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
The Doors

they had no bassist.

the keyboard played the bass notes...

except on studio albums.. in which they hired a studio musician.
Quote by King Twili
It's just me and Doris here ;_;

Quote by Zaphikh
Poops is the chat MC - but here we know him as Early Cuyler.

Free Downloads, Yo!
Regardless of whether or not they had a bass player (like they did in the studio) or Ray played it on the keyboard (live), there was bass in the music, thats pretty much the point I was trying to make, bass is necessary always... how you get the sound is up to you.
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
Ray played bass on a bass keyboard live
Doors had Bass on all thier studio albums
Don't use them as an argument.

You can run a second guitar through a bass amplifier and turn up the low end, It works ok. But I recommend a bass player.
"Anything a bassist can do, a keyboardist can do with his left hand"

So yes, if you want it to work.
***Short Sig***
I'd say you can pull it off if you had just one or 2 guitars in the band, like the White Stripes or Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. But if you have 3 guitars, you're gonna have 3 guys fighting for frequencies in the same spectrum, but a big gaping nothing in the lower frequencies. Unless you're extremely talented in arranging, I don't see it working.
Easiest solution would be for one guitarist to get an octave pedal. Now that's an easy solution isn't it?
Quote by ASITHOS
Easiest solution would be for one guitarist to get an octave pedal. Now that's an easy solution isn't it?

And a bass amp.

A guitar amp will NOT do bass the same way a bass amp will.

In fact as long as there's some low end of some kind it doesn't even matter if the note range never goes below the low E on a guitar... it's about the tone.

Besides, with a keyboardist in the mix they should be be able to fill in some bass there... but seriously, does the 3rd guitar HAVE to play guitar all the time? You should try and have one of you switch off for a few songs or for parts of some songs... It also open up more creative options, because you can have a wider variety of sounds per song.

And if you throw a looper pedal or two into the mix then you can get REALLY nutso!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfcIGeNY_Gk

EDIT: Although all things considered, getting a bassist is definitely recommended. It open up avenues, it really does, even if it's just root notes(which I'm not saying it SHOULD be!)
Last edited by Wonthefu at Feb 17, 2009,

DISEASE!
DISEASE!

yeah iron lung don't have a bass player
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
You don't need to do anything. If you don't want a bass player, find a creative way to fill the gap that will be left.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Ever heard the song "And Justice For All" by Metallica? I'm pretty sure that the volume on the bass is 1, and that is one of their greatest ever songs, so yes, it is possible homie.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
If I was you i'd have one of the guitarists playing bass.

But yeah it's possible. The doors used keyboard as bass. And theres tons of small indie bands and stuff that just don't have bass at all. I suppose it depends what kind of sound you're aiming for, if you think it sounds okay, go for it!
I play guitar and sing in a duet with my (drummer, sort of) brother. I use octave pedals to get bass when I'm doing single string stuff, and I use a very bass heavy tone. Also, more than half of my songs are clean electric, which reduces the need for bass because it doesn't have the insane compression you get from distortion.
[quote="'[= Tom ="]']"Anything a bassist can do, a keyboardist can do with his left hand"

So yes, if you want it to work.
I'd like to see a keyboardist slap.
Quote by pengiunman
Ever heard the song "And Justice For All" by Metallica? I'm pretty sure that the volume on the bass is 1, and that is one of their greatest ever songs, so yes, it is possible homie.

whether its a good song or not the mixing on that album is still wank. Just get one of your guitarists to play bass, sure they'll have to get the gear but its just going to sound like a mess otherwise.
Ok. If you play the guitar, you can play the bass. You just have to work on right hand technique like slap.
possible an octaver can achive what a bassist could?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by dude9521
Ok. If you play the guitar, you can play the bass. You just have to work on right hand technique like slap.

1) Yes, but only fairly basic stuff.
2) No, you don't need to work on slap. You can if you want to utilize it in your music, but it's not essential. Right-hand technique is very important though.

Bass is NOT just an over-sized guitar.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Guitar an octave down is technically the same pitches but I'd imagine the soundwaves produced by a bass are quite different thus sounding different.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by pengiunman

Bad example. It's almost universal that the music there is absolutely classic, but the production is bad.
Page 1 of 2