Was thinking, i want to put a killswitch on my guitar, because i want to turn my crappy strat into a guitar that looks likes tom morello's soul power, and that one has a killswitch so....
Now, the thing is, if i want to put the killswitch on the lower horn, i might need to rout a bit and make a hole in the pickguard, but wy not replace it with the volume knob?
I only use the knob to crank up the volume to 10 or all the way down to 0, same thing as a killswitch actually, would this be a good idea?
Thanks.
Quote by uvq
No, I dont know.

why bother posting mate.

now seriously, that is a very possible idea, instead on a volume pot in the circuit you would replace it with the killswitch. the only problem i can see is that it might be hard to get a switch to fit in the hole left by the volume knob.
Quote by samlocke14
why bother posting mate.

now seriously, that is a very possible idea, instead on a volume pot in the circuit you would replace it with the killswitch. the only problem i can see is that it might be hard to get a switch to fit in the hole left by the volume knob.

He asked if it was a good idea..

And I don't know if it is.
I'd replace one of the tone knobs instead, that way you still have the option of fine adjustments to your guitars volume if you wind up needing that down the track. Unless you're a big user of the tone controls.
I wouldnt replace the volume knob. You never know when you might need to clean up the distortion etc. Frankly you're probably not using the guitar well if you have it cranked up to 10 all the time and you shouldnt disregard that option. why dont you put a kill switch in a tiny pedal-ish form then bolt it to your guitar?
Quote by samlocke14
well why bother posting then.

Because he wanted an answer so I gave him mine?
Buckethead has one on his guitar, why don't you ask him?
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
NO, i dont know....

joking!

but itd be smarter to use it on a tone switch like some other guy said
"Could I have egg, sausage, chips and beans, and a tea." - Nick Mason
Quote by RedFez64
I wouldnt replace the volume knob. You never know when you might need to clean up the distortion etc.
I got a pedal for adjusting volume and distortion etc so i hardly use the volume knob.
It's still useful. Strats have enough space in the rout to put a killswitch real close to the volume knob. A little up and to the left. I've installed them there before, I would suggest doing that. All you have to do is make a hole in the pickguard, no need to replace anything or get into serious woodworking.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Put it right here:

At the edge of the cavity, between the selector switch and the volume knob. I have done this on a couple guitars, and it requires no routing.

Also, a tip for killswitches:
When installing, make sure that when the killswitch is on (no sound from guitar), it is in the up position, so that when you are strumming you don't accidently hit it into the on (no sound from guitar) position.
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Crybaby Original Wah
EHX Big Muff
A/B Selector Pedal
Last edited by PadawanGeek at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by PadawanGeek
Put it right here:

At the edge of the cavity, between the selector switch and the volume knob. I have done this on a couple guitars, and it requires no routing.

Also, a tip for killswitches:
When installing, make sure that when the killswitch is on (no sound from guitar), it is in the up position, so that when you are strumming you don't accidently hit it into the on (no sound from guitar) position.

Oooh nice
Think il do just that, thanks! ^.^
Quote by Benjami
Oooh nice
Think il do just that, thanks! ^.^

No problem, good luck!
Fender Mexican Strat W/ Custom HSS Pickups
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony
Blackheart BH5H
Epiphone 1x12 Cab
Vox AD15VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion