Ive been playing for a few years but its been very on and off. i still havent mastered bar chords especially on the first fret i just wanted to know is there any exercise i can do to improve the strength in my first finger?

exercises can include pieces of music
just practice mainly. a good thing to do to get your other fingers used to them is to play open chords without your first finger. also make sure you use the side of your first finger.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Practice them, and get good at doing them higher up around the 7th fret before you worry about moving down the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Practice them at a nice easy fret, around the 11th fret, and once you get decent at that, lower the fret so it is more of a stretch, it is just a matter of practice.
Quote by Aretium
Ive been playing for a few years but its been very on and off. i still havent mastered bar chords especially on the first fret i just wanted to know is there any exercise i can do to improve the strength in my first finger?

exercises can include pieces of music

I would recommend to play a song with some bare chords and arpeggio. Then you will hear exactly which strings are muted or do not sound clear. And there also should be open chords - there will be rest for your finger.
Something like "Love Hurts" by Nazareth with G on 3rd fret and a lot of open chords.
Attachments:
Nazareth - Love Hurts.zip