So what's the difference? (other than the obvious answer... i.e: pickups)
If love is blind I guess I'll find myself a cane...
Wood quality, build quality, pick-ups, wiring, hardware, the logo, overall feel.
Gibsons are just overall generally ''better''.

Wait 'til MrFlibble pops in, he knows a lot more about Gibsons than me.
The quality of the wood, the hardware that goes on it, the work that goes into creating and assembling it.

Pretty much everything about the guitar. Thus the reason it's $1,000 more.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
a kazoo will rock some ass for like 85 cents.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Krik harmret cuz he can prey der gertur wit te wurr wurr pedar!!

http://www.myspace.com/caledonia
Gibsons are in my opinion overpriced... The reason for me getting a PRS, but A true Gibson will have great craftmanship. They wait till they get that quality wood they need, like the others said the finish, pickups, tuners, bridge, fretboard, everything man go to harmonycentral and read reviews.
Quote by killthequeenftw
epiphones ****ing blow

go play them and see the difference

Also epiphones do not blow, for the price they are you can put a good pickup in them and they sound awesome. Please dont be ignorant and give inexperienced opinions.
Gibsons are a bit overpriced, it seems you are paying a lot for the name. That being said, they are great guitars. Don't bash Epiphone though, my first guitar was an Epiphone Les Paul and I still use it. Great beginner guitar.
oh this has to come up every month or so right?

use the searchbar - this thread has been created many times before.

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by ILL BisCuiT
Gibsons are in my opinion overpriced... The reason for me getting a PRS, but A true Gibson will have great craftmanship. They wait till they get that quality wood they need, like the others said the finish, pickups, tuners, bridge, fretboard, everything man go to harmonycentral and read reviews.

PRS is ridiculously overpriced also. You can get a much better Suhr or even a custom for the same price or even cheaper.
I think the main difference is in the electronics and hardware. With hardware and pickup changes an Epi can sound just as good, if not better, than Gibsons. I know a guy who bought a Epi Les Paul gold top for $500 USD a few years ago, I think thats what it cost him, he did a lot of work to it, added P90s, slimmed the neck, put real pearl inlays in it, redid the frets, put bender in it, as well as some other things. Now it is worth well over $1200 and I would put that guitar up against any gibson any day. So Epi's aren't necessarily that bad and are probably more of a value with Gibsons being so overpriced.
Quote by in2thesun88
I think the main difference is in the electronics and hardware. With hardware and pickup changes an Epi can sound just as good, if not better, than Gibsons. I know a guy who bought a Epi Les Paul gold top for $500 USD a few years ago, I think thats what it cost him, he did a lot of work to it, added P90s, slimmed the neck, put real pearl inlays in it, redid the frets, put bender in it, as well as some other things. Now it is worth well over $1200 and I would put that guitar up against any gibson any day. So Epi's aren't necessarily that bad and are probably more of a value with Gibsons being so overpriced.

And how much exactly did all those mods cost him?
Quote by Horlicks
And how much exactly did all those mods cost him?

Not entirely sure, but I imagine it was cheaper than buying an actual Gibson gold top. He knows a lot of people who are in the music business and who deal and make guitar accessories, so I imagine it was cheaper than buying a Gibson.

EDIT: To the post below me: I put Seymour Duncans in my Epi Les Paul Standard and it sound absolutely amazing now. I think Epi makes a good guitar, better than most Washburns IMO. My only problem with them is the fact that the factory pickups are really weak, but they sound awesome with new pickups.
Last edited by in2thesun88 at Feb 16, 2009,
So if i got an Epi LP, and replaced the pups with sum Seymour Duncans, it would still be a not-so-gd guitar?
Will be as good as a Washburn WI66PRO?
If love is blind I guess I'll find myself a cane...
Depends.

If it is an LP Special II... it'll still suck. If it is a Custom or an Ultra or something like that, it'll kick ass.

The higher end Epiphones are actually quite good, some of them would be comparable to Gibsons... it's the lower end ones like the Special II and the LP100 you have to watch out for.
Quote by Kdaggerr
So if i got an Epi LP, and replaced the pups with sum Seymour Duncans, it would still be a not-so-gd guitar?
Will be as good as a Washburn WI66PRO?

I'd take the Washburn over most Epiphones any day.
A few things. Even though I'm a Gibson owner, I'll try my best to be unbiased.

1. Gibson quality is better. They are all American-made, although this doesn't make a huge difference truthfully. I remember reading somewhere that Epiphones tend to be chambered. Although Gibson is starting to chamber some Les Pauls, they tend to be solid throughout.

2. The set-up for the most part is usually fine with both the Gibson and the Epiphone. But chances are that you'd have to put some graphite or lithium on the nut of the Epiphone to prevent string binding (everyone I've talked to has had this oddly enough)

3. The pickups both tend to be hot, but I prefer the sound of the Gibson pickups. It has this 'bite' to it that turns me on nonsexually.

4. Gibsons are much more expensive, but you buy that quality. Same goes for the Epiphone. Gibson is associated with being really good.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
some epiphones are good, some are bad. this is also true with gibsons. I havent found many new gibsons i like but ive played some vintage les pauls that were amazing. I had an epiphone SG custom that played really well but the pickups were terrible. play all the gibsons/epiphones before you buy them.
Gear:
2000 Paul Reed Smith CE-24
ESP EC-1000 w/ Seymour Duncans
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB Plexi 1x12
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
I put a dimarzio drop sonic in my bridge pickup of my Epiphone SG Korina custom and it sounded absoulutley amazing. There are a lot of little things that make Gibson better, like no fretbuzz for example.