I've just been messing around with my keyboard in my basement. It's just a cheap keyboard so it doesn't sound that great. I hooked it up to my Crate V18, and it sounds much better.

Will something blow up, or am I fine? I don't make it go very loud..
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
i used to have the keyboards play through a fender bass amp in my band and nothing bad ever came of that.
Stay thirsty my friends...

Jackson DXMG Dinky
Bugera 333XL
ISP Decimator

Quote by thewho68
This thread is as of much use as Anne Frank's drumset.
Keys through a bass amp is no prob. Don't do it through a guitar amp, though, for the same reasons you wouldn't play a bass through a guitar amp. Guitar amps aren't built to handle those frequencies, and you WILL blow it up unless you're either really lucky or really careful.

Don't say you weren't warned.

The good news is that, if you have a keyboard amp, you can use it for bass or vocals if you ever find yourself in a pinch.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
Keys through a bass amp is no prob. Don't do it through a guitar amp, though, for the same reasons you wouldn't play a bass through a guitar amp. Guitar amps aren't built to handle those frequencies, and you WILL blow it up unless you're either really lucky or really careful.

Don't say you weren't warned.

The good news is that, if you have a keyboard amp, you can use it for bass or vocals if you ever find yourself in a pinch.

CT

Thanks. I may just have to shop for a keyboard amp now.

But really thanks for saving my amp

your amp wont blow up, if you have an open backed cabinet you might mess up the speaker though, and if you use ti to play any basslines they wont sound very good.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Are you suggesting that it's okay to play bass through a guitar amp too?

I guess it depends on what keyboard sounds he's using. Most keyboards have a range that extends to and below that of a bass guitar. It cost me once when I played a bass through a guitar amp. I wouldn't even think about going there again.

If he's just doing like trumpet samples or something, then he'd be fine.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Last edited by axemanchris at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by axemanchris
Are you suggesting that it's okay to play bass through a guitar amp too?

I guess it depends on what keyboard sounds he's using. Most keyboards have a range that extends to and below that of a bass guitar. It cost me once when I played a bass through a guitar amp. I wouldn't even think about going there again.

If he's just doing like trumpet samples or something, then he'd be fine.

CT

I've done it before, hundreds of times, without having problems, it really depends on the cab more than anything, and how high you set the volume.

Last.fm
Okay... the critical factor is how you set the volume. But, given that you can plug a guitar into a guitar amp and pretty much dime it all day long without blowing it up, and that with a bass, you really have to watch the volume (ballpark, maybe 40%), the suggestion is that guitar amps are not built to handle those kinds of things, and you risk damage.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Okay... the critical factor is how you set the volume. But, given that you can plug a guitar into a guitar amp and pretty much dime it all day long without blowing it up, and that with a bass, you really have to watch the volume (ballpark, maybe 40%), the suggestion is that guitar amps are not built to handle those kinds of things, and you risk damage.

CT

The cab enclosure is actually really important too, closed back cabs usually don't have a problem handling bass.

Last.fm
I guess it'd work okay, but I won't risk it. I really don't turn the volume up more than 40% on the keyboard and like 10% on the amp. It's an 18 watt tube amp, so it's a little loud for my basement which is all I use it for, no gigs yet.

You can play it too a guitar amp, but not at full volume or it will blow up. (but this could even happen with playing a guitar at full volume).

At half volume no problem, they can take quite some, + the preamp regulates it, like it's not like you plug in a 2000 watt audio system which would definitely break it apart. Unless ur keyboard isn't passive (like the big keyboard of korg and the like with built in preamps and gain regulators)

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
lol playing a keyboard through a guitar amp will not blow it up. ive done it tons of times its fine.

"For live performances, synthesizers and drum machines or keyboards are often put through guitar amps to create a richer sound than can be obtained by patching the direct-outs right into the PA system. Guitar amplifiers can add tonal coloration, roll off unwanted high frequencies, and add overdrive or distortion. Deep Purple's Jon Lord played his Hammond Organ through a distorted Marshall amp to create a sound more suitable for heavy rock. String instruments and vocals are also put through guitar amps to add distortion effects. Some blues harp players also use guitar amps to create a warmer overdrive sound for their harmonica playing; 1950s-style "tweed" amps are often used for this purpose, such as Fender Bassman combo amps."

from wikipedia. its fine to play a keyboard through it. people have done it before, in fact i personally know people who do.