Hello fellow UGers...

I've been playing for a couple of years now...and i think it's about time to get a new guitar...I had made a mistake recently by purchasing an Epi SG custom AI ...which was nice...but i hated the neck because it was very very very fat and chunky...My hands are relatively small in size so when i giged a couple of times with this guitar...my hands hurt like my balls after a hit...

SO...i decided to sell this thing...and maybe get a fender strat mim so that i can have real tool that i can use and modify after a while...

My dillema is...WHICH ONE???? I mean i have tried the Standard strat mim...It was nice...Yet...i am curious about the 50s 60s 70s classic player strats...or the simple 50s 60s and classic series...Also I have tried the Highway 1 tele...it was okay...but i have no clue about the strat...

If there is anyone who has used any one of these guitars and has relatively small hands can you give me a bit of feedback about the feeling of the neck??
rIG:
My old clasic guitar-It desreves to be first!
Yamaha APX-8A
Epi Les Paul Standard 03'(w/Dimarzio Super Distortion + Tone Zone both split)
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Boss MD-2 (lost it somewhere)
Digitech Rp-200a (wish i lost it...)
I would get a Squier Classic Vibe over an MIM anyday. Don't let the name fool you.
Does it have some sort of slim neck??? I have tried some squires over the years and they were decent...although they had a sort of plastic feel to them....
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Quote by rainbow_rising
Does it have some sort of slim neck??? I have tried some squires over the years and they were decent...although they had a sort of plastic feel to them....

Play it and see, I personally really like it.
Quote by Horlicks
I would get a Squier Classic Vibe over an MIM anyday. Don't let the name fool you.

Your an idi--wait, I think we've had this same argument before, complete with my usual opening of "your an idiot".

Anyway, TS, genres? Amp? Pricerange?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
Quote by necrosis1193
Your an idi--wait, I think we've had this same argument before, complete with my usual opening of "your an idiot".

*You're.
Quote by Horlicks
*You're.

Eh, I've made that typo ever since I started using that line, I figured I'd let it stay.

If you are as into Rainbow and Blackmore as your name leads, I would think a HSS or HH set up would be best. Tele's tend to have thinner necks generally. But why just Fender? Plenty of manufacturers have quality "thin" neck guitars.
dude Fender MIM's for the win.... i love mine it has a pretty thin neck and i have fairly small hands too.
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
Basically i have created this account around 4 years ago...so I was alot into that music back then and ever since...that's why i bought a les paul...(wierd...)...yet now im a bit of a maiden and prog rock type of listener and the same in player...

so im going to change the pups on the guitar for something more hot...over time of course...but im mainly interested in the difference between the 50s 60s 70s stuff...which to me is plain stupid....why fender has made 1000000000000 different versions of the exact same guitar?? why give us bollockache???
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Get teh invaydorz they have teh brootalz powor!
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
i would say no strat unless it is american made, and even that is a stretch. the necks are usually still thick.

i would reccomend getting an Ibanez RG. they are pretty good quality and not too expensive, and their necks are really thin.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yess....ibanez....ive tried a few crappy rg's a few prestiges....and a jem....and i didn't really like the neck for one reason...it was like long narrow piece of wood...but it was still nice...yet the floyd is hell to live with...tune..untune...blablabla....

By saying thin...i don't mean flat on both sides....i mean narrow...and not chunky in the palm....
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Quote by rtfk101
i would say no strat unless it is american made, and even that is a stretch. the necks are usually still thick.

i would reccomend getting an Ibanez RG. they are pretty good quality and not too expensive, and their necks are really thin.

Strat necks aren't really thick when compared to an LP you know...
Quote by voteforpedro36
Strat necks aren't really thick when compared to an LP you know...

Indeed but I played a delux tele and it had a thicker neck than my Love Rock (LP copy)
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Quote by necrosis1193

The classic vibes are many times better than the MIM Fenders. That would make you the idiot, I believe.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by srvflood
The classic vibes are many times better than the MIM Fenders. That would make you the idiot, I believe.

I compared them when I bought mine, along with an old used American Standard. To be honest, while they were better than most Squiers, I just didn't feel the Squiers held much more than a candle to the MIM's.

Just a little up date...went out and tried an japanese fender tele with a bigsby vibrato stick...it was pretty good....didn't realize that it was an v shape neck...so i guess v shapes are good for people with small hands...
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Quote by rainbow_rising
Just a little up date...went out and tried an japanese fender tele with a bigsby vibrato stick...it was pretty good....didn't realize that it was an v shape neck...so i guess v shapes are good for people with small hands...

How much was it? That's a nice guitar man.
I'm gonna go ahead and say that because Gibsons have narrower necks, narrower string spacing, and shorter scale that they would be more ideal for somebody with small hands. Gibson neck profiles also vary from model to model and year to year, as do Fender ones - it's all about finding a guitar that has a neck that you like.

That said, I have "girl hands" and what I eventually realized is that there is really no correlation between hand size and what is best in terms of neck thickness, width, scale, and string spacing - it's a combination of such factors and the neck profile itself that determine comfort. I've played comfortable fat necks, uncomfortable fat necks, great-feeling skinny necks, horrible skinny necks, V-shaped necks, D-shaped necks, C-shaped necks... you really need to just play a guitar before you buy it in order to make an assessment.

In short, the whole "I have small hands so I should have _______ kind of guitar" argument is bunk, and I'm legitimately qualified to say so since I am in the sme boat as you.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
I would try playinga PRS SE Singlecut or similar in the shop. They are supposed to have bigger necks but I can't really say I have noticed any great difference. You can still get last years model cheap (£350) in a few places. Since some guitars are painful for you to play I would try out quite a few to find one that feels right. The Fender MIM strat is an nice guitar to play when set up properly. Most shops would have one in for you to have a go on.
Quote by gregs1020
How much was it? That's a nice guitar man.

That was around 900 euros or something....it had a nice brownish natural colour...

By the way...i must agree a bit with the guy who said about the gibson's skinny necks...As a matter of fact i have an 03' epi lp standard...neck is perfect...blablabla...yet...my friend about a year or so bought a gibson sg special...for 1200 euros..(stores in greece rip the crap out of your wallet..)....and this guitar to this day is HORRIBLE....

The neck is very uncomfortable....very chunky...almost like you're holding an orange with strings attached to it!! Plus, it feels cheap...intonation is screwed all over the neck!

So much for a cheap american guitar...Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it has to be ****!!
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Okay...good news for people with small hands or practically no hands at all....

I went out today for a hunt of MIM strats in athens...and here is what i have tried...50s classic strat (surf green..beautiful that thing..) 60s Squirel Vibes Stratocaster...09' Standard Strat MIM...

Also to my HUGE amazement i tried a couple of other guitars as well at the same time...just to compare...09' American Standart strat....Eric Johnson Strat...David Gilmour Relic strat(one of the 600)...

Ok...

What did my hands notice after such a huge test of Strats...??

1) 50s 60s 70s classic are superb guitars...I could barely tell the difference between the american one...Yet..there is one thing that ruined it for me...The radius is to small (7.25 to be exact). What this means is that the neck is Waaaay to circular at the frets and you have to have high action on the strings...so that ruined my day.

2) The "Squirel" strat was good...yet while you play..and you listen in a bit, you can actually hear some chinese guy screaming at u "it is made in china!!" Have a go...try it your local guitar store...

3) The Standard strat was a bit of a well...i don't really know..there are two sides of this guitar...the neck in terms of feeling is good...yet it not very well made..actually let me say, not finished...it was not glossy style like the 50s one. That was a bit of a let down..BUT..If we stick to the wise saying that says "The LP is a musical instrument but the Strat is a tool", then this makes sense...the standard mexican start is mean to be a tool...its neck is meant to be unfinished...so that you use this guitar and not really care about what happens to it...

If i could compare the feelings of the neck well...i can't really compare it...all of them are different...every single neck from the gilmour one to the "squirel" one...are different...but i must admit i almost cried when i played the gilmour strat...its heavenly.....
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8
Last edited by rainbow_rising at Feb 20, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
I compared them when I bought mine, along with an old used American Standard. To be honest, while they were better than most Squiers, I just didn't feel the Squiers held much more than a candle to the MIM's.

still you can't really call him an idiot - maybe you tried some exceptionally good MIMs against some slightly defective CVs?

I've played a few classic vibes and i think on average they are about on par with the older MIMs (pre-2006 at least), and i much prefer them to the newer MIMs (i really have disliked every single one i tried). But there's no room for blanket statements when comparing guitars. Thing is, I feel that the classic vibes are generally much better value than MIM fenders, which bear the all important fender logo which is somehow enough to double the price of any guitar (yet i have 3 guitars bearing this logo and don't feel ripped off), despite how nasty and cheap the hardware on the classic vibes seems to be
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yeah...true...they play good...but the woods are nasty....the whole thing feels a bit plastic....I tried both guitars today...
rIG:
Yamaha APX-8A
Kustom Dual 30RC
Boss Gt-8