Page 1 of 3
I've never really been to a live show yet mainly because my area doesn't get a lot of good bands or when there is a good band I'm **** broke. But I'm planning on going to Gigantour this year and I have a few questions moshing. I don't really plan on doing any because I'd rather enjoy the music and headbang till my eyeballs fall out than have my brain smashed by a bunch of dudes, but if the mood strikes me I wanna know what I'm getting myself into.

Can pits just pop up anywhere?
Whats the chance of me getting raped by a 6'5 bald guy named Bubba?
Do people really randomly punch each other?
Wtf is slam dancing?

I mainly want to see Megadeth (dunno what the rest of the lineup is this year) I guess the moshing depends on the band.
Neverender:SSTB 4/19

Goddamn this cursed iron fist. When I lose control!

[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']You, sir, win epically.
It's the sort of thing you can only really learn about by going and watching it. However, mosh pits always look way more violent than they actually are, so I'd recommend just jumping into one at some point just so you get an idea. Try to make sure it's one with a lot of people involved though, because ones with a lot of space and less people can get quite violent.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
it depends on the atmosphere of the place i think. some people go with the intention of basically fighting as many people as possible, but its usually just alot of rough smashing into each other. sometimes having a big guy (you're right, he's usually called buba) is fun, cos you and probably other people will see him as a challenge.

and yes, they can pop up anywhere. but usually a load of people will sort of push open a big cirlce just before a chorus or breakdown and then go nuts, so you'll usually have time to decide whether to join in or not. but not always
ive been hit by a swinging arm in the eye (ouch, by the way) but ive never seen a random punch. heard about them though, so maybe they happen. its probably bubba giving them out though.......

yeah ^^^ what he said about violence, they aren't as violent as they look.
"A good song should make you want to tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs." - Tom Morello
Last edited by NiK-117 at Feb 16, 2009,
Yeah they really aren't that bad, although it is not uncommon to recieve a punch to the head.
Can pits just pop up anywhere?

Yes.
Whats the chance of me getting raped by a 6'5 bald guy named Bubba?

Depends what band you listen to, if it's Fall Out Boy it'll more likely be a weedy puney geek.
Do people really randomly punch each other?

Again, depends which band. Raging Speedhorn used to have a pit crew who went on tour to basically injure in the pit. At leeds a few years ago i went in the Fall Out Boy 'pit' specifically to hurt people, because 'moshing' is gay.
Wtf is slam dancing?

Swinging arms round whilst stomping.

Pits are stupid, they're supposed to be people 'dancing' as such to the music, but they're just little stupid kids who think they have to push people. The ONLY things acceptable in a pit IMO are circling, headbanging, and individual dancing. The entire point originally was that people go crazy, and if they bang into you it's an accident. But now people go in there to push other people and act hard instead of feeling the music.
How about crowd surfing? Seems like an easy way to lose your pants lol. Do people pull you into pits against your will often?

Whats circling btw?

Last edited by MasterExploder0 at Feb 16, 2009,
You're thinking about it way too much.

Just go to a gig and enjoy yourself.

Everybody tends to follow the unwritten rules of pitting anyway. As for people pulling you into a pit, yeah it happens quite a lot so just mosh your way back out.
Too bad there's probably gonna be no Gigantour this year. Right after Priest Feast they have to finish the album.
Quote by Guitarlord44
Too bad there's probably gonna be no Gigantour this year. Right after Priest Feast they have to finish the album.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. On the Gigantour forums Dave posted a thread asking people to recommend some bands so idk.

Quote by MasterExploder0
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. On the Gigantour forums Dave posted a thread asking people to recommend some bands so idk.

i wasnt trying to rain on your parade. i went to gigantour and want to go again but it just dosnt look good.
Quote by Ikonoklast

At leeds a few years ago i went in the Fall Out Boy 'pit' specifically to hurt people, because 'moshing' is gay.

Oh yeah, TS, try to stay away from prats like this.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
Wow I was expecting to get my ass flamed off, guess the pit isn't full of assholes. Would it be a good idea to like ask someone at the gig what the best approach would be or would he just end up shoving me in?

Last edited by MasterExploder0 at Feb 16, 2009,
The pit is full of assholes. But you actually asked a decent question for once.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by MasterExploder0
Wow I was expecting to get my ass flamed off, guess the pit isn't full of assholes. Would it be a good idea to like ask someone at the gig what the best approach would be or would he just end up shoving me in?

I imagine the most common reaction would be that you get laughed at...only a real arse would proceed to shove you in.
Quote by justinb904

Quote by MetalMessiah665

Quote by azzemojo
I'll just ask Dave to tell Jesus to protect me XD

Quote by MasterExploder0
How about crowd surfing? Seems like an easy way to lose your pants lol. Do people pull you into pits against your will often?

Whats circling btw?

I lost my wallet crowd surfing once. Luckily some dude found it and held it up in the air and returned it.
Quote by duncang
It's the sort of thing you can only really learn about by going and watching it. However, mosh pits always look way more violent than they actually are, so I'd recommend just jumping into one at some point just so you get an idea. Try to make sure it's one with a lot of people involved though, because ones with a lot of space and less people can get quite violent.

i wish i could say the RATM mosh was better than it looked. there were no girls within a 50m radius of the stage and there were people dropping left right and centre. best thing about it though was that everyone was jumping and dancing together and not being fags who just hit each other for nothing. i vommitted my guts out as soon as it was over, i was exhausted.
sorry to hi-jack but
me and my friend might go to soundwave to see devildriver, inflames and lamb of god. Where pretty young and I'm not really that well bulky although my friend is and we're pretty short. Would going be a good idea or would people like us get our asses kicked?
キタ━━━━(・∀・)━━━━!!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
shred knows more about everything than anyone i think

Quote by IchiKurosaki
i hope we never meet shjred honestly i love you but im scared of you
Quote by Shredoftheday
sorry to hi-jack but
me and my friend might go to soundwave to see devildriver, inflames and lamb of god. Where pretty young and I'm not really that well bulky although my friend is and we're pretty short. Would going be a good idea or would people like us get our asses kicked?

MOST people look out for kids falling in trouble noone likes to see kids get hurt
GO Islanders!

J!E!T!S! JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
last time i went to a show there was a giant bald headed middle aged man in the middle of the pit just fuckin shit up
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Last edited by frozen_soul at Feb 18, 2009,
Quote by Guitarlord44
i wasnt trying to rain on your parade. i went to gigantour and want to go again but it just dosnt look good.

Uh... Why?
Priest Fest finishes soon, they can finish the album and then go on tour straight away?
It's only February guys... the album only has vocals and guitar solos left, last I heard...
Quote by sketchy z
MOST people look out for kids falling in trouble noone likes to see kids get hurt

This is what I always do.

You'll also find that most people there hate those hardcore dancing idiots who try and hurt people, and will usually try and make it uncomfortable for them by giving them a solid thwack or two to get them to calm the hell down.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Can pits just pop up anywhere? You can normally spot were ones gna be but yeah it can seem like it..normally up front though
Whats the chance of me getting raped by a 6'5 bald guy named Bubba? Umm pretty low
Do people really randomly punch each other? Only douche's
Wtf is slam dancing? ..No idea
Just avoid talking about them as much as possible or you might turn into a mosh pit poser.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Bubba also goes by the name John Bob..
So watch out for him..
Also...
He does wear a wig too

Be careful.
Best way to find out what a pit is and how they work is to just go for one. I went to Defenders of the Faith last week and I had never been in a pit before. I just sort of watched it for the first 3 bands and wondered whether I should go in or not. Then I just said **** it and went in for Lamb of God, so glad I did.

Depending on the kind of show the pit will be different, at a metal show most people will help you up if you're in trouble. Though at a HxC gig you're more likely to get punched in the face and kicked while you're on the floor. These are both generalisation though, so it will vary.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Moshing is the ****, it's so much fun! People pick you up if you fall down, oh and if you see any hardcore kids dancing like terrorize them, and push them out of the way.
Moshing is crap! I didn't spend £40+ to push and get pushed around or get punched in the head.
they look worse then they are

when your in them you get so much adrenaline going round you cant feel anything anyway!!

and they really are good fun and all in good humour, no ones out to actually hurt you.

well one guy last night did swing his fist really hard at this dude but missed but them guys are rare
Quote by MasterExploder0
How about crowd surfing? Seems like an easy way to lose
your pants lol. Do people pull you into pits against your will often?

Whats circling btw?

some venues chuck you out for crowd surfing but most are fine about it, and its so fun!

as long as youve got a belt on youll be fine!

and circle pitting is where everyone runs around in a massive circle, i prefer these to moshing, proper good fun!
Lol they just run around in circles? That's not very metal unless you got Corpsegrinder singing Ring Around the Rosie

Quote by MasterExploder0
Lol they just run around in circles? That's not very metal unless you got Corpsegrinder singing Ring Around the Rosie

Well considering you run around very quickly in a massive mob, it's very fun, two circle pits collided at the gig I was at, completely insane.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MasterExploder0
That's not very metal unless you got Corpsegrinder singing Ring Around the Rosie

Ring Around the Rosie is metal as fuck no matter who is singing it.

On topic: Pits are fun as hell man. Don't think about it too much and just jump in.
I'm gonna start a mosh pit at a Jonas Brothers concert, there's bound to be some butch 13 year old girl that's worth a challenge.
Moshing can be fun, until a hardcore fag goes in the pit. But sooner or later he'll get taken out.
METAL HEAD FOREVER
Quote by Aussie_Warrior
I'm gonna start a mosh pit at a Jonas Brothers concert, there's bound to be some butch 13 year old girl that's worth a challenge.

lmao. sigged

pits are usually quite friendly... in the sense that if you fall over, someone will pick you up pretty much straight away.

i wouldn't go in if i didn'y have quite a few mates their, cos if anything goes sour (which is unlikely) i know they can help me out.
Page 1 of 3