when someone says "Recently I increased my playing speed from 78 bpm to 170 bpm" do they mean playing 16th notes or what? i always look around sites and people say you should be able to play and such and such bpm and never really understood what that meant. someone enlighten me?
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
bpm stands for "Beats per minute", baisicly it means how fast a person is playing.

you didnt answer anything

you cant know unless they say
you didnt answer anything

you cant know unless they say

And you are not making the slightest bit of sense.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
^^heh, correct. Playing whole notes at 170 bpm isn't achievement so I think it's safe to asume they mean 16th.

edit: ^I know what he means, he makes sense just fine.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Last edited by FretboardToAsh at Feb 16, 2009,
Quote by FretboardToAsh
^^heh, correct. Playing whole notes at 170 bpm isn't achievement so I think it's safe to asume they mean 16th.

edit: ^I know what he means, he makes sense just fine.

They only say "I increased my speed from x to y" when refering to a specific song. So you take the notes within that song and apply the tempo to it. It's always contextual.

If someone says "I've been playing at 120bpm and now I'm at 180bpm" and they don't give any frame or refernce to go with that, they aren't making any sense at all.

Since most people that worry about playing fast love straight 16th note music FretboardtoAsh is probably correct in his assumption, but still, anyone talking about BPM absolutely has to reference some song or excercise when saying so.
^ yeah, like if a song is played at say, 192 bpm, with something like sixteenth note sweeping, people usually start out slow, at something like maybe 70bpm, and work their way up to the desired tempo. You have to use the term bpm in context to a song or exercise, as dullsilver_mike said.
cool thanks, i wanted to just make sure i wasnt stupid lol. I rarely see anyone give a frame of reference, they only say i can play at at a certain bpm. which is dumb, because tech someone can play whole notes at like 800 bpm with no trouble at all lol.
16ths at 170bpm..

Thats just over 45 notes a second.

Riiight
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by lilcurtis
i can only get up to like 110 bpm doing 16ths =(

Dude, thats not exactly bad.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
It just means the speed at which someone plays usually with a metronome. When you learn speed techniques you want to learn it the gradually increase your BPM with a metronome.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
so people go around the interwebz bragging about how fast they can play? tis made of phail if you ask me
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by willieturnip
Dude, thats not exactly bad.

well its not fast enough to play the rhythm for hollier than thou by metallica =( lol. im actually not big into speed playing, but for certain things i like it.
Quote by willieturnip
16ths at 170bpm..

Thats just over 45 notes a second.

Riiight

That's... wrong.

4 x 170 = 680.
680 / 60 = 11.33.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.