Hi guys.

My friend recently bought an SG menace after having a Fender standard Strat. He wanted to go for the SG because he felt the strat didn't suit the kind of music he played (hardcore, punk, etc.) So bought the more heavy sounding SG.

He plays through a medium sized marshall combo, he uses the bridge pickup only on the SG.

The trouble is he says the SG sounds too dirty, not as clear as the fender, and his fender just seems to sound better all round.

I reccomend he bought some seymour duncan pickups (maybe save money and just buy a bridge pickup as he doesen't currently use the neck pickup) to make the sound clearer, and fit some new strings too. Alternatively he could after a while buy a newer fender, perhaps a custom Tele as it would have humbuckers, but retain the clarity he wants.

could you guys help? What should he do?

Thanks in advance!
Which Marshall combo does he have exactly?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
^
I see where this is going ...

The 'clarity problem' might also be due to the difference between single coil and humbucker.
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Feb 16, 2009,
Do I smell another "Ditch the MG" thread?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Oh no.

Here we go...
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Once upon a time it was said that Gibson SG's had the dirtiest sound of any decent guitar. That's why a lot of famous players love them. Tell your friend to use the selector switch and play some blues in order to appreciate the richness.
But an SG will never sound like a Strat or a Tele. And vice versa. The cleanest you can get out of an SG is the sort of sound Townshend or Beck got. I think both used top boosts.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I told my mate he should perhaps get another fender as they seem to suit him. He says he likes the feel of fenders and i reccomended this as a compromise.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/40993/

It looks a beut, and has humbuckers but they be changed to single coils.

what do you think?
If he likes fender go with a 72 delux tele (I thnk thats right...)

But you still havn't said what the marshall was
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by sabre242
Mg100dfx

And a little part of me dies inside......

I knew it! Whenever I hear the words "muddiness" and "Marshall" together the MG is always the culprit.The problem most likely isn't the guitar,but the amp in this case.If your friend has tried EQing with no results then maybe a new amp is in order.If not,you can always recommend he get a nice EQ Pedal like a MXR 6 or 10 band to help dial some of the crap out of the amps tone.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

So should he get the telecaster or not? The menace isnt a great guitar to be honest, it's just been taken out of production whereas the telecaster is a sure winner in my eyes.
Quote by sabre242
So should he get the telecaster or not? The menace isnt a great guitar to be honest, it's just been taken out of production whereas the telecaster is a sure winner in my eyes.

NO. Haven't you read anything here? He needs a new amp to appreciate the guitars fully.

Please, tell him this. He doesn't need a guitar. He needs a half-decent tube amp.
Backing off the volume a little should clear up the sound nicely, and take away some of the typical SG brashness.

At the end of the day though, the MG is going to make anything sound poor.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by sabre242

since when does a guitar being discontinued mean its bad? and no, he shouldnt get the tele, he should get an all tube amp. MG's are complete crap.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I disagree slightly with the all-tube statement; tubes aren't an automatic promise of quality or tone, and indeed there are perfectly good solid state amps to be had.
But at the same time, the point remains. His problem is his amp not his guitar.