Hey UG. This thing has been nagging me for a while... You know how when relatives turn up and they see your guitar and they go "Oh! You play the guitar! Play something... " When that happens I go on to play the riff of Back in Black, Iron Man or something metal. More than half of the time, they walk away as I'm playing...

Not that I'm playing it wrong or anything. Just that they aren't fans of rock or metal... And all I can play is metal or rock. See where I'm going? I just wanna be able to play this song which they can enjoy as well. Though I'm a metal head, I'm not averse to slow, melodic songs. And I'd love to learn a couple of 'em.

Few things I need to say before you start suggesting songs. I can't fingerpick. I do plan to get that technique down in a while. But not right now. So no songs which have to be fingerpicked please. And I have to be able to sing along. I can't reach very high notes. My voice is pretty bassy. I can sing Wonderful Tonight by Clapton one scale lower... Hope you get the picture.

And yes, I am aware of the thread which lists songs for Beginners, Intermediate etc. Didn't find it too helpful considering my situation...

So suggestions please?

Edit: I do know how to play Wonderful Tonight by Clapton. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

HAHA im just laughing at the mental image of uncomfortable family members walking out the room and just blanking you out as the odd nephew.
Thanks guys... I'd love to hear more opinions...

Quote by marko'd
HAHA im just laughing at the mental image of uncomfortable family members walking out the room and just blanking you out as the odd nephew.

It's so goddamn annoying when they do that...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Last edited by Forgotmyid at Feb 16, 2009,
clapton, tears in heaven, layla unplugged
hendrix, wind cries mary, hey joe
led zepp, stairway, babe i'm gonna leave you
santana, almost anything
muse, unintended
that should keep you going for a while
EDIT: unintended is not great for a low voice :p would be funny though.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by TonalPerfection
Stairway to heaven for sure, my friends play it a lot, it seems to impress their relatives.

I can't finger pick...

Quote by tallicaown
i just say my pickups broken...

they believe me

My acoustic gives me away...

@Doive : Thanks. I'll look 'em up. Keep the songs coming guys. I could really use your help!
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

if you're not in a singing mood - try tears in the rain by satch as well
rhcp, slow cheetah, californication

if you need to learn to fingerpick just start playing songs you know but without a pick, worked for me
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I tried playing the songs I knew with my fingers. Ended up hurting them... Really bad technique...

Anything other than Clapton, Led Zeppelin?
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown

Last edited by Forgotmyid at Feb 16, 2009,
Try some CCR. it might help.
Gear:
Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
Peavey TNT 115
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Blackstar Ht-1R
Ccr?
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown