My floyd rose is set up for 10s. I really want to get much thicker strings though - I played a set of .13s a while ago and they were really really thick sounding which I liked a lot, although they were a lot harder (got easier after you get used to it though) to play on.

If I put them on my floyd rose would it blow up? If it would how would I fix it?

edit: right, I use an RG370DXGP3. Look up the specs to see what kind of FR it is or whatever else is needed to know
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
Last edited by Brian 1.0 at Feb 16, 2009,
If you put those strings onto your guitar....our arrows will blot out the sun!!!
No its fine, you will need extra springs to counteract the string tension though.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
It will most likely cause some nasty problems. Your bridge will come flying up, and so will your action.

To remedy this, just tighten the screws under the back panel as much as is needed (probably as much as you can), until the bridge levels out.

Hope that helps.
Quote by Absent Mind
No its fine, you will need extra springs to counteract the string tension though.

Explain further -- what do you mean by extra springs? What types/etc should I look for?

Quote by longestsoloever
It will most likely cause some nasty problems. Your bridge will come flying up, and so will your action.

To remedy this, just tighten the screws under the back panel as much as is needed (probably as much as you can), until the bridge levels out.

Hope that helps.

I recall someone who set up my FR the first time I broke a string setting it up for 10s by tightening the back. This did lower the bridge a lot.

If it does not lower as much as I would like for a more comfortable action would springs remedy this?
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
I didnt have anything planned out, and I didn't know **** about improvising, so it was like "OH SHI- SOLO TIME" so I kerry-kinged it.
from what ive read elsewhere, you will most likely also have to adjust your trus rod as your neck is going to have extra pull on it causing it to bend slighty? am i correct here?
Not a good idea - the bridge will be useless.

Floyd's are designed to work at an optimum tension, they're supposed to be fairly light and kind of sproingy, that's what gives them their signature feel and allows you to do all those cool tricks like flutters. the optimum tension is a set of 9's in standard tuning. A lot of players use heavier strings on a Floyd, but they also detune which of course compensates for the higher tension you'd have if the strings were in standard.

If you used 13's in standard you'd have to ramp up the spring tension to such a degree that the bridge will be far too stiff to use effectively. Also, all that pressure will make mincemeat of the cheap, soft knife edges on your Edge 3.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 16, 2009,
As seagull said, its not a great idea on trems with good knife edges, let alone on the Edge III

The springs are in the back cavity, they normally come with 3 like so

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/images/DCP_3157.JPG

but you will need to install more

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
IF you want bass strings (ok they aren't bass strings, you get the idea) on your guitar, a FLoyd probably isn't going to be a good choice. As others said, it is going to be super stiff and put a lot of pressure on your knife edges.

Go buy another guitar that has a standard tail piece bridge if you want fat strings like that.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50