Last time i attempted this about 6 months ago it got way to complicated. I was trying to cram way to much stuff into one pedal.

The point of the original build was to make the most versatile drive/dist pedal possible. Lots of features while trying to keep it simple.
Perameters:

1. Three switchable overdrive modes.
-A very low gain, almost clean sounding, British voiced, overdrive.
-A fuzz.
-A higher gain, British voiced overdrive.

2. Cheap.
-Cheaper than if i had bought everything as separate pedals.

Ideas:
Adding in a few bands of EQ
Adding in a compressor circuit.

Anymore ideas/suggestions? THink its a crap idea?

Feel free to send me schems.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Feb 16, 2009,
is there an advantage to having them all in one stompbox
███████████████████████████████████
Quote by halvies
add a boost in there as well

EDIT:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album14/Z+VEX+SHO+LAYOUTS.GIF.html

also, good to hear your still around

Thanks.

I would add a boost but my amp is Solid State so i wouldn't ever use a boost. I'll keep it in mind for a future build though, thanks.

Quote by tona_107
is there an advantage to having them all in one stompbox

Not really. I just like big pedals. I like versatility. I hate lots of cables.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Feb 17, 2009,
DO add a boost.

Have 3 circuits, that can cascade into each other

boost-> boost-> high gain od/dist

This would allow you to vary the level of gain immensely while keeping it somewhat simple.

Dialing in different levels would give you different types of gain also (say cranking the first boost and setting the 2nd boost lower).

The boost won't sound any worse than any other od pedal into your solid state.

Edit:
Boost Circuit
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Last edited by wiliscool at Feb 17, 2009,
You could do like Biyang did with their X-Drive pedal; allow easy access to the IC so that you can swap it out for differents ones.
404: Sig not found.
Vairable feedback looper thingy. Dooo eeeet. Totally passive and all you need is 1 pot.

It feeds part of the output signal back into the input, allowing you to get higher-than-normal gain.
Quote by Invader Jim
Vairable feedback looper thingy. Dooo eeeet. Totally passive and all you need is 1 pot.

It feeds part of the output signal back into the input, allowing you to get higher-than-normal gain.

THIS^^^^^^^^
Quote by handbanana
Quote by Invader Jim

do you have plans for this? i want one lol
Quote by JesusLives
Yeah, but it's supposed to look funny. You don't want your guitar looking funny. Unless it's a squier, then you don't have a choice.
Me too^
Quote by handbanana
i feel like what kinda circuits you are going to put into this depends on if you are going have them selectable by toggle, or if they are cascaded. if they are cascaded, i would definatly put in a boost. so you would have boost->od->fuzz. if selectable by toggle, thats where i would have 2 different overdrives. i would do the cascaded myself, as it gives you the most options.

the other idea is to do a combination of the two. cascade a boost (or light od) into a second circuit that can be selected as either an od or fuzz. this would allow you cascade one into the other, but you could only have 2 on at once. i feel like this would be cheaper in parts as well.

the other option i might suggest is to put an effects loop type of thing between the two circuits if you do the cascade/selectable way. that way you could put a wah in there (or anything else).
Quote by Invader Jim

That will not increase the gain much, it will oscillate a ton though.
Quote by Beavisaudio.com
True Bypass Loop with LED Indicator and a Feedback Mixer

This is another variation on the loop circuit. This one uses a potentiometer to act as a passive mixer to send signal from the output back into the input. The feedback mixer is great for making fuzz or dirt boxes oscillator or generate larger than normal amounts of gain. You can also use it with modulation effects like chorus, delay and phasing to get some very neato sounds. The circuit simply taps off of the output to a SPDT switch (you could use a SPST switch also), routes the signal through the potentiometer, and then back to the input through the Send jack.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/index.htm

All I know is what I read.
Quote by wiliscool
DO add a boost.

Have 3 circuits, that can cascade into each other

boost-> boost-> high gain od/dist

This would allow you to vary the level of gain immensely while keeping it somewhat simple.

Dialing in different levels would give you different types of gain also (say cranking the first boost and setting the 2nd boost lower).

The boost won't sound any worse than any other od pedal into your solid state.

Edit:
Boost Circuit

That would make it very noisy and also drive the OD to mud. It should be OD -> boost if the boost is really required, often ODs are loud enough on their own

Quote by Invader Jim

Kurt's right all it will do is cause crazy oscillation and maybe add a wee bit more gain. Not useful at all unless youre into mad noisemaking
Quote by Entrant_21
That would make it very noisy and also drive the OD to mud. It should be OD -> boost if the boost is really required, often ODs are loud enough on their own

Wrong.
Put something like a LPB-1 in front of ANY overdrive or distortion and it just completely opens it up. It makes the sound much clearer.

Now if you put 2 ODs into each other you will have mud, but a clean boost into an OD? No mud.
Quote by handbanana
Depends on the quality of the OD.

I hope you actualy decide to build something Final !mpact, whatever the specs.
Quote by handbanana
My vote goes to this:
-not sure for your low-gain setting
-Fuzz: use a fuzz face circuit
-British gain: MI Audio crunchbox clone sorta thing.

Have all three share a Level control, maybe. Itll save room.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
I built the DoubleD from runoffgroove. On the the OD side or jiggle channel I added a single knob bass/treb tone control and the option of 2 different clipping circuits or none to augment the OD. And added the saturation control from AMZ to it. 1 clipping circuit is LEDs and the other is germanium diodes. It can give a little or alot of clipping depending on the gain knob and the saturation control. I soldered 3 germanium diodes in series for forward and reverse to keep the level consistant with the LED volume. They are socketed to be able to change em easy. A rotary switch could give more clipping options.